The course can be held either as a week-long (6 day) course or a 2 weekend (3 days each) course. Our council attempted 3 courses this year, 2 weekend courses plus one week-long course. The week-long course had to be canceled as they did not have the minimum 30 participants registered 30 days out and Regional is cracking down (at least in our region).

There are many theories as to why the week-long course did not have enough participants. Was it being overly optimistic to schedule 3 courses in one year? Some see it as 'harder' to get a full week off of work than 2 'weekends' (often our weekend courses are Thurs-Sat to permit religious obligations on Sunday).

The 2 weekend format does permit the patrols time in between the two weekends to work on their project, absorb what they have learned thus far etc. On the other hand, I have spoken to many scouters who would prefer to get it all done at once so there are arguments on both sides.

I recently completed my WB Pratical (I believe that is the proper name for it). We did the two three day weekends. I don't think that too many people could do the six day straight course. It was hard enough doing the two three day weekends and trying to keep work and family happy. I know that my Patrol (Go Beavers) discussed conflicts with both work and spouses and it seemed universal.

For me, when I was younger and first invited to attend WB, the weeklong course over the summer woul have been ideal. I was in college, had a very flexible summer job, and could have done it easily. Heck I staffed JLT during this period. However I bet we couldn't get many participants.

Now it's hard enough for me to get a week off to work CSDC, but add in all the family commitments. Heck you know the wife loves me when she is lettign me attend NCS during her b-day, just gotta make it up the week before.

When I did Boy Scout Leader Woodbadge in 1988, it was a weekend course. AFAIK, they had been doing weekend courses since the late 70s/early 80s.

However, the weekend format was 3 weekends (Friday evening thru Sunday afternoon), with a patrol meeting in between weekends.

When 21CWB was rolled out in, what 2001, it was available in week-long and weekend format, but as noted, the weekend format was 2 3-day weekends.

The course I went through back in 1978 started on Saturday morning and went until late Sunday afternoon the first weekend, patrol meeting during the off week, then arrive back on Friday evening of the 2nd weekend go until Sunday, another patrol meeting in the off week, and the final weekend was again arrive on Friday evening and went until Sunday night.

I did a Walking (Backpacking) Wood Badge so we were in a different campsite each night. Where ever we finished up on Sunday of the first two weekends, they would transport us to that point when we came back on Friday for the subsequent weekend.

As has been stated doing it on weekends seems to make it available for more people to be able to attend.

• 3 weeks later...

I have two people who are interested in WB but will not be able to take it because the "weekend" isn't really the weekend.

One is a teacher by profession and can't take 2 Fridays off and the other is a student who can't get off for the same reason. I checked the whole region around us and no council offers a 3 weekend (real weekend) program or a full week in the summer when people can take the time off.

It's too bad there are good people out there who are taking a pass on some excellent training because of logistics and not program.

Stosh

jblake,

Hmmmm, we have a teacher who is staffing her fourth WB next year. She doesn't seem to have any problem taking Fridays off to staff. In fact, she is there beginning on Tuesday the first week and Wednesday the second week for staff week. Does she get paid while she is off? No. Can she get the time off if she wants to? Sure.

Taking two Fridays off for a two weekend course is a whole lot easier than taking 5 days off for a 6 day straight course. That is the main reason it is offered that way now.

I realize that there is a three weekend variation, but it eats up three weekends instead of two and breaks up the continuity too much.

jblake,

While the "20th Century" Wood Badge course had a provision for three weekends, 21st Century Wood badge has only two options: a week long course or two 3-day weekends. Given that Wood Badge Course Directors are "sworn" to follow the official curriculum, it is unlikely that any Council would offer a 3 weekend variation.

I'd suggest looking around your Region to see if there are any week long courses offered over the summer.

A somewhat different comment on the general topic:

I think the two 3-day weekend format is ideal. The 6 day all-at-once course is a compromise. Having time to think about what one has learned is very valuable.

Eagle, I feel your pain. I've at least missed a wedding anniversary, his birthday, Father's Day (twice), and my birthday. That's what I remember, anyway. I know he loves me, but I do remember he wasn't happy:

The teacher who is considering taking WB and can't is a college professor. He is my ASM and is 90% at all scout activities, he was with me at summer camp. He does have a family and other children not in Boy Scouts (2 in Scouts, 1 in Cubs, 1 in Tigers).

To ask him to take time off from his job would be like asking him to put in 110% for Scouts. Not going to happen. Would he take a week in the summer when he's not working? In a heartbeat, no problem.

The student considering WB has been extremely active in Scouting all the way through, is doing his Eagle project and will age out and become an ASM immediately in January 2010. He'll commit another full year as ASM in our troop because he is a junion in HS at this point. He can't be taking 2 Fridays off of school for this. Would he take a week in the summer when he's not going to school? In a heartbeat, no problem.

I checked our Region and no council is offering WB other than a double 3-day weekend program. Would these two go a couple of states away to take the weeklong WB course, in a heartbeat.

If everyone does it the same way, it really doesn't offer any options for those who find it difficult to accommodate.

If I were considering WB and had 2 weeks vacation, one week for scout camp and the other for personal, I'm thinking WB isn't going to happen any time soon.

I took WB as 3 2-day weekends, and it worked out great.

Stosh

Simple solution? Yes, one weekend before summer camp starts, but school is out and the other weekend after summer camp ends and school hasn't started yet.

NO ONE in any of the regions offer this option, either they are BOTH during the school year or at least one weekend is.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)