Edge training requirement for Woodbage

Woodbadge coming up soon. I understand that Edge training is required to be on a WB Staff. Several on this staff have not gone through Edge Training and are not going to do so. The WB SM knows this and is not going to require them to go through Edge Training. I wonder what problems will insue because of this. Some of them are QM and the SM does not feel like a QM needs the Edge training because they do not partake in actual training of the WB Patrols. But others will be Troop Guides, Scribes so on so forth. I think you get the picture.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am scheduled to take the EDGE training on Saturday Ed, so I will let you know. As you imply I don't think its anything really innovative and may be a rehash of what I have already seen, I won't know until I take it.

There is a point though, CRW (CrossRamWedge)is telling us there are requirments to be on WB staff and these requirements are not going to be followed. Is this to be the state of Wood Badge? We have one thread where it appears a Wood Badge Course was told they had to do a 360 degree evaluation as a ticket item. We know that it isnt, but its still required for the course in question. Now, there is trainig that is supposed to be done and it will be ignored. EDGE may see silly, and maybe it is and maybe it isnt, but I didnt think you could play around with requirements like this. I had in mind the curriculum was the curriculum and wasnt to be altered, perhaps supplemented, but all materials presented and all requirmetns met.

If "requirements" are only "ARRGHHH Pirate Guideline", then Wood Badge may not be worth the respect KUDU gives it

Trainers EDGE is a requirement for WB and NYLT staff as stated in syllabus for each course. NO, it is not just a rehash of past versions of train the trainer. Look at the new requirements for Tenderfoot and Life. Our youth members are required to teach a skill using the EDGE model. Both WB21C and NYLT place emphasis on the EDGE model. The council I am affiliated with has offered TRAINERS EDGE twice since it came out(2009 & 2010) and both courses have been well attended by a combination of youth and adults, WB & NYLT staffs and other trainers. Yes, even unit leaders and others who are not directly related to a training staff, but do understand the value of getting the same message and method(s) of instruction across all programs. OK I admit Im a fan of Trainers Edge and the EDGE method.

If you are going to be on staff for either a WB21C course, NYLT or NYLE you should attend (the requirement is complete Trainers EDGE within the past 2 years). You will learn something and improve you own presentation skills along with getting the message of what our Scouts must do to advance and demonstrate leadership by teaching a skill to others.

(This message has been edited by hotair36)(This message has been edited by hotair36)

I think that Trainer's EDGE should be a requirement for Wood Badge staffers, but I would take it one step further. I would run the entire Trainer's EDGE module as the first step in developing the Wood Badge staff, including the quartermaster. Even though the QM has no teaching responsibilities, he/she must have an appreciation of the logistical and material support that is necessary to run the course. That said, I feel that the Trainer's EDGE course could do a much better job of covering that particular area than it does at present.

I'm half-way through Trainer's EDGE right now -- the second half is this coming weekend. I'm by no means an expert on BSA training, but I would offer these observations and opinions: EDGE training (so far) is a very small part of Trainer's EDGE; I've heard people call the course a replacement for an old "Train the Trainers" course. It *does* have some practical information for trainers, and I'm somebody who is comfortable at being in front of people and giving presentations.

But so far, I've sensed a downside too: I looked up the curriculum in advance, and I'm somewhat disappointed that it is being followed exactly. Some of the curriculum is pretty stale, if you ask me, and unless the Trainer's EDGE trainers try really hard, I think they have an uphill battle (that might be a way of saying that I think some of my Trainers EDGE trainers are kind of boring).

So not only in my recent Woodbadge course, but also in this Trainer's EDGE course, I've run into what I feel are marginal to poor instructors. They could learn a thing or two, if they pay attention to what Trainer's EDGE teaches.

I do feel I've learned something, and my example session for our second class (you present a 10-minute session to others) is using some of the ideas I've learned.

One reason I'm comfortable "on stage" is that I've been a musician since I was 10. A long time ago I learned there is a difference between being able to play something and being able to play something on stage. I feel the same way about training, or at least those who deliver training. All of them are fine folks, but not all of them are able to apply what they learn in workshops like Trainer's EDGE.

Guy

sherminator wrote: "Even though the QM has no teaching responsibilities, he/she must have an appreciation of the logistical and material support that is necessary to run the course."

Why not? Aren't the QMs part of the staff, and don't they participate in the training? Do they wear 3 beads?

BDPT00

OGE -- yes, halfway. Don't worry, it's not so bad.

The first session was 2-1/2 hours, one evening. Then we have a two week hiatus, where we're able to spend a nice amount of time prepping our example training session. We'll deliver them on the second evening we meet, which happens to be this coming Sunday evening.

I actually appreciate having the extra time to work on my presentation a little, rather than rushing it. I don't see how anyone could do that when it is delivered as a day-long course.

BTW, my WB21C course was a two-weekend affair. When I talked to one of the main guys, and he pointed out that the course could have been delivered as a one-week course, I asked "but how does the project work?" I appreciated having the month in between my weekends to work on the project and also to plan our "patrol campout" for the second weekend.

My participation in Trainer's EDGE is one small part of one of my ticket items :-).

Guy

OGE -- I just went back and read that you have it coming up this Saturday.

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but you're probably not going to be WOWed by the course. But you may pick up some useful tidbits. I was more fixated on the fact that I did think our trainers (there were several, each doing an approximate 10 minute session, and I didn't think that was necessary -- unless it was being done for their practice) were all that hot. Some of them were kinda stiff. Others were fine.

Guy

When I was in College, a long long long time ago, I had a double Major, Management and Education. I spent Four years teaching in a University setting.

YOu know what they say, those who can do, those who can't teach. Then again, those who can't teach teach teachers to teach.

As a Medicare Complaince Consultant I go into hospitals and talk to masses of people all the time, so I don't feel ill at ease in front of people. I have had so many "classess" on presentation I am anxious to see how this will be

OGE -- don't let me get your hopes up. :-)

The only time I remember something similar happening was when I was a teaching assistant in grad school. Maybe it was because there was a crop of rookie TAs coming in, or something like that, but at the start of my second year, the head of the department decided that all TAs would be required to sit in on a workshop on teaching methods. By that time, I had already decided I was more into the Socratic method. In fact, I was quite pleased to see my first evaluation from a student who made the comment that "our instructor doesn't like to answer questions" :-). That's because every time they asked me something, I'd try and turn it back around and (hopefully) make them think of the answer themselves (but I wasn't necessarily all that skilled at it).

Anyway -- Trainer's EDGE doesn't go into that kind of thing.

Guy

"Why not? Aren't the QMs part of the staff, and don't they participate in the training? Do they wear 3 beads?

BDPT00"

My statement related specifically to teaching - up on the platform so to speak. Yes, they are part of the staff, and yes, they do participate. This is why I wouldn't train the QM any differently than the other staffers. I'm sorry if my previous post didn't convey that.

hotair:

"HORSEHOCKEY!!!"

-- Colonel Sherman T Potter

Explain. Demonstrate. Guide. Enable.

This is not much more than Instructional Systems Development, or as the Army says, Systems Approach to Training.

Talk the trainee through it

Walk the trainee through it

Supervise the trainee through it

Support the trainee as he takes the skill and appropriates it for his own.

No, this is absolutely nothing new. I was using a methodology akin to this as a platform instructor at the Field Artillery School a quarter-century ago.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)