Random question here...... First, I have to admit, that I am more of a "lurker" at the forums and rarely post, but do enjoy reading the comments. I am getting ready to be a staffer at Wood Badge later next month. The other troop guides and I were having a conversation in regards to little gifts and such for the patrols. When my husband and I went through course, my troop guide gave a little something for every activity we did (for example, we got a toy car for the front alignment activity), while my husband's troop guide gave one or two things through out the course. So, here is my question.....

For those who have gone through course, what do you think about this? Should I get some of these little gifts? Are they something I should not worry about? Is this something that I should do? Am I worrying about nothing? Just thought I'd ask. Thank you, in advance for any advice.

Julie in WA

I used to be a Beaver, a good old beaver too.....I going to be a staffer, a good old staffer too......

I have more patrol leathers than I will ever know what to do with...

From my perspective as a participant, I think you should have some, but not go overboard. The object of the gifts is to introduce the learners that even a small recognition matters :)

Now, I will take this moment to give you my pet rock: Don't read the #### slides. I'm an adult, I read technical materials at the postgraduate level. Add value to the slides. Even better, although you have to follow the sylabbus, get me doing something that will, when you use the slides, reinforce an activity learned by doing.

In almost every way, I firmly believe that you should always ask yourself this question: Where in the syllabus does it say to do this?

For me, Wood Badge is expensive. Even adding "little" gifts can add up. It already costs to be on staff, the gas money to and from for Staff Developments, the stuff you need for your job (Sheet protectors, folders, etc...), and then to ask Troop Guides to buy extra stuff on top of all their extra work? Not in my neck of the woods. We stick to what's in the syllabus.

Some thing else to consider: We try to let every patrol have the same experience possible on each course. This way friends in other patrols and others have a way to compare notes. Continuity of the program is very important, and it lends itself to a better quality training as it's a uniform experience for everyone. If one patrol does something cool (like a Troop Guide using a sponge to represent how receptive to information we are), then every patrol gets to do it.

Now, that being said -- on our course we let the SPL give out danglies for when things happen, but that's part of the SPL's job to provide spirit and fun. Danglies are handed out for totems, yells, patrol flags, rocket competition awards, etc...

Either go with what's in the syllabus or at least coordinate with the other troop guides. Some folks with too much time and/or money tend to go nuts with this stuff. I agree with j that it should be consistent for the whole course.

Same with the patrols. The ASM-TG should whisper in the patrols ear that they shouldn't feel obligated to give gifts to their TG or anyone on staff. OR that it is expected that all participants kick in $50 each toward TG gifts. OR perhaps something in the middle. Some courses have a tradition that the TG is presented the patrol flag at the end of the course. But the SM or ASM-TG should put the word out one way or the other. It's tacky when one patrol does something for their TG and the others patrols just stare at the ground. It's not as if they can run out and get something.

If someone really feels the need to do something for either the participants or staff, it's best done individually and off-line.

Sure, there's always some apple-polisher in the crowd trying to make everyone else look bad. I've seen it get out of hand, therefore my suggestion that someone on staff spread the word that it is unnecessary.

I got a little hand-made leather "certificate" one of the patrol members made with the totem and everyone's name. It's kinda nice and more than a sufficient token from the patrol.

Many years back I when I participated in the old Cub Scout Wood Badge our Den Leader gave all the members of the Den a Bear Necker Slide. It is kinda nice. It is around some-place. - But where? I'm not exactly sure.

In our area the CD does as a rule present all the staff members with a gift.

I had table-top flip chart holders made for the staff when I was the CD.

Even though they only cost $11.00 each, with a staff of over 20 this soon mounts up.

I had requested that the staff not buy me anything. They chose to disregard my request and bought a really ugly plaque, with flying eagles on it. I have it tucked away in a drawer out of sight.

My big fear about gifts from the TG to the participants is that it can get out of hand. The best gift a TG can give is his or her time and understanding.

Take the time to read and re-read the syllabus. There is nothing in there that isn't there for a reason. Sometimes it takes a while for that reason to become clear.

Take the time to get to know each of the Patrol members and understand their strengths and weaknesses. Some people can sit through the entire presentations and it just seems to go over their head. While others who have attended this sort of course before are so busy telling everyone that they have been there, done that that they too miss a lot of the real meaning of what is going on.

Make sure that you are there for the "Guys" in the patrol. Simple things like returning phone calls and emails mean a heck of a lot more than a lot of junk that will end up hidden in a drawer.

Good Luck and enjoy the course. TG is the best position that there is!

Ea.

I have to second what Eamonn said: Be there for your Patrol ... especially between the two instructional weekends. Even with a crew of experienced Scouters, there are questions which come up. I was grateful for my TG: He made the point very clear before we broke away from weekend 1: For the next month, I am Troop 1 for you. If you ask a question, individually or collectively, I will get you an answer.

In my dealings with my TGs this year (as ASM-TG), I stress the time and efforts needed to be a great TG. All eight are amazing Scouters with lots of leadership experience. For the two weekends, the time in between, and the time that they're assigned as ticket counselor, they are the heart and sole of Troop 1. All of our efforts as staff support their efforts as Troop Guide. If they take the time to prepare, absorb the material, use all the skills taught in the syllabus, be patient, and concentrate on doing their best (especially the first weekend), the troop with perform and surprise us all!

Thank you for your quick replies and responses. After giving it more thought and reading through what was said, I think I am going to adopt the Cub Scout method-KSIMIF and go from there. Thank you for wise words of wisdom!!! Now I am off to reread through the syllabus and finish working on my presentations. Thanks again!

YIS

Julie

The guides at our course gave us hand-crafted totems to hang from our Patrol flag for the various activities. As far as i could tell, these items were made from the same crafting materials and tools that we were using for various activities throughout the course, other than perhaps some strips of wood used for backing.

They didn't give anything to individual patrol members.

Now, we had some t-shirts and patches made up on our own for our patrol. Due to price scaling, we ordered enough patches that each person on staff will get one (if we ever catch up with them all, so far, the SPL, ASPL, CD and our guide have gotten them). We also gave a t-shirt to our guide and to members of staff who went through the course as Bobwhites, which was only the CD and another guide.