Hello,

Can someone please help me understand exactly what a ticket is for WB? I've volunteered in my sons scout pack/troop going on 8 years now. I've always been on the committe and have served in many roles, Advancement Chair, Newsletter Editor, Secretary, Training Coord and most recently I've moved up to the Committee Chair. AAAH!! Well, I am attending Wood Badge at the end of Sept & 1st week of Oct and I must say that I am rather nervous about what this ticket entails or how to even go about considering what I should do. I know that I haven't even attended the first class yet, but I like to be prepared and know what I am getting into beforehand. I understand that this is my vision and my goal for the troop as a committee chair, right? To be honest, our troop runs really smoothly and at this time I can not think of anything that I could do and consider it as being a huge accomplishment. I don't want to do something meaningless, yet I want to be proud of the accomplishment at the same time. I've read many different posts that indicate that we must have 5 tickets... is that correct or is it only one? Also, will the TG provide suggestions or ideas that I could consider for our troop? Maybe I am getting all worked up for nothing. Can someone please provide me with some words of wisdom and help me understand what I have signed up for? Thank You!!

Basically, your 'ticket' is a set of goals (the minimum is 5, hence why you hear references to '5 tickets', its actually 5 goals that make up your ticket) which YOU work out with your troop guide/coach counselor on how YOU will apply what you learned in Wood Badge to YOUR job in scouting. I believe one goal is to be about 'diversity'.

Ideally, your WB course will give you information on how to do your ticket goals, and hopefully can give you guide, suggestions, and examples. They will give you templates to fill out to define your 5 goals. You should lead the final day of the course with those worked out, tho I think most people will put together their final, written goals, within a couple of weeks afterwards.

Tickets must be completed between 6 & 18 months after your course, so keep that in mind.

Beyond that I'm not sure I want to go into, as your course will handle the rest, and I don't want to contradict what they might say.

There will be a lot of help available to guide you through the process. Also, ticket items typically don't just involve your unit. You'll do just fine.

I just finished up my ticket and had a conference with my ticket counselor. The whole process (course and ticket) was very personally rewarding to me, and has led to many opportunities both in and out of scouting.

The biggest thing I would say right now is relax. :) Your WB staff should provide great support in helping you develop a ticket. I was concerned about trying to come up with 5 myself, but after a couple of nights in the woods, with all of my patrol mates bouncing ideas off one another, I found they sort of came to me naturally.

Just do yourself a favor, and don't forget to enjoy yourself. It's a great experience.

I'm attending a session that starts in about a month. I had similar questions a few months ago, prior to committing to attending. But I'm a "go with the flow" type of Guy too.

I've already met at least half of the training staff, and a small handful of the participants. I'm looking forward to it. Although I haven't start to contemplate ticket items yet, I have started a list of projects, some of which may or may not become good ticket items. I'll work that out with my Troop Guide.

Guy

Comm Chair,

Greetings!

Similar to emb021, I state WB is a course about setting goals, and how to carry out those goals. Ideally those goals will benefit your primary organization. Basically it will help your son(s), and other parents son(s) to achieve advancement.

It uses leadership educational material, Disney movies, and games (with a purpose) wrapped up in Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturing theme, to see where you may help your program succeed.

During Roundtables, I tell my friends that, if you want you Pack, Troop or Crew to benefit then attend Wood Badge. And if you really want your Troop to benefit, send you SPL/PL's to NYLT.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

I attended WB as A CC. Do not worry about it. All of your questions will be answered as you take the course. Your ticket will be written before you leave the course. It will be looked over and approved by your Ticket Counselor and the SM for WB. They will advise you and guide you.

To give you an example, one of my ticket items was to hold a "Merit Badge" day that would be open to any one who wanted to attend free of charge. This helped my troop as well as other scouts in other troops. You will have a good time. Relax and enjoy the ride.