This might be better in the Uniforms part of the forums, but it relates to Wood Badge so I'll put it here.

I'm in the process of reviving a dormant troop, and we're working on choosing full uniforms (including hat and neckerchief). The boys have selected one of the newer full-size neckerchiefs, as it is actually useful.

They haven't decided yet on how to secure the neckerchief. We could do slides, tie a not, make custom slides, etc. I had the idea (after a boy asked about my woggle) that perhaps the boys could make their own woggles from parachute cord, like we did on Day 1 of the course. The idea behind this is that in an emergency, the woggle could be unraveled and the cord used to tie things (bandage, shelter, etc).

So, the question is: Would it be acceptable for the boys to make and wear their own woggles if they choose that option? If yes, does the color matter?

I don't see a problem with the boys wearing a woggle, as long as it's not the official Wood Badge one. The color of the woggle should not matter. The turk's head is not an easy knot to to tie, so be prepared to spend some time teaching the boys.

Sure. Why (k)not? Our older guys have been working on fancy knots the last couple weeks. Everyone learned to tie a turk's head a couple weeks ago.

From my point of view, one of the best reasons for troops wearing neckers these days is for all the fun, traditional Scout crafts with neckerchief slides

Back in the day, when we were invested in my troop, we received out troop totem, troop necker, and....TROOP WOOGLE (caps for the TA DAH effect, not shouting). We did't use 550 cord, but vinyl clothesline.

So go ahead and teach the scout how to tie the Turk's Head.

Solid cord works better for the woggle.

There are plenty of different ways to "tie" the necker.

Using cord you can come up with the "knot of the month".... or use cord to attach almost anything for a "slide".

I have several I wear, including my WB woggle and I mix it up.

The current BSA metal slide is an imitation of a woggle.

Teach them the Turk's Head, then let your PLC decide.

Remember also that slides are an approved expression of individuality by the Scout!

Our troop's necker is 32" square, which is fastened with a turkshead woggle made of brown and kaki braided bootlace from the dollar store. My son made the first batch, which I super-glued together.

Many boys prefer it just tied however, that way it can come undone and serve as emergency cordage; just as the 32" necker too has so many practical functions.

Absolutely. Teach the Turk's Head. Make each Patrol a different color. If they go to a special event, create a small "coin" or "button" and glue it on the front of a particular color T/H. A new Troop, new traditions...

and come to think of it, why is it called a Turk's HEAD? Ain't no head look like that... More properly a Turk's HAT, I say.

YiS

• 2 weeks later...

We have an enterprising young scout in our troop who spends his free time making woggles. Seldom found without his wooden dowel and a bunch of colored cord. Sells 'em for a buck in pretty much any color combination you can think of. And they're GREAT woggles.

Maybe one of your boys could do the same, and spread the knowledge on to his friends. Or make it into a skill session or something. Everyone makes their own woggle. Then the boys make more and more and more and take some pride and ownership in their slides.

Bando,

You reminded me abotu what I did at Jambo one year. I made a bunch of woggles adn was tradign them like hotcakes. I tried to give a bunch away, key word TRIED, to a group of Japanese Girl Scouts, but wound up with a bunch of beautiful GS patches from Japan and a 73 WSJ keholder.

That short? I would have thought at least 1 yard. That would mean only about 100 feet would do fine for the whole troop.. I tried looking for it on web sites and although they explain how to make it, they don't say the length of the cord.