Ordering Wood Badge Beads for NYLT Staffer

"While I'd be happy if everyone just wore two beads, which I believe should only be worn people who have attended and completed Wood Badge."

Non-issue. You must complete WB to get your two beads.

"I really don't think presenting a fourth bead at a Wood Badge beading ceremony to anyone other than the WB CD is the thing to do."

Because NYLT is now very similar to WB, the amount of work a NYLT SM is VERY similar to what a WB CD does, hence why they can get a fourth bead.

"I really think only one person on a course should wear four beads. After all this will be the last course for the CD. Once he or she is done with the course his or her "Wood Badge days are over."

AFAIK, that's how it works with 21CWB. Wasn't necessarily so with the prior WB, where some WB CD just kept doing that job, preventing others from getting to be a CD.

Eamonn wrote: "I really don't think presenting a fourth bead at a Wood Badge beading ceremony to anyone other than the WB CD is the thing to do.

I really think only one person on a course should wear four beads. After all this will be the last course for the CD. Once he or she is done with the course his or her "Wood Badge days are over."

emb021,

The point he was making is that a Wood Badge staff's beading ceremony is not the place to recognize someone for service to NYLT. I agree.

His comment regarding a CD's last course has nothing to do with what went on in the old course, and that's not relevant to his point.

BDPT00

If a NYLT Scoutmaster has met the requirements to be presented a 4th bead, then the 4th bead should be presented to them before the start of the NYLT course, not at a Wood Badge event. If someone who has earned a 4th bead, is working on a Wood Badge course as a Asst. Course Director, then they should wear 3 beads, not 4. In regards to other NYLT staff earning a 3rd bead, this would be the Asst. Scoutmaster responsible for program. (The one working with the youth staff on the course.) If the 3rd and/or 4th beads need to be ordered, I would talk to the Professional Staff Advisor, and have that person place the order.

David Harrison

emb021,

I think maybe I didn't make myself very clear.

Of course wearing two beads shouldn't be a big issue!

My point was meant to be that I think we don't need all these extra beads. Just have everyone wear the two that they have earned.

It was that way in the UK when I was there. Although at one time the Director of Leader Training at Gilwell Park was allowed to wear five beads.

I'm mule headed enough to firmly believe that Wood Badge beads should only be used for Wood Badge.

I really do think, no matter how close NYLT is like Wood Badge, it still isn't Wood Badge.

I'm in no way trying to put down the great work that the people who staff NYLT do, or the course.

My feelings are that meeting the needs of adults and serving adults is way different than doing the same thing with youth members.

We seem to be OK with Sea Badge for Sea Scouters and the Powder Horn for Venturer adults. If these can have their own recognition. - Why not the adults who Staff NYLT?

This seems like an argument I'm never going to win!

dancinfox did a far better job of explaining who should order the beads and when and where they should be presented, than I did.

Back in the day I served on WB courses where several members of staff wore their four beads.

Back in 2000 I served on a 21st Century course, where the CD selected four guys who had previously served as SM for the old course. All of these guys wore three beads.

Having a TG wearing four beads?? While serving on a WB course? Just seems wrong. Presenting a NYLT staffer a fourth bead at a WB beading ceremony? Just isn't the right time or place.

Ea.

AFAIK, a WB Staff beading ceremony occurs amoung the staff on the first weekend before the participants arrived. That's when I got mine.

My council presented our recent NYLT SM with his 4th bead. It occured as part of the program of our WB Breakfast. It was NOT done during the WB staff beading ceremony. It was NOT done as part of a WB beading ceremony.

I can say that no one amoung our WB people felt it was wrong that he received it there. He is an active part of our 'wb community', serving on several WB courses as a staffer.

"It was NOT done during the WB staff beading ceremony. It was NOT done as part of a WB beading ceremony."

OK, already!! I get the message!

However, Marathoner262 posted:

" We'd like to present the beads to him when the rest of the Wood Badge staff receive their beads."

Ea.

The NYLT or NYLE Scoutmaster (Course Director again for 2011 co-ed course) can be recognized with a 4th bead if she/he meets the requirements listed in the NYLT Staff guide (must have been a TG for a 21CWB course, attended EDGE training na dattended a regional Course Director conference within the past 12 monts). Assistant Scoutmasters (no other positions qualify)who meet the requirements (completed WB21C and earned their beads, participate in all staff development activities, attend Trainers Edge)can be recognized with a 3d bead. The SM /CD must complete a Scoutmaster Pledge and have the course approved.

The recognition items (beads and certificates are ordered the same way as Wood Badge recognition items. Central Region had the order form on it's web site and the form is in the appendix for the draft 2011 syllabus.

Present the recognition items at your staff banquet the night before the course begins the same as is done for most Wood Badge courses

I think it is your council scout shop or whoever orders for Wood Badge is the person to place the order for the recognition items after the approval of the area NYLT coordinator. Certificates are similar t Wood Badge for Course Director and Assistant Course Directors.