When it comes to training......aren't you proud of that "trained" patch? Doesn't it fill you with a bit of self worth?

Now, I'm not saying that I want to collect traing certificates on my wall. I'm not endorsing collecting training certificates just to see how many you can collect,

But I don't understand why any leader wouldn't want to be trained. Granted, I'm faily new to (cub) scouting, but as this is my second year as a parent and my first as a ADL, I can hardly wait til this Sat to start my BALOO class. Then I have to wait til April for my leader essentials and leader specific training.

I suppose I'll go for Wood Badge , one day if it's practical ( right now,I don't see why it wouldn't be ) , then frmo there, I'll play it by ear.

But I will say one thing..I'll be proud as can be when I sew that "TRAINED" patch on my uniform shirt!

Your thoughts?

Good for you, if it makes yeh proud. Better yet, if it encourages yeh to learn all you can so that you can run a great program for kids.

Some folks get motivated by that stuff, and that's a fine thing.

These days I'm an old critter who has too many patches in his drawer.

After a while, the stuff that really makes yeh proud is those lads who have become fine men, and who bring yeh to tears when they say that a big part of who they are is because of Scoutin'.

I reckon that's the stuff that'll make yeh proud long after the patches wear out.

Keep up your trainin'. Wear your patch with pride. But keep your eyes on that bigger prize.

Beavah

By having that patch, I meant that I am proud because i took the time to learn. I hate when I type something and just assume everybody might understand what I'm thinking.

The patch itself is just that...a piece of cloth. But it shows that I took the time to get prpoer training and learn the right thing to do.

Kinda like my firefighter patches. I worked hard for and earned them. They were just pieces of cloth, but they stood for what I learned, what I could do and the knowledge I recieved.

By having that trained patch.... It means I took classes that (hopefully) will let me be part of and help build a great programm for the boys in my pack.

That make more sense?

Makes perfect sense, Scoutfish.

Yeh should be proud of your skills and trainin'. They're an important means to an end, eh? Just that da hard work of Scoutin' isn't doin' the training weekend, it's showin' up week after week, puttin' in your one hour (per boy) with determination and cheerfulness.

It's good to care about learning. Read all yeh can. Go to trainin' from da BSA. Go to trainin' from the Red Cross. Go to trainin' from other folks. Go to round table. Go visit other units. Invite seasoned leaders from other units to visit yours and give yeh tips.

Use 'em all to do great things for the lads.

And then be proud of what yeh accomplish for boys. Or, if yeh become a Boy Scouter down the road, be proud of what the boys accomplish for themselves.

B

In my limited experience Ive come across scouters who have felt Why do I need training? Ive been a leader for X number of years so I know what Im doing or I was an Eagle Scout, I know this stuff. They look upon training as an insult to their experience rather than in a positive way as a validation of what they know and an opportunity to build upon it or learn a fresh approach.

I believe Ive stated in earlier posts that, to me, almost important as the training itself is the opportunity to be amongst a group of scouters and exchange approaches and ideas. Ive seen the trainers (myself included) learn a thing or two as well.

YIS

Mike

Have to agree with Scoutfish, and the rest of you guys... I too am proud of the training I have been doing as a new to scouting again ASM. I've been an ASM for 2 and a half years now.. but new since 7 months.. anyway, I too am working to get all of the training I can get.. the more, the better I can be with the troop. I will attend Woodbadge this August here in TAC. I can't wait.. Everyone who finds out that I'm going first tells me.. "I wonder what Critter you'll be??" I understand most of that.. and have already seen some of that Critter built friendships at my last TAC outing in Kandersteg. But anyway, I can't wait. You see, I also spent 10 years in the US Army, and after the many Combat Arms Schools I attended, you do tend to stop sewing on the Badges.. but when your dressed up for the Bn. Ball and your sporting your little lady on an arm, it feels good. And in the end your trained, and are confident in doing your job well. I try to get all of my Scouts to also wear and take pride in a correct Scout Uniform.

For me, the patches represent a memory of the boys that I earned them with. I look at those Blue & Gold patches, or the camporees, and I recall my favorite memories from those events. When the boys see them on my patch blanket, they relive their favorite memories. My trained patches were hard-earned, and I'm proud to sew them on. It's like a rite of passage in some ways.

It's not about the patch itself, really, it's just a way to recall all that it's about.