The thumbrule I use is 4 wraps around 2 fingers for each pass, and for me 4 wraps is 18 inches, so 36" for a 2-pass woggle, 54" for a 3-pass.

Yes, I always have some left over after I tighten it up, but that's better than tightening it up in order to create a few required inches!

And that's for a 5-bight woggle; the official WB woggle is 4-bight.

Badger

• 3 weeks later...

Our troop has a special woggles presented for mastery of different levels of knots skills. They have a 3-strand woggle, with a "do a good turn daily" overhand loop tied into the lowermost strand. To make it right requires a little more planning (and length) than is required for a standard woggle. I use a 54" length of sierra cord.

I just want to make sure taht I know where the reference is. Where does it say that I cannot wear a 4 strand turkshead on my neckerchief. I know that the WB stuff has the part that dangles for the beads, but the BSA slide is an imitation turkshead as someone mentioned before.

I'm curious where you got the idea that someone said you can't wear 4. Also, where did the notion come from that "the WB stuff has the part that dangles for the beads." What does that mean?

Very strange interpretation of something, but I don't know what.

BDPT00

Sctdad: If you make it yourself, no one will fault you for wearing a 4 turn woggle. However, please note that the WB beads are hung on a seperate "shoelace" around one's neck, and not from the woggle. The way the shoelace is draped/twisted around the neckerchief might make it look like the beads are attached to the woggle, but they are not. Leastwise, I've never seen that done. Could be some local affectation, I suppose.

Here's how you demonstrate your prowess: Take sufficient leather thong and soak it in water a couple hours. Turks head knot it around the Council Camp flag pole, firm it up, and let it dry. The leather will shrink up and get snug. Very decorative and Scoutlike, I think.

Wooden mast ssailors would do this to reinforce the mast.

My apologies on the bead attachment. I have not taken woodbadge yet and I do not know how they are put together.

JM badge mentioned that the 4 bight is the Official Wood Badge Woggle. That is what I was asking about.

My post simply meant that the official WB woggle is 4 bight, not to imply that any other 4-bight woggle would be infringing on the WB tradition.

Note that ANY hand-made slide is acceptable, though I think you are supposed to have made it yourself. Also, any device that gathers and holds a neckerchief is a "woggle," not just a turk's head.

AND, there are an amazing number of varieties of turk's head knots, and you can purchase (or make) contraptions that help you tie them.

Thanks JM

I seriously did not know what each part was. Now I know what a woggle is. I admit that I do not know everything about WB, so I just wnated to make sure that I was getting things cleared up.