I might have mentioned that I took a BALOO class that was taught in part, by 4 Wood Badge'rs : 2 - Beavers, 1 Owl, and 1 - did not say that I'm aware of.

At some point during our BALOO class, the discussion got side tracked and became about Wood Badge

From what I saw, heard and had dispalyed to me.... I want to take Wood Badge. I was toild it is the PhD of Scouting, that if I took it as a corpoarte class, I'd pay around $2,000.00 instead of the $190 that my council is offerening it for.

It is my understanding that I will - in truth - learn more about myself than anything else.

So what is it? What does it curtail? What is the time, length and intensity of the training?

The recent mailer I got only listed the 4 specific objectives of the course, that it took (2) 3 day weekends, that the fees covered all food for the first weekend and shelter ( tents etc...) would be provided for at least the first weekend, but is not entirely clear about the second weekend.

Now, after listening to some different forum members talking about various program objectives and activities, I realize there is way more that I do not know/ realize about Wood Badge than I think I do "know".

And when I left that BALOO class I was all ready to sign up for Wood Badge, but since then, I have thought about it at least once every single day, and have come to the conclusion that having a certain amouunt of experience under my belt would in fact, enhance what I learn at wood Badge.

Actually, I might be saying that backwards: Wood Badge may not be a training, but an enhancement to all the training I have and will have as a leader.

That make sense? Kinda like salt and pepper: They enhance and change the tast of food, but by themselves, do not offer much substanance.

Maybe Wood Badge is the same way: Without having experience( the food) in the areas that wood badge hopes to expand and enlighten... the purpose of Wood Badge( the salt and pepper) might be totally missed?

But back to my original post:

Without giving specific details that could compromise the goal of the program, explain the general expectations of Wood Badge

For example, there are no mentions of the course being an 18 month thing, that there are ticket items or agendas, or that you in turn might be expected to teach other classes as part of your Wood Badge.

Basically, going solely and strictly by the mailer I got, I'd assume that the class was 6 days ( broken into 2 segments ) and that is all.

So , as if you were the person who had to write a course over view...what would you write?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, we all stand on the shoulders of Baden-Powell, but we also stand on the shoulders of Seton and Beard and West and Hillcourt and others. Scouting in the United States was always different from Bad

Wood Badge is the pinnacle of adult leader training for those that are active in the units. There's a PhD program for Commissioners, so I would be hesitant to call Wood Badge that.

Some of the very best leadership studies and information are explained to participants: from Max DePree, Ken Blanchard, to Steven Covey -- you'll be receiving some of the very best information out there. One Covey or Blanchard course for 2 days will cost you around $1,600 (plus expenses). a 6 day Wood Badge costs between $160-$300.

One word describes what Wood Badge is all about: Leadership. Learning how to communicate, relate, and interact with the youth we serve as their leaders, mentors and coaches is vital to the success of Scouting. WB covers all that, and in a way that is applicable, practical and real to the leaders who take the course.

Wood Badge really is a leadership experience of its own. It does supplement everything we bring to the program, but you'll come away from the experience learning about yourself and Scouting in a new refreshing light.

There are well over 75 separate learning objectives that go into making Wood Badge the foremost leadership training program for leaders dealing with youth. I've talked to school teachers, principals, superintendents, juvenile offender officers, and school counselors that have attended Wood Badge, and the culmination of the course's objectives have shed tremendous light into their own fields -- not just scouting. This isn't just salt and pepper, it's like adding some chili powder :-)

The ticket process is the culmination of your learning. It's the implementation of the skills taught on the course. The ticket itself doesn't have to take 18 months, that's just the time given to complete it. Mine took 14 months, but I had some roadblocks in the way with real life things. My current patrol of Antelopes -- half are done already at the 6 month mark. Just as soldiers in the British Army had to "earn their way home," so do Wood Badgers, by completing your ticket.

I took my course at the beginning of my 2nd year in Scouting. It lit a fire under me and has propelled me to new successes not just as a Scouter, but in my work as well. What I learned about myself has given me insight into more than just Scouting. Currently, I'm serving as a Wood Badge Key Staffer. I liked it so much I'm going back for the third time to experience and learn from what the course can teach to not just the participants, but the staff as well. Wood Badge has been one of the very best things I've done in my life.

You completed Baloo fantastic.

But more importantly have you completed your webelos position specific training yet??? If you can't put on a solid program for your current responsibility then woodbadge or not your not doing your duty to your webelos.

Just an observation you have no boy scouting experience, in theory you understand the Patrol method, have you actually seen it. Have you camped with a Boy Scout Troop??? How many Scout Masters do you know and interact with??? How many SPL, ASP, PL and PLC have you met, seen, talked to or participated in? Learning theory is worthless without practical experience.

I would give it a year or two before you take it. You haven't been in scouting a year yet, you have much to learn and plenty of time.

Basement: I get what you are saying, but wanted to point out, that as of now... I'm probably gonna stick with cub Scouts. I have no plans for Boy Scouts other than Webelos interaction with the boy scouts and Webelos / SM meets.

Leader specific: is in 27 days

Leader essentials: been there/ done that

YPT : Been there/ done that

Weather : BT/DT

Trek Safety: BT/ DT

My 1st year in leadership position is just about up. Been VERY ACTIVE for two years.

But yeah, having time to think about it and digest it, I do want to wait a year if not 2 just to have a better idea of what WB is supposed to make better.

Because I can't spell woth a flip.....(This message has been edited by scoutfish)

My experience was that it really energized me as a person and a Scout leader. I had inherited a broken troop and the Scoutmaster and I had struggled for a year and hadn't gotten anywhere. We'd had the training, but were were spinning our wheels. Our Wood Badge experience made the difference. It wasn't so much that we learned how to run a troop or be leaders (we already knew), but I think for us it was just the experience of meeting other leaders and forging ties and contacts that you really can't do at roundtables. We also learned a lot about ourselves, and after having had the chance to "be boys again" we came out with a fresh look and understanding.

Not long after, we not only revived our troop, but helped form 2 Cub packs, another troop, and a Varsity team, all from our floundering unit. It is still small (mainly due to the population of the area), but it is functioning and the boys are coming and enjoying the program.

As a WEBLOS leader, you have the unique position of not only leading boys, but helping them get excited to move on and continue with the Boy Scout program. If you have the time and the money, I'd suggest taking the course now, especially as a lot of councils only offer the course every few years.

Scoutfish,

I had recommended to you in another thread that having a few years as an active leader under you belt would make the Wood Badge experience more beneficial to you.

While the training is touted as useful outside of Scouting, and that is true, ultimately the goal is to make you a better Scout leader and if you dont have a good idea of the essentials the next Level will not be as meaningful.

For me throughout the training, as topics were discussed my thoughts went back to how they applied to my Pack and my place in it. I called upon examples that I had experienced, which is another way of saying that some leadership history and experience are important.

When one works on the ticket that history and experience become more important. What is your role in the unit? What have you encountered that could be made better? Do you see things that havent even been considered? How would you accomplish these things? Does your position allow you to accomplish your objectives?

Wood Badge was originally Boy Scout training and you and your fellow trainees do function as a Boy Scout patrol throughout most of the training, but Cub Scout leaders can benefit.

Id wait a bit. You say you havent given Boy Scouts a thought, but when you watch you son crossing that bridge you might find yourself wanting to follow. Until then you have other, basic training to take and the role of a Webelos Den Leader to experience. Once you start working through that youll get a better idea of where you see yourself in Scouting. Then its time for Wood Badge!

YIS

Mike

As a cub leader, Wood Badge helped immerse me in the patrol method and helped me realize how it works in a very personal way. I don't see how waiting and experiencing it in a troop would always be beneficial. For me, getting to live it made it more real and impressed upon me the need for a boy-led troop. Learning how the system works all the way through Scouting links it all together for a cub leader in ways that help teach the boys more thoroughly.

Scoutfish,

Greetings!

In older forum post, fellow members have given their summaries, and again during this posting. Fellow members have given their experience and brief summaries.

Let me provide my definition of WB21C.

People can take leadership/followership and communication courses in Scouting and in the corporate world, even at the local college. Some Scouters by virtue of their personality can network and encourage Scout and parent participation. These are all positive traits that WB21C will provide you.

But for my definition. The bottom line is that WB21C, teaches a Scouter to plan, and then deliver on that plan. All the WB21C tools, help a Scouter to carry out plans to enhance their Pack, Troop or Crew.

For example On occasion you may run across a Scouter, with a PhD, who is a business manager, who leads a successful company, and knows how to encourage people and rally the troops. They can network clubs and organizations, they can fellowship and have fun and engage a large circle of friends. What can they benefit from attending leadership and communications classes? Not too much more. But they can learn how to apply the skills they already possess.

To myself, WB21C is a planning and execution course.

Beyond a recent graduates personal enjoyment and fellowship; ultimately, a Scouting unit or district will benefit from a leader attending WB21C. The Scouting unit is the real customer of the WB21C trained Scouter, and all the boys (and Venturing girls) benefit.

So when you attended college or a local seminar, you probably asked Whats in it for me?; but for your local WB21C course you should probably ask Whats in it for me and my troop?

Hope to congratulate you soon!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

by "Very Active" I mean ...well, very active. I'll be honest and say i wasn't too keen on the whole "take my son EVERY meeting night" idea. But i did, and as a former vol fire fighter and community person, I have always helped out and assited when needed even if I wasn't thrilled abouit it.

So as an active parent, I assisted ( as I was told) more than some Dl's or ADLs. I hepled teach, I taught when the DL couldn't show up, I even taught (cough , cough)what turned out to be a non sanctioned event ( BB guns at pack campout) , but did not know it wasn't okay.

Personally, I didn't know it at the time , but I was leading woithout being a leader.

I helped lead, teach and coach flag raising ceremonies. I did alot! That is why I was aksed to be an ADL this year and asked to lead a Webelos den next year.

By two years,I mean cumulative, not just "official" leadership postion.

But I'm in no rush at all. I plan on waiting.

I don't post much, but I couldn't help myself with this one. Wood Badge "curtails" ill-founded but often well intentioned leadership tactics. It "curtails" loss of units due to untrained leaders. Finally, it "curtails" the great loss of moral and ethical decisionmaking ability rampant among today's youth and adults.

Now that is funny, I think the subject should have been "What does Wood badge Involve?"

Curtail restrict: place restrictions on

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=u8N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&defl=en&q=define:curtail&ei=yTq3S_3QNZKoNr2P1eEL&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAYQkAE

I am not sure what web browser you use, I would try Firefox it has a built im real time spell checker.

If you only have one shot at wood badge and want to get it right we could come up with some determining factors:

If you wait until you have assisted a specific number of scouts reach the rank of Eagle (for arguments sake let's say 20), or the same number of webelos earn the arrow of light, you might be ready.

If you have served as a den leader or scoutmaster and a commissioner and have at least 4 knots from that service you might be ready.

I'm open to other suggestions.

However, my opinion is you get your training as soon as you can and make the most of it. Chances are you will have an opportunity to serve on WB staff for some more advanced training if you so desire - and it will probably happen right about the time you would have otherwise waited to go.

Think about all the ways that woodbadge can help you on your journey to get the experience you would otherwise feel you need pre-WB.

Regardless, I know you will make the right decision for you.