How to apply for the Pack Trainer Award

It is my opinion, that the requirements for the Pack Trainer award are the most difficult of any Cub Scout level recognition. As an example, it requires a 100% trained level of Pack leaders for 2 years. By comparison, a Pack Trainer can complete the Cub Scouter award (as a Pack Trainer) by having only a 75% trained ratio.

I got mine this year. What an ordeal (no pun intended) to get leaders to go to training! What did make it easier was a CO willing to make training mandatory.

Record keeping was a chore at first, as I was coming into an established pack that didn't keep records. It took some begging, but my DE was able to print me out records for each individual leader, which helped heaps.

"1) mandatory training being required by national"

I can't wait for 100% training to be mandatory.

Training is not offered enough and my council has

incomplete records which of course will cause even

more problems. I was full trained as a SM even before

the Troop was formed but council has be down as untrained.

January 2011 is when the fun begins.

hend,

check out ECCBSA.org and go into training. They came out wiht a training survey that can be turned into council for updating. Doesn't have EVERYTHING, but has all the basics.

grant you you may have a scouting addict like myself who took every form of training while in college or as a pro that he could and has WAY too much on his records, but I doubt it.

Thank you Eagle92 the for forms. I also remembered it is in the back of the Cub Scout Leaders Book. The way I read the 100% requirement is that you have to "3. Attain 100% trained leadership within the pack for the committee chairman, Cubmaster and all the den leaders." It doesn't say that the duration is two years, just that you attain the 100% at some point during your two year tenure. Am I reading it right or am I mistaken in my assumption.

I agree that the 100% requirement does not state "for two years." Once you attain 100% trained for Committee Chair, Cubmaster, and all Den Leaders, you have completed the requirement. With that said, it is my opinion that it SHOULD NOT be too hard to keep that percentage up once attained especially with mandatory training coming. Once a Pack Trainer is aware of a position change, he/she can start bombarding the Scouter with information and dates about upcoming training.

I found a copy of the progress record that is similar to the other ones here at this link: http://www.oacbsa.org/training_files/knots_awards_files/PackTrainerAward.pdf

YiS,

Chazz Lees

The problem today is that so many "trained" leaders have to move away or leave the unit each year. No sooner do you get everyone trained, one leaves. It is an ongoing battle that the new requirements should hopefully resolve. We now insist that all den leaders have at least one "trained" assistant in each den not just parents helping out. It makes the parents take ownership of the dens and pack, not just sit back and help from the sidelines.