Well, looks like I am finally going to woodbadge this fall. Heard lots of great things from people about it. Sure I will good time and will try to soak in all the related info given.

Personally think this help me be a better leader for my den and pack. Wish me luck.

You betcha...Good luck indeed!

Thinking about doing it it myself.....but wondering if I'd be ( and the pack too) better served if I actually get a year of experience as a Den Leader first before taking wood Badge.

Might just spread myself too thin or possibly face burnout by doing too much the first year.

But anyways...GOOD LUCK indeed.

Keep everybody posted n it as you do it!

I took my course while I was a wolf dean leader. I had just finished my first year as a tiger leader.

Having never been involved in the leadership side of scouting before (My dad was a Scoutmaster, and I was a tag-a-long for five years), I learned a great deal about the relationship between the four arms of Scouting, a taste of tenderfoot to first class, networking skills in our council, as well as practical application of all the textbook leadership classes I took in college.

Working my ticket proved to be an adventure that I'll continue to apply to my daily life and not just my scouting experiences.

I think the most important thing I learned was that good leadership skills can start with very young boys. We don't have to wait until Boy Scouts to teach young men to be leaders. Tigers can learn it, too. Applying all of the leadership tools from Wood Badge with Cubs has prepared them for Boy Scouts in ways I hadn't even seen coming.

The LDS church likes to send new leaders to Wood Badge their first year. I think it's good advice if you're planning to stick in the program for a long while.

Good luck, Bear Dad! Wood Badge is absolutely a worthwhile as well as an energizing experience and Im sure youll enjoy it.

Wood Badge for a brand new leader gives me pause though. The Ticket requires a vision for ones Den, Pack or Troop and ones place in it. I just cant see how a person still working on learning the basics of the Program, acquiring initial training, and getting an understanding of the dynamics and needs of his/her Den, Pack or Troop can really produce an insightful Ticket.

I would suggest a couple of years in the trenches before considering Wood Badge to really reap the benefits of it.

YIS,

Mike

Thanks for the comments. I am looking forward to the experience, I am hoping to gain more understanding in the scout program which inturn hopefully will make me a better leader.

Some the training I have recieved is sorry to say, not very good. I not sure if that has to do with the trainer or district resources or??

Looking at this as the elite in training so far, but as time goes on, some the best training is by experience. Thanks