May not be trained or Refuses training

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You actually will need to contact your registrar. I knew something was wrong when I kept transferring to a new council and I would have to YPT again as they did not show me doing it. They never told me I about Fast Start or any of the other trainings I was "missing," So I wasn't concerned.

Then when I got a copy of the district training report which showed I was "untrained," well I made it a point to get my records, and the other leaders in my district corrected since I was the trainign chair at the time.

As far as I know, you can't. Silly, yes. Especially with everything going online. However, I believe the only way to get that information currently, is to go thru your council and have them get you a printout.

By the end of 2011, all top leaders, in all units, in all councils, MUST be trained for their position.

By the end of 2012, all direct contact leaders, in all units, in all councils, MUST be trained for their position.

It is a good idea to start now. Use this information to help convince your units of the need for training, and accurate records.

Probably. Just be friendly and explain that you are helping your pack collect that info so they can get a more accurate picture of their training status. My experience is that the council staffers will print out those records with few questions asked, as long as you're nice about it.

Also, the unit rosters show whether an adult has been trained for the position they're listed under. (Just a simple Y/N, and in my experience, often inaccurate, but I suppose it is a starting point)

The Council I serve has had manditory Training for quite some time, as far as I know, the Council only lost one unit because of the requirements.

I do not know how many leaders were dropped because they did not get trained, I know of none, but I don't claim to know every one. The Council did have to overhaul its training recording and District Training Committees. It takes a concerted effort by many scouters to make manditory training work. From the beginning, manditory trainig was presented and talked about as a positive. It can work well.

Will it work well everywhere? I don't know, but at least I can tell you it went well in one Council

Why not a carrot approach from National?

I look at the Local Permit which is a checklist of who the trained leaders are and their training (yeah there's a blip about car insurance that doesn't need to be there).

If all leaders are required to be trained can the Local Permit be retired as redundant or perhaps partially be replaced by a some new for High Adventure-only Permit? Maybe a "Quality Unit" with all "Trained" leaders no longer is required to submit Local Tour Permits.

Imagine a world where those who say you need a tour permit for everything or worse, arbitrarily say when and where a permit is needed, suddenly disappeared because all leaders were qualified, competent, and trusted.

My $0.01 for the thought

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

Welcome to life in the land of liability insurers and litigation attorneys driving business methods.

While I see a need to train us volunteers, I also see much of this training as "protecting the brand name." What I don't see is any rigorous learning analysis to tell folks "how we got here."

I've been an adult trainer since 1987, when I certified in training instruction for the Army. I had access not just to my syllabus, but also to all manner of support materials, including notes from the Course Author. We don't have that in Scouting.

My current observation is too much training is done at a drone, without passion for the subject. The trainer has to care about his material.

Finally, as so many others have said, now training has to make it into ScoutNet. Period.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the lawyers are the ones that are pushing the required training for direct contact scout leaders.

I happen to agree with getting volenteers trained but national needs to look closely at this and not throw the kitchen sink at us. I also think most trained leaders are better than those that are not trained. Requiring the 4 or 5 days of training for all will just force potential new leaders away from the program. This is more of a problem for smaller troops.

1) Why not require two leaders to be completely trained. In addition one additional, completly trained leader for every X number of scouts. Two completely trained leaders required on all outings.

2) Look at a lower level manditory training (less time) for adult volenteers (not leaders)

3) Revamp the entire outdoor training program and make it more meaningful. Adults doing a campfire program with skits and songs is a waste of time as is the first aid breakout and nature. You can't even begin to cover these things in a few hours.

4) Require first aid & CPR for top leaders. Taught by professional trainers. I've seen too many scout sessions that were taught very poorly.

5) Make the required and recommended training policies black and white. No safety afloat, you don't canoe.

6) At that pack, all parents are required to take YP done at the pack level. A BALOO trained leader is required on a camping trip. Den leaders should also take it. This course could easily be done in a half day.

Pulling charter isn't the answer (more childish than anything)Find out why leaders aren't getting trained and fix the real problem. I spent a weekend, (about 48 hours) at camp taking outdoor. How much value did I get out of the investment of personal time? I had a great time but what did I really learn and how much has it helped me to be a better leader? Ask Minsi Trails Council how many leaders they had before the manditory training and how many they have now. Gotta make trained easier and less time if you want people to step up.

Did you take the outdoor training at Camp Minsi last summer week 4?

I am in Minsi Trails Council and before training went required we were at the 25-30% level that is the National norm, or so we were told. Now its past 85% and is recognized as the top COuncil in the COuntry (or so I have been told)

If you are in Minsi Trails, what District are you in?

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand, District Training chairs will be able to input training just as Commissioners can input their unit reports online. It's supposedly in the works to be rolled out with the 2011 mandatory training.

In the mean time, we have pack trainers and district committee members making phone calls to update records at the council level so we have a better idea where our true starting percentage lies.

In my troop and pack, if you don't take training, you don't go on outings, period. All parents at the pack level have to have safe swim, safety afloat, weather hazards and youth protection. At the troop level, all of the above, event specific, plus Wood Badge in order to go on outings with the boys. I'm so glad the committee set the precedent, it's paying off knowing everyone is on the same page.

"All parents at the pack level have to have safe swim, safety afloat, weather hazards and youth protection."

While these courses are online, and relatively easy to do, that is not how the Cub Scout program is set up. The Cub Scout program currently is FAMILY driven.

That is also not what National is requiring.

What do you do with parents who do not have a computer at home, or do not have internet?

What about Tiger Teams?

Are you penalizing the youth because of this?

"At the troop level, all of the above, event specific, plus Wood Badge in order to go on outings with the boys."

What is "event specific"?

I sure hope your Troop pays the $200+ for each parent in the Troop to take Wood Badge!

"At the troop level, all of the above, event specific, plus Wood Badge in order to go on outings with the boys."

IMHO that is simply overkill. You do not need Woodbadge to take the boys out on a week-end outing (or even summer camp.) For heaven's sake what is the world coming to?