The prep time? I'm not entirely sure, but I think all of our troop guides spent considerable amounts of time prepping before the course was delivered, not only of their individual parts, but also in training sessions and planning meetings.

I didn't really know my Troop Guide before I started, but afterward, I can safely say I am in awe of how much time and energy he spent, and of how well he supported us during the course. It was inspirational.

Guy

I was staff (TG) on the recent course in our Council. Was a participant 2 courses back.

Took a year of once-a-month meetings before the course started (really 5-6 good ones) and 1 staff training weekend, 3+ days more needed than participants the 1st week for setup....2nd week was 2+ days extra for setup & tear down.

It's a commitment that several others could not meet and had to drop. I would not hesitate to step up again as asked...the only problem....I think every other staff position did not look as fun (and was definitely more work) than TG.

Staff itself is a large responsibility. Before I go on, just let me say, it's perfectly acceptable to ask the Course Director and his key staff what the time commitments are.

There are 3 staff developments, usually 8-10 hours long, and one is usually an overnighter. In addition to that, some councils have special "Troop Guide Meetings" that are used for preparation for the TGs. There's also set-up days. In our council, it's just one day of set-up before each weekend of course.

My ASM-P laid it on pretty thick last year: "As the Troop Guides for this course, you are the ones experiencing the syllabus and the stages of team development during the staff development. You are your own patrol as you go through this journey. When you get on course, you'll be representing the leadership of the course and you will be the face that communicates the goals, vision, and mission of Wood Badge to the participants."

Uhm -- to me, those were big shoes to fill -- The Course Director's vision resting on the shoulder of the Troop Guides!

The first weekend is really hectic for Troop Guides. Literally, you're "on" the entire 10-12 hour day without much of a break. Mentally, you've got to be prepared to guide your patrol through the days while keeping an eye on their development, looking for issues, as well as advising them on the entire process. The 2nd weekend is kind of a "skate" but there's still some work to be done in addition to approving ticket items.

Don't be afraid to ask about time commitments in your council as well as how much the staff fee is. Those are all understanably sticking points for some of us.