May not be trained or Refuses training

If parents don't have a computer at home, we offer the training in a group setting at committee meetings. It's amazing what an internet connection can do for portable training.

Simple yet meaningful training ensures that all the parents are on the same page. It takes less than an hour to complete all the trainings, and offers a safer program for everyone. The youth aren't penalized, they benefit by a safer program with consistent leadership. Not to mention, if you have boys swimming at an event, or need a backup leader for a tour permit, it's beneficial for everyone's state of mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by Tiger Team... that's a new one that I've not seen in any BSA material.

As far as the troop goes, direct contact leaders attend events in the proper 2 deep fashion. Those DC leaders are offered Wood Badge reimbursement following the successful completion of their ticket and are allowed to go on events once this is done. If a parent is a leader, the same applies. Non DC-Leader parents are asked to take a step back, and it works well for everyone. The expectation is there, clearly defined and everyone is happy with it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tiger program is set up so that the Tiger Cub Scout and his Adult Partner form a team, a Tiger Team. This team concept is described in the parent section in the beginning of the Tiger Handbook. I believe that teams are also mentioned in Tiger Fast Start. The Cub Scout Leader Book explains this in the chapter on the Tiger Cub program. I do not remember if the term "team" is used for the Tiger and his Partner in the current (2009) Tiger den leader specific training syllabus.

A Tiger and his Adult Partner MUST do everything together, including go on outings. If you are not allowing a parent of a Tiger to go on an outing because they have not taken the online training yet, then YES, the boys ARE being penalized.

I can understand, and agree with, requiring registered Cub Scout adults to be trained, but not every parent in your Pack. That is over the top.

As is, in my opinion, requiring Wood Badge to camp with the Troop.

By the way, why is Wood Badge not required for Cub Scouters also?

• 3 weeks later...

"I am curious. How do i check my own training records on scout.net??????"

Not sure about scout.net, but you should be able to go to BSA (bsa.org) and check your records with your BSA id number. You may have to create a profile, but after typing in your info along with your id #..you can then go to training and see what you have.

There is no down side to training ...

That having been said, I've attended some pretty poor trianings. If you go to a sub par training, think about how it can be improved, and offer to be the trainer next go round. If you're not chosen as the trainer, the new trainer will use your feedback to improve the training ... especially if he knows your coming again :)

I got side tracked from the original question. What I do is say: X training, the one for your position, is being held on x date ... I'll pick you up at 9:00. After that you make a big deal about going to the training together in front of everyone, no way that leader is backing out now!