Back in March at the completion of the outdoors part of Wood Badge, we were given a recognition coin. I was surprised for two reasons:

1) I didn't realize we would get a coin - that was kind of cool, and

2) To me the coin seemed kind of flimsy and thin.

I live near a couple military bases and people there are given coins for various units, training, or schools they have attended. So I guess my idea of a recognition coin is a little skewed by that. However, I thought a coin that was awarded to me would be a little heavier and wider. This one just seems a bit thin. My personal opinion is that if we are going to issue a coin to somebody it would be something they can show off.

Does anybody else feel this way, or am I just by myself on this one?(This message has been edited by bacchus)

Many course have opted not to give the coin!

So you might want to think yourself lucky?

The CD has no control over the quality of the coin.

The poor fellow is tasked with before the course coming up with a budget for the course.

Strange as it might sound it is all these little "Add Ons" That make his or her life hard.

I can't remember what the cost of the coin was, back when I was a CD?

I'm sure that if needed a really wonderful coin could be made.

But it would come at a cost.

Most people I know either put the coin away somewhere safe??

Or just lose it!

I'd hate to see the cost of the course go up just so we could present a coin that cost an arm and a leg.

Maybe the thing to do is look at the coin for what it represents and not what it is?

Eamonn.

I took the old Boy Scout wood badge back in the 80s. No such thing as a coin then. When I served on staff for a 21st Century course, we were asked if we would like a coin. I accepted because I thought it was a nice gesture. BTW, all the participants received a coin.

FYI- if you want a coin, you can get one from a Scout Shop. They aren't restricted items.

"2) To me the coin seemed kind of flimsy and thin."

I have to agree. I know the coins you are refering to. I'm also familiar with the geocoins available out there. Recognition coins and geocoins are often made by the same companies, and come in a variety of forms, but all are VERY well made and substantial. I have no idea why the coins that National makes are so cheesy in comparison.

Why do you need to receive a coin for Wood Badge when you get the leather thong and Beads? You see this is where I think that Gern may have been leaning with the thread about wearing the uniform to boost one's ego. But then again I'm no mind reader.

Why can't people simply be satisfied with the level of recognition that comes with course completion? Why do they need to keep piling it on? Critter this, critter that, critter dinners, Wood Badge CSP's, the circle badge around the world scouting badge, enough already . . . I get it you have your Wood Badge!

Coins (actually medallions) have been a useful and fairly inexpensive motivational tool in recent years. Commands in the Armed Forces started using them about 20 years ago. They were an "attaboy" that a commander could give without having to push a mound of paper through a bureaucracy.

Through the defense contracting community, they migrated to industry, where the idea of inexpensive recognition caught on like gangbusters. Who needs to give a $300 or $500 bonus when a $3.00 medallion will give the employee a smile and a tangible reminder for several days? OBTW, that the boss often bought you a beer wasn't bad either.

As for me, I'd rather spend another night in the back country. :)

"Why do you need to receive a coin for Wood Badge when you get the leather thong and Beads?

"Why can't people simply be satisfied with the level of recognition that comes with course completion? Why do they need to keep piling it on? Critter this, critter that, critter dinners, Wood Badge CSP's, the circle badge around the world scouting badge, enough already . . . I get it you have your Wood Badge!"

Dude. Chill out. Loose the attitude. You sound very jealous of those who have attended WB.

Like any major course, there are several recognition items. And this is something that I think both you and Gern forget.

WOOD BADGE IS A MAJOR COURSE, and for MANY scouters, a major point in their scouting careers. Similiar for some as going to a high adventure base or a jamboree.

So, yes, for many people, the various mementos are important to them as a reminder of their experience. Little different then those who go to Philmont and wear the Arrowhead patch on their uniform years later, still wear a Philmont belt and buckle, wear the black bull on their red jacshirt, etc. Or the scouter who still wears a Jambo patch from their youth from 40 years ago.

The beads are just one item you get, along with the neckerchief and woggle. You also get a certificate and pocket card. The coin actually serves a purpose, for those who have taken the current course they will understand it.

And there are other items you may receive. A course may have a course t-shirt and maybe a hat, maybe also a patch. A course mug. On my course we had a course mug, and the course director signed the bottom with his WB totem. I don't drink coffee, so my mug is put away with all my other WB mementos.

Frankly, around here most people just wear the beads. I rarely see the neckerchief (neckerchiefs aren't worn by most people because they are too hot) except for special occasions. I see the rare WBer who might wear something indicating their patrol, or prehaps are still wearing their course patch.