Ordering Wood Badge Beads for NYLT Staffer

"NCS SM" course?

I'm assuming that Marathoner262 is the person who's trying to make those arrangements, but he doesn't know how. That's why he's asking. He might very well be the Scoutmaster. Or ... maybe he's trying to get them for the Scoutmaster as a surprise.

How? Has anyone done it? Follow that up with another questions: How/when/where and with/by whom are the beads presented?

BDPT00

One of the requirements to earn the fourth bead is for the NYLT SM to serve as TG on Wood Badge; he's satisfied all the other requirements. We'd like to present the beads to him when the rest of the Wood Badge staff receive their beads. None of the NYLT support staff (myself included), nor the Wood Badge CD, knows how to order them. Any ideas?

"Hmmm..... Woodbadge Beads because of NYLT staffer.....

"How do you earn Woodbadge beads by not participating in Woodbadge?"

Because the NYLT Course is so close to Wood Badge, about a year ago, it was setup such that CERTAIN NYLT staffers can get a third bead and NYLT Course Directors can get a fourth bead. They STILL have to go thru WB as a participant.

There are clearly stated National policy on what they must do for this.

I would think this is covered when they go thru the REQUIRED NYLT CDC at Region.

BTW, we just presented our recent NYLT CD with his fourth bead at our Wood Badge Breakfast.

emb021:

I attended our regional CDC back in November 2009. The qualifications for NYLT beading were discussed, the process to order them wasn't. Please pass on my congratulations to the person who was awarded. I presume its the SM as NYLT is not supposed to use the term CD any longer (not sure why, just what we were informed).

"One of the requirements to earn the fourth bead is for the NYLT SM to serve as TG on Wood Badge; he's satisfied all the other requirements. We'd like to present the beads to him when the rest of the Wood Badge staff receive their beads."

Personally, I wouldn't do that. A fourth bead for Wood Badge is for the Course Director. If the other TGs are getting their 3rd bead, I think your NYLT SM should be getting his third bead along with his peers. He should be wearing 3 for the course anyway. Does he already have 3, or is he taking a leap straight from 2 to 4?

I wouldn't consider a Wood Badge course's bead presentation to be the venue for recognizing an NYLT dude. Just my opinion. I'm really curious what others think. I'm still looking for what others do for the NYLT bead presentation. One person just said a fourth bead was presented at WB breakfast. Is the the right place? Wrong place? Why?

Thanks, BDPT00

"I presume its the SM as NYLT is not supposed to use the term CD any longer (not sure why, just what we were informed)."

Yes, he was the NYLT SM. My typo.

""One of the requirements to earn the fourth bead is for the NYLT SM to serve as TG on Wood Badge; he's satisfied all the other requirements. We'd like to present the beads to him when the rest of the Wood Badge staff receive their beads."

Personally, I wouldn't do that. A fourth bead for Wood Badge is for the Course Director. If the other TGs are getting their 3rd bead, I think your NYLT SM should be getting his third bead along with his peers. He should be wearing 3 for the course anyway. Does he already have 3, or is he taking a leap straight from 2 to 4?"

I don't have the requirements for the NYLT SM to get their fourth bead, but YES, they must be a 3rd beader. Part of the requirement for them to get a third bead is to have served as a Troop Guide on a WB course (which would get them a 3rd bead, if they didn't already have it).

There is another thread here on the requirements for NYLT staffers to get a 3/4 bead. I recommend you go read that. Its official and in the current NYLT syllabus.

I don't need to read the requirements, thank you. I'm asking how/when/where other people present beads. The original poster stated that the NYLT SM was about to complete his last requirement for his fourth bead (serving as a TG). My question was ... does he already have a third bead? Is that an unreasonable question? He obviously has two. Does he have three?

BDPT00

Yes, the Scouter has his third bead and qualified for the fourth. I thought it'd be good to receive the fourth bead with his Wood Badge peers rather than receive a second "third" set, and it is a Wood Badge event that earns him that last bead, so we'd like to go with that. The question still remains is how to order them?

Well, I would submit that he wouldn't be receiving a "second 3rd set." Beads are beads, right? My point was that his fourth bead raises him above his peers, and equal to the course director. I don't think that's the time or place (and he shouldn't wear them for the course), and I don't think the presentation is in front of the right people.

I have no clue how you'd acquire beads in your council. In ours, you'd simply need to go through the staff advisor. They should be able to handle whatever you need. They're in the bead ordering business. Somebody there just came up with a bunch for this staff, and there's a 4 bead set for the CD too. Just add another set.

Is this WB staffing experience his first? If so, and he's already wearing 3, then he got them somehow via NYLT. Just ask the right people.

BDPT00

Marathoner262,

Greetings!

I have served on served five times on WB staff and twice on NYLT staff. I have some insight, but I am no expert in how staff/beads are recorded. Or if there is a national or regional database to record Course Directors, beyond the authorization to conduct a course.

As you may already know. It is staff members (less youth staff on WB) that receives a third bead, most recently Wood Badge graduates may receive a third by on NYLT staff. It is only the Course Director that receives a fourth bead, again most recently a Wood Badge graduate may receive a fourth bead by serving as NYLT Course Director.

During my most recent NYLT course half of the adult staff already had the third bead.

Now.. after saying that; here is what I've seen more recently.

Our NYLT staffers, specifically the Course Director had brought back two seperate applications for the third bead and for the fourth bead recognition. It was not only serving, but included a few NYLT accomplishments (like a pre-established ticket) before the course.

The application(s) had to be endorsed and transmitted back to the regional Director of the Course Directors Conference. It was after the application was approved, that the Council could award the third beads and fourth bead to the NYLT staffers. I do not know if the procedure I described is conduct the same in all four regions, but I'd expect it may be.

So, your current Course Director for your council's next NYLT may have paper applications and written instructions on achieving the third beads and fourth bead.

Also Marathoner262, Although you may want to recognize your Course Director, the Course Director and professional Staff Advisor may already be ahead of you.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)

While I'd be happy if everyone just wore two beads, which I believe should only be worn people who have attended and completed Wood Badge.

I really don't think presenting a fourth bead at a Wood Badge beading ceremony to anyone other than the WB CD is the thing to do.

I really think only one person on a course should wear four beads. After all this will be the last course for the CD. Once he or she is done with the course his or her "Wood Badge days are over.

I have a little while back posted my feelings about beads being dished out for anything other than WB. So I'll leave that one go!

Ea.