Roundtable: What do YOU Want to See?

You're in charge of the next Roundtable.

If there were ONE thing you've always wished they'd do - What is it? What training, activity, whatever have always wished they'd cover at Roundtable?

OR

What is the ONE BEST thing you've seen/experienced at Roundtable?

I'd like to see a presentation on how to get involved with the council contingents that go to the high adventure bases. I know the council sends such contingents, but I've never seen any info on how to get involved with them or how to get my Scouts excited about participating with them.

I suspect it's just the case that some set of people runs the programs from year to year, and they get the word out through some back channels.

The best thing I got out of roundtable was one guy who gave a talk on how his troop did a 50-miler on the AT. We ended up using a ton of their information to do a very similar trip.

In general, I like roundtables that either 1) give a good solid introduction to a topic like that (backpacking on the AT, or going scuba diving, or ...; something like a University of Scouting class), or 2) get the participants talking about how they handle some various topics in their troop (sort of like this forum) - my only caveat is that you have to stop that from devolving into a debate about the G2SS or what is "right" according to some BSA policy.

When I was CM, info for next month was WASTED. I already had NEXT month planned using the Program Helps.

Same thing as ASM in Boy Scouts.

The things I have found useful at RT are the things not published, like:

Who to talk to about Winter OKPIK training/outings (happens outside of our council)

Where are all the Troops/Crews (and their contact info) in our council that go to High Adventure bases (they often have slots open)

Head up info about council events planned more than 1 month away. More than the date info in the council calender.

Where and who are the local Park & Rec. Naturalists and local Park Rangers/Water Safety courses. get them to come to a RT and let us know what they have available.

On the Boy Scout level, I would like to see just that - a round table discussion:

Where did your troop go camping last month? What's the facility like? What's there to do? Etc.

Where are you going for Summer Camp and/or High Adventure?

What is your troop doing for fundraising? Service projects? Day activities?

Any ideas to encourage advancement?

Any new menu ideas you tried?

No formal program, just an exchange of ideas, suggestions, and comments. At too many of the round tables I attended, I felt like I was back in elementary school being taught basic skills that my 11 year old scouts should be learning.

My favorite roundtable presentation to date has been when the head of the disabilities district for our council talked to us about the services her people can provide for us--at the unit level. Very cool.

I wish they scheduled five minutes of "talk with your table" time, to brainstorm on new ideas, good ideas, sticky points.

I think it would also be healthy to shuffle up the tables. People sit w the people they know. Mix us up & make us mingle.

I second the motion, Eagle90!

I will say our district's roundtable has gotten better recently. More guest speakers coming in, such as loacl rec department with potential locations for camping and day programs for the scouts.

Definitely would like to have a t least one meeting set up as an actual "roundtable" discussion, or even a break out with a "roundtable" discusiion on the status of the district, upcoming events, camping spots, etc.

I've been to one roundtable since 2005. The main reason for that is that my son and I transferred to another unit that was in a neighboring district and we have to drive 20+ miles one way to get to our unit. There are weeks where I make that trip multiple times. We have good representation from our unit at roundtable each month, so I choose not to "make the trip" if I don't have to. That being said, when I was in the district where we actually reside, I attended each month as it was 2 miles from my house. I never got anything out of the breakout session for either the Cub or Boy Scout side. I stayed for the opening and announcements and a little parking lot talk, but usually exited for breakout.

What would I want to see.......relevant breakouts.

Keep the suggestions up. It's helping me pass judgment on what I've done for RT in the past and may offer as suggestions for the future. However, I must be doing something right 'cause I've got leaders who have to drive over 2 hours and 90 miles one-way to attend and they show-up faithfully nearly every month, unless there is a serious snow/ice storm up their way on the Quebec border.

Last month it was knot tying. Yawn!

I need skills in the soft art of getting boys to do their jobs as patrol leaders, scribes and quarter masters. The gentle push to get a scout to commit to an Eagle project. Adult management skills. Getting high school aged scouts to go on campouts.

IMHO, the Patrol Method forum has some of the most relevant discussions for a SM.

I'm a volunteer. We have a few professionals here (SecretDE is active, Eagle92 and BadenP are former members), but most of us are volunteers.

We do the things we do as part of that 168- another hour a week for Scouting. We love the program, we do what we can.

If you don't like what is happening in your District Roundtable, volunteer for staff. You'll work with other great volunteers. You'll have your heart handed to you now and again (it's really frustrating to prepare for class and have no one show). Sometimes you'll get that "thank you" that makes all the difference in the world.

You can help make change happen, or you can gripe. Your choice. :) I cose helping make change happen. I changed positions on staff at the first of the year, and I'm having a blast now.

YIS.

I think that the relevant breakout sessions are a good thing. I think that the theme is a good thing if you are using it. Maybe have some people bring in ideas for what they are going to do for upcoming crafts.

Our CS RT Commissioner asked us what we would like to see so she is taking suggestions. I am getting ready to send her some here in a little bit about what we can do for December. Mostly because November is the District Banquet and I am not able to go.

So I would say have the volunteers that are taking the time to come in bring in a craft that they can share.

These are some great suggestions. A common theme seems to be discussion and interaction among the Scouters. Frankly, I think this might need to be directed or guided to keep conversations on track, relevant, and useful to all present. What do the rest of you think?

Should the groups be broken down by experience level, interest, other?

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming!

• 3 weeks later...

"Why not use the Program helps?"

Program Helps are part of the package of program available to units from the National Council. the National Program is BSA's side of meeting the Charter Agreement. Boy's Life is integrated into the National Program with materials for the youth. Roundtable is the prepatory program exposure to the leaders, run by the Commissioner's Service in support of direct contact leaders.

ntrog8r

You're in the same Council as another ghermanno here. He might even be your DAC. You might want to have a friendly cup of coffee with him about RT. He's a good egg, he's been around the block a time or two.

In the meantime,

These are some great suggestions. A common theme seems to be discussion and interaction among the Scouters. Frankly, I think this might need to be directed or guided to keep conversations on track, relevant, and useful to all present. What do the rest of you think?

Should the groups be broken down by experience level, interest, other?

Are you a RT Commish? Have you volunteered for Staff? If not, why not? Be an agent of chnage, working within the system, rather than a rabblerouser. The folks who volunteer RT staff are Scouters like you, with families, day jobs, and Scouting responsibilities. Friendly cups of coffee discussing how to better things are welcome, using the hose blast isn't.