Is 360º self-assessment a required ticket item?

When I was a participant, I thought it was a "no-brainer" to do the 360... not that I was looking for an easy way out, but since I was in transition from Pack-to-Troop as a leader & organizing/conducting council training for Cub & Boy Scout I felt I would have plenty of opportunity to ask and receive feedback.

But I am pretty thick-skinned, and feedback is a gift, right?

As a staffer, it was interesting how many in the Patrol I was TG for, and the participants I ended up counseling the final tickets shied away from it.

But it was encouraged during the course but not required.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

Thanks for the replies. In my Wood Badge course (C-37-09), the 360 was required to be one of our ticket items, so I just thought that all Wood Badge courses were that way. I just started finding out yesterday that other courses didn't require it, and that it was "strongly recommended" in at least two other courses in my region. I guess the leadership of the individual courses can make it mandatory if they want to?

A staffer from my course has since left me a message stating that the staff decided it was a good idea to make the 360 a mandatory ticket item, and the syllabus didn't actually prohibit them from doing that. Any thoughts about that?

lrsap, that's funny, but it does sound like they are "adding to the requirements".

I felt a bit foolish asking other Wood Badgers about the 360 on their tickets, and having them give me a strange look like they didn't know what I was talking about. The way our course was delivered, I thought that the 360 was always part of a Wood Badge ticket. I appreciate everyone's input.

Thing is, my comment was a bit cheeky, but accurate in my opinion. And now you say that it was made mandatory "Because nobody said I couldn't do it!" What is he, twelve years old? No, scratch that. My 11 year old wouldn't even try that.

I'm sure the syllabus doesn't say "all class participants must not wear a costume of their critter for the entire second weekend". Does that mean he can say you are required to walk around camp dressed as a six foot bobwhite?

Our course spent a reasonable amount of time on 360 Assessment. There was no requirement for any of us to make this a ticket item. Looking back, I was quietly encouraged to do one, and I did one, but I would not define it as a "self-" assessment, as I was evaluating a project in which I particpated, but was not involved in organizing or executing. I was not aware of any others in my course doing 360 assessments, self- or otherwise.

Of course everyone had a diversity item. I finished mine almost 4 years ago, and it is still giving me headaches to this day.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

A staffer from my course has since left me a message stating that the staff decided it was a good idea to make the 360 a mandatory ticket item, and the syllabus didn't actually prohibit them from doing that. Any thoughts about that?

I have two comments on this one:

1. Making an item the syllabus lists as optional mandatory is altering the course, in an unintended way. This is an optional item, make it optional.

2. This item could have elements that would sour the training, making what should be a profound experience, and negative one.

There are several ways to offer the 360, but not force it.

" the staff decided it was a good idea to make the 360 a mandatory ticket item, and the syllabus didn't actually prohibit them from doing that. Any thoughts about that?"

Each and every Course Director signs a Course Director's Pledge.

The pledge has six parts, part 1. Reads:

I will present the content and activities in the current staff guide (syllabus) Wood Badge for the 21st Century, without additions, deletions or shortcuts.

I know, having served as a CD, that I would not have taken this route.

To be very honest I found the 360 self assessment presentation to be one of the not so great parts of the course.

Ea.