On-line leader specific training

Does anyone have an update as to when the Cub Scout leader specific training will be available on-line? I just downloaded a powerpoint from the national site about the new delivery method and in there is says June 20th. I went to myscouting.org and it still just has a blank space after the header for leader specific training. Just curious. Thanks.

During my councils "Tradeshow of Scouting" in early June we had Donald D. Shephard, Jr., from National present about Cub Scouts 2010 and he had said June 20th was the date for Online Leader Specific training. When that slipped I was not overly surprised because Jamboree was looming in the not to distant future.

Jamboree is over so I figured I would give a call down to his office and see what was going on, he was out of the office, but a woman named Angela answered and kindly told me they expect it to be online this coming Monday, the 16th of August!

Just in time for the influx of all the new Cub Scout Leaders with the start of the school year, she certainly made this DIstrict Training Chairman happy!

Of course this is more of a cautious hope :) lol

Well, I guess Angela was wrong. I have been waiting for on-line leader specific training, but still nothing on MyScouting. My district just announced the next Leader specific training. So now I can choose between getting the training ASAP or leading the last summer pack activity that I planned, a hike combined with an educational program offered at an observatory.

My vote is: do the hike. Just because your district can't get it together to announce dates far enough in advance to allow unit leaders to plan around district events, doesn't mean you should drop your unit activity. Sooner or later (evidently, later) the training will be online and you can get it done then.

My feeling is the district creating a training date for this last minute, is probably because they are doing an ASAP training due to the agitated Cub Leaders who want training before starting up this year, and since National couldn't get their act together, they are stepping in for them.. Bravo!!

Wish I could say I was able to do the same. Just got the syllabus myself, have to get it out to my trainers, and I am unsure if any of us have our heads wrapped around the changes to do an emergancy training.. Due to National dropping the ball. I am just going to have to grin and bear the rotten tomatoes thrown my way at the next roundtable.

Oh come on! Given BSA's track record of late with releases is anyone REALLY surprised?

I am not looking for this anytime before the end of August to mid September, and would not be at all surprised if it ended up a Halloween "treat"!

Personally, I feel that all of the folks at BSA National need to take a course in how to communicate clearly, and effectively. What is the point of their monthly "training updates" if they are never actually "updating" anything.

Did any of you really think that just because a National rep said something that it would become a reality? The truth is that National is so disorganized since the restructure that no one seems to know what is going on anymore, not even the CSE. A friend of mine at National told me that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing anymore,very little inner office communication going on compared to the past, and a general lack of focus and direction by the powers that be.

• 2 weeks later...

BadenP - I EXPECT that they SHOULD know what is going on. And here is where you know I am crazy, I also expect that they should be communicating this type of info freely and regularly to ALL leaders, volunteers included!

BUT last week Mr. Shephards Administrative Assistant pointed me to Ms. Lacobee of Training, who explained to me thay had changed vendors for this training program and they have been VERY upset with how this has been handled, but I should expect to see something online by Friday (or they were termnating the contract with that vendor). Fridays here, and I see a link for Leader Specific - Wolf Cub, but it is a broken link. Here's hoping!

"The truth is that National is so disorganized since the restructure that no one seems to know what is going on anymore, not even the CSE. A friend of mine at National told me that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing anymore,very little inner office communication going on compared to the past, and a general lack of focus and direction by the powers that be."

Huh.

And the funny things is, is the re-org was supposed to fix some of those same problems that existed in the prior organization...

Personally I thought the whole re-org was screwing, and wondering if the group that made the recommendations really had any track record in this area.