Greetings all

At our local District Roundtable last night it was announced the "national" was changing the training requirements and "all" leaders would be required to be 100% trained by the end of the year, or the unit could not recharter. I have looked around and cannot find this in print anywhere. The person making the announcement has been known to "make up" rules in the past they think National should have. Is this new rule true or a figment of thst persons dreams???

There is an initiative on to have 100% of direct contact leaders fully trained. In fact, there's a class at PTC this summer for District/Council trainers on how to plan and program training in support of this initiative.

My Council last year required all SM/CM/Adv/Coach fully trained. This year, it will be all direct contact leaders. A leader will not be permitted to recharter for a direct contact position without training.

I thought the National rollout was recharters during 2011.

Nationally, all "top leaders" (i.e. Scoutmasters, Varsity Scout Coaches, Cubmasters, Venturing crew Advisors, and Sea Scout Skippers) will be required to be fully "trained" by the end of this year in order to be able to be in that position at recharter time for next year. For SM's, for example, "trained" means the usual online (Youth Protection, This is Scouting, Fast Start) plus Position Specific Training plus Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills.

All direct contact leaders (Den Leaders, Asst. Scoutmasters, Asst. Cubmasters, etc...) will need to be "trained" by the end of 2011 in order to recharter for the following year.

John-in-KC is most likely in one of the 20 "pilot" councils that are one year ahead of the National rollout.

For more info, check out http://www.scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates.aspx and in particular, some of the back issues under "Archives" and also the "FAQ to Pilot Councils" on the lower right.

Training records continues to be the No. 1 issue, and we are working very hard to resolve that problem

It's real simple: Another module of ScoutNet needs to be accessible to volunteers: TRAINING.

Of course, MyScouting should be able to dump that portion of ScoutNet applicable to the individual Scouter to his desktop as a pdf.

What am I thinking? The National Council IT shop can't even have its staff keep pages current. Sorry about thinking in common sense terms, folks.

Yep...and National and our local Council can't even get their training records merged into one place. From our district training chair regarding training records: "The council has their own system and that system does not link with National's record system."

You'd think that (at the very least), if you enter your member id number in your profile for on-line training, that National and your local council would be able to get your on-line and in-person training records merged into one location and be able to print it out for you on request. Apparently not.

>>"Nationally, all "top leaders" (i.e. Scoutmasters, Varsity Scout Coaches, Cubmasters, Venturing crew Advisors, and Sea Scout Skippers) will be required to be fully "trained" by the end of this year in order to be able to be in that position at recharter time for next year."

'69,

Your wish is my command. From here

http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/Adults/Training/Trained%20Leader.aspx

What Makes a Trained Leader

A direct contact Scout leader is considered fully trained and entitled to wear the Trained leader emblem when he or she has completed the following training courses and the specific training for the position.

Fast Start Training.

Fast Start training is the first step for all new leaders and should be taken immediately after they register and before they meet with any youth members. New leaders choose the Fast Start they need to take: Cub Scout Leader, Boy Scout Leader, Varsity Scout Leader, or Venturing Crew Leader. All Fast Start courses are available on DVD, or they can be completed through the Online Learning Center. (If you are new to Scouting, you will be asked to create an account.)

Youth Protection Training.

Youth Protection training is required for all leaders who have direct contact with youth. At all times, youth safety is the number one priority. At the same time, adults need to know the rules for keeping themselves safe, too. Comprehensive Youth Protection training teaches all the dos and donts of working with youth. The training is offered through the Online Learning Center, or it may be taken as part of an district or council training course.

This is Scouting.

This Is Scouting is a new online training session that replaces New Leader Essentials. It picks up when Fast Start leaves off with six modules of training: The Mission of Scouting, Programs for All ages, Scouting Is Fun, Scouting in the Community, Keeping Our Youth Safe, and Scoutings Legacy. The training takes about an hour to complete and can be found on Online Learning Center. (If you are new to Scouting, you will be asked to create an account.)

Position Specific Training.

Leader position specific training is based on the leaders position. These courses are taught by informed trainers who know how to engage groups and make learning fun. These courses are offered by the district or council as group training, or may be done as small groups or by personal coaching.

Cub Scout Leaders

Cub Scout Leader Specific training has been developed for the following positions:

Tiger Cub den leaders

Cubmasters and assistants

Wolf and Bear Den leaders and assistants

Pack Committee

Webelos den leaders and assistants

Pack trainers

Boy Scout Leaders

Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training is for all Scoutmasters and their assistants. Boy Scout leaders also must complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills training to be considered fully trained.

Varsity Scout Leaders

Varsity Scout Coach Leader Specific is for all Varsity Coaches and assistants Coaches. Varsity Coaches and assistant Coaches must also complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills training to be considered fully trained.

Venturing Crew Leaders

Venturing crew leaders and assistants must complete Venturing Leader Specific Training, a five-session training course, to be considered fully trained. Venturing crew leaders whose crews have an outdoor program must also complete Introduction to Outdoor Skills training to be considered fully trained.

One other thing to look at is the Training Codes found here

http://scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/trainingcoursesreport2009.pdf

Those codes are what are entered into SCOUTNET. And they do go back a few years.

Now this may not be the right procedure, but I was told by my DE to do so, so I did it, and it is entered into my record. I was told to enter not only the courses I went through, but also those I staffed. For example, I went through SM Fundamentals back in the day (S21 I beleive), as well as Brownsea 22 (S93) even furhter inback in the day. But I have staffed SM Specific (S24) and IOLS (S11), among others and have them listed as well on my recrds

NOTE In reviewing the coded sheet provided, some of the older codes are missing,take a look at this website as this council is using training inventories to get the records straight, and they do have older codes listed. Also Scouter's Training Award, SM KEY, et al have their own codes, which also shows training completed.

http://www.eccbsa.org/forms/ECC%20Adult%20Leader%20Training%20Record.pdf

Bold is to emphasis not scream.

Guh, that means that local better start announcing schedules for ITOLS more than a month and a half in advance. ITOLS conflicts with our camping trips every single time, and dates get thrown out way too late...

That's the last bit of training I "need". In reality, I teach a camping course myself (outside of Scouts) that covers almost all the same material, my time between "Scout" and "ASM" was less than four years, and I never stopped camping on my own, thus the skills never had time to get rusty. I very much understand training requirements, but I long for a get-out-of-jail-free card on this one...

Jersey,

Have your district training staff look at the fine print in the current IOLS book. In there somewhere is the notation that a leader essentially 'test out" of IOLS if they can demonstarte the skills. Sorry can't quote chapter and verse any time soon as my IOLS is in storage. But there was a discussion on this topic on MYSCOUTING.ORG.

Also I say "current" b/c I was told that a new IOLS course combining Webelos Leader training, and possibly adding stuff for Venturing leaders, as crews with an outdoor program now need an adviser IOLS trained, is headed our way in the future.

Thanks Eagle, I'll try to find that and approach the training coordinator for the district.

A combined ITOLS/BALOO course would be excellent, as people who have attended both in our district said the courses were very, very similar. Why not get a WEBLOS leader set all in one place?