Cub Scout Position Specific Training Online - FINALLY!

The Cub Scout position specific training is finally up and running online at MyScouting E-Learning!

There is a module for each Cub level (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos), Cubmaster, Pack Trainer, and Pack Committee.

I was hoping they would fix that running through the Intro to leader specific by making that it's own video module That is recommended to take first. Then put all the other specifics seprate.

Seemed redundant in the classroom setting too. Why if someone had taken the intro piece during their specifics when a Tiger Den Leader couldn't they be told the intro started at 8:30 but the position specific started at 10:30, so they could just come it at that time and skip intro again. I never knew, because it wasn't worth repeating when a den or Webelo leader.. They had been a leader long enough not to need a basic intro repeate 2 or 3 more times year after year.

As to the concept that: "only complaint so far is that you have to repeat the Intro ... with each module" and "True ... but I just clicked through the pages until I did all three 'quizzes' ... it went pretty fast that way", I suspect that this is related somewhat to how this, compared to the full Syllabus, is a bit more condensed in most (but not all) places, both literally, and by virtue of the fact that as a pre-packaged speech you'll not have a Trainer saying "let me flesh that point out for you because it is important or because you ought to know what this Council's resources are", and you won't have anyone asking a question about something that doesn't seem fully explained (except for those who hit "pause" and come over here to post a question while they are in the training).

So, I suspect that for an intended audience of a person who says "my role is Tiger Den Leader and I'm just going to take that", it's probably gonna be no big problem for that person to get that semi-forced "refresher" one year later if they morph into a Cubmaster, Wolf Den Leader or Pack Trainer Role. As noted, one can "click through" a bunch of it and probably be done in about 30 minutes, and even if you dwell on every part you can click and listen to, you're likely done in about an hour.

So the ones who are (like me) getting tired of the Quiz telling you "That's right! . . . Scouts who read Boy's Life are likely to spend more time in the program than Scouts who don't" while you click madly to move on to the next question are probably those who:

(1) have multiple functions (e.g., a mixed den or small pack, or one with a less hands on committee) or are curious about each role (more on them below),

(2) are trainer types (including Pack Trainers) who want to absorb what is within each syllabus to better train and/or promote this tool, or

(3) are suffering from Obsessive / Compulsive disorders, which may include a good number of those in the "trainer types" category! ;^)

Initial reactions:

-- While the On Line version is (for most, but not all, people) less effective than being in a (good) live interactive training, because this is immediately available and shorter than live training, it should reach and help more people faster. Big thumbs up on that.

-- And I like it also as a great tool for a Pack Trainer who would be uncomfortable "doing a full training" or even a "segment" of CSLPST before a "class", because in most cases they would be more comfortable in a small group doing the "point and click" thing on a screen and then taking questions or supplementing about local resources/practices.

-- And I like it a lot as a refresher and as an "after live class" review, since even with a great trainer, not everyone is focused on everything every minute and will pick up stuff the second time through.

-- Plus I think that some items that got mis-emphasized in the CSLPST syllabus are now in line with the actual program.

I assume various bugs will get fixed (e.g., some stray references to certain "required" Wolf and Bear achievements), as that is just the nature of any beast of a project (and evidently is was a beast based on commentaries about the efforts of SL, DS and others). Though if it were up to me, I would in fact put the "common" items together, and make the "specific" items more accessible. While I noted above that (perhaps intentionally) there is a "refresher" benefit to being forced to click through the intro parts when you take on another role in another year, there is a more current downside to effectively "training the team" who will go out and run program in a Pack: because this format puts leaders in job "silos" for training purposes, it works best if for a Packs that has all jobs filled and getting done just exactly like this training. Or, for many of us, not my Pack, since there are always open slots and weak links. Where a leader is stepping up and wanting to learn more, if that leader has to "click through" and do the quizzes all over again, it will be a very diligent or obsessive Tiger Den Leader who will, for example, take the effort to see "what a Cubmaster does" or "what a Committee Member does" or "how is Wolf different (I'm curious)". My $0.02 is that I think the Pack team works better together if, for example, Den Leaders know what Committee Members are supposed to do (to support den leaders) and vice versa. And if one could gain that knowledge in just a 15 minute or so segment, more of the team would know what the rest of the team can/should do.

But all in all . . . great to have this tool.

Bert Bender

Pack and District Trainer

South Fulton District, Atlanta Area Council

Total Leader Training: Let's Train the Team Together to Play the Game Together

I will say, I love it. As a District Committee member, someone who is looking at being a Cub leader down the road when I have little ones, it is a great way for me to see what is behind it all. It's been too long since I've been a CS to remember much, and even then, a lot of the stuff in there we knew nothing about.

All in all, it's a good way for me to see the CS side of things, to help me in my supportive role in the program.

What baffles me is why there is both Wolf and Bear den leader training. Always in the past we've had one course for "Cub Scout" den leaders, which includes leaders of Wolf den and Bear dens. Theoretically, a pack can still have a mixed den of second and third graders. Why the separate modules?

As to why there is both Wolf and Bear den leader training now, I suspect that once one goes the route of separate training for separate rank roles, the logic of "joining" those two has diminished, especially as Tiger has become more like Wolf. There may be as much in common between Wolf and Tiger (e.g., you do all of the 5 or 12 acheivements at your level) as there is between Wolf and Bear (where all of a sudden you have to pick and choose what requirements to do from a bunch of categories).

-- It used to be that Tiger was much different, with different uniform, meeting plan, motto, etc.

Of course, if it was up to me, I'd do a single Den Leader module for all levels, and within it highlight the differences so folks could see the progression, as the differences are basically (a) Advancement Details, and (b) some emphasis on the age/maturity aspects of the applicable level (e.g., need more adult help at Tiger, thus the adult partners).

-- For example, in the Book/Powerpoint syllabus, there is advice to get Webelos Activity Badge Counselors.

-- that applies just as much to the lower ranks, because it is a good thing to get the best parent resource to lead or teach any subject.

And, FWIW as to mixed dens, I've seen them at all levels in small packs: Tiger/Wolf, Bear/Webelos, and levels that jump across all ages.

bbender,

I agree. Ideally, there should just be a generic den leader course (at least off-line). On-line, I can see how it might be ok to have a generic den leader course followed by a short course for each year. Very few den leaders elect to stay at the same level, most of us change from year to year, with the boys.

Yeah, but who brings the herb tea and crullers?

Who do you shake hands with and recognize at the roundtable? Who do you ask questions of and invite to your meeting to help out?

When you're done, you're already home. No chance to pick up that dishwasher powder your spouse asked you get. Who will you commisserate with, oh yeah... Scouter.com. What other excuse will you have to get in among adult type people, without KIDS??

There are advantages to in-person training...