Is a woogle the same as turkshead knot?

A woggle is a form of turk's head. When used as a slide for a necker you call it a woggle.

A turk's head can have any number of bights, leads and strands. Almost anyway, there is a mathematical relation between the three. The number of wraps doesn't matter.

Entry from World dictionary

Woggle

noun

a loop or ring of leather or cord through which the ends of a Scout's neckerchief are threaded

Origin: 1930's: of unknown origin

A Turk's head knot can be used as a woggle.

The official BSA necker slide is representative of a 4 stranded Turk's head knot. The WB necker slide is a 2 stranded Turk's head knot.

I use this knot for a woggle all the time. However, I have a series of 5 woggles on my walking stick I use as a hand grip. The original Turk's head knots were used to cover wooden railings on ships. This allowed the smooth wood to have traction when gripped.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone in that in order to get the parachute cord knot tight enough to not slip it took me about 2 month' time with a needle nose pliers. It was a once-in-a-lifetime project. :)

Stosh

vinyl clothsline works best for making Turksheads. Been making them for years and have them on my walking staves.

Yep 550 cord is a pain to make them out of. Gotta try the neadlenose pliers, if I ever find the time.

When doing Turk's heads around something I prefer a solid braid to a kernmantle. Much easier to work with but not nearly the color selection of paracord. Needle-nose pliers are a must.

I have a 4b21 with 4 wraps on my staff. It took about 8 hours to do.

I started out with a long strand of parachute cord and made sufficient Turk's heads. However, as I worked out the slack, I ended up with about 50' of extra cord I thought about cutting off. I figured it might come in handy so I French whipped it on to the walking stick. One of my ASM's took the easy way out and did his whole handle with the French whip.

One of my major problems with my setup is that I actually tied all 5 Turk's heads onto my 6' closet rod walking stick which I had varnished. That slippery surface was the challenge. The Turk's heads needed to be extremely tight to keep from slipping. That was the challenge and to get the knots next to each other so it looked like one continuous handle.

To tie a French whip handle 12" long will probably take you less than 10 minutes to do. It'll take a wee bit longer with the Turk's head. :)

Stosh

What you have to do then is varnish the knot itself. I was building this sailing dink, and decided to go old fashioned with everything (the ends of the spars are even painted white), so I threw a turkshead onto the oar so that the oarlock couldn't slide off the handle. Then I soaked the oar in thickened epoxy and varnished it. Just a few hours work (minus drying times), and the oar is now water resistant, and the turkshead is not going to be coming off anytime soon.

Just a suggestion for a walking stick, you probably don't want that to get water damaged either.

I was given these knifes as a tip when I was working on fishing boat. Neither of them had handles, so I made my own with a french whipping and a little bit of creativity. Until they got stolen those were the best knives I have ever used.

Just out of curiosity, you guys who say it took forever to make a turkshead that wouldn't slip, was that your first time making one?

Not the first, just the largest. With 4 bights and 21 leads wrapped 4 times it has about 50 ft of 1/16" cord in 6 inches of staff. Think of 7 Woodbadge wiggles with twice the wraps in a single knot. Now tighten it so there is no slippage or wiggle. Lacquer would be redundant as these cords don't move.

I won't be old enough to go to wood babge for a year or two, so I don't really know what one of those looks like.

That was huge, no wonder it took so long.

Unless you plan on protecting the knot from the elements I would not use manila, it has a tendency to rot, and when that happens it really doesn't smell good.

The project was not my first time using Turk's head knots. It's not my last either, :)

What I did (5 Turk's heads side by side) was a major project since it all had to be tight enough not to slip on the dowel.

The next time I take on a similar project I'll still use the parachute cord because of it's durability, but I'll do a Turk's head knot on the top and bottom and French whip in between. This will help keep the French whip from always coming loose at the ends. It also saves me the hassle of doing 3 extra Turk's head knots.

I like using the parachute cord because my walking stick is 6' of closet rod and that starts out quite large in circumference. Parachute cord doesn't add much to the circumference when tied in knots that tend to be somewhat thick even by themselves.

Being parachute nylon, the grip is a wee bit dirtier but looks just like it did 13 years ago when I first put it on. It's been wet many, many times and yet doesn't seem to show any rotting around the edges as it would if it held water against the wood too long while drying.

Being more of a tool than a true walking stick, when I'm on ice in the winter, for example I always reach out 4'-5' and strike the ice to test it's soundness. That constant jarring does not cause the grip to slip.

Stosh