How might the BSA better recognize trainers?

I searched for posts on this topic but found none, so I decided to submit this to the group. The BSA has certainly strengthened its emphasis on training in recent years. However, recognitions for trainers appear to be few and far between. One of the few I'm aware of is the PTC knot, and another is awarding Wood Badge beads to course directors of NYLT and NAYLE. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of recognition for Scouters who show up for IOLS or leader-specific training on a regular basis, year after year.

So I ask the question: How might the BSA better recognize trainers in general, and what are Scouters in the various councils already doing in this area?

Why?

We need to be trained so we know how to do our job, not because we can decorate ourselves. Frankly, adult recognition is one of the bigger problems we have. It creates cliques and prejudice. Sometimes I think the program is more for the adults than the youth.

One thing I have seen, and this was back in the day when you had SM Fundametnals and it was an all or nothing set up, was a 'Training Troop" necker. Staff wore red necker with a gold border, participants wore red necker with white border. It was part of the uniform requirements for training and it looked good. It provided a nice memento of training. PLUS it brings back in use a great uniform item

As for swank with adults, I can see it as a problem,and I admit I'm one of the guilty. I've been fortunate in that I've done alot with the BSA over the past 27 years now. So I do have a lot of swank on the uniform: 2 rows of knots, temp insig, OA flap, WSJ patch, ES CSP, etc. But this is stuff I've either done or been given, so it has some meaning. And with the exception of 2 knots and the WSJ patch, everything is stuff I did as a youth.

IF national was to come out with trainers swank, then i would recommend a temp patch. a KISS designed patch. Although a necker would also be nice too.

The only recognition that I want as a Trainer is for my course participants to tell me that they learned a lot, enjoyed themselves, and would recommend the course to others.

If you feel the need for any other kind of recognition, then you are doing it for the wrong reason.

Being a Trainer is not about adding more bling to your uniform.

I should state that I do wear my four bead WB.

But, I would be just as happy to wear two beads or no beads.

Training Staff do a good job and a worthwhile job.

But so do members of the Camping Committee, Membership Committee, Finance Committee. - You get the idea.

I do think that with Commissioners fading away (IMHO.) Having a Team of Trainers to replace them. Might be a good idea. While these guys could wear a District Committee Patch, having a District Trainer patch might not be a bad idea.

Eamonn.

No beads here. I used to be a nobody...and still am.

I recently sat on an Eagle BOR for a young man...the last of 3 brothers to earn it. When Mom and Dad (a troop ASM) walked in, Dad recognized me as his "Trainer" for NLE and CS leader specific when he was a Den Leader. It was kinda cool to be there to see the efforts pay off...on all our parts.

Gern writes "Frankly, adult recognition is one of the bigger problems we have. It creates cliques and prejudice."

You must live in a very different Scouting world that I do. This is certainly not a problem around here. If I remember correctly, B-P wore a lot of awards on his uniform.

For a youth program, we adults sure do spend a lot of time decorating ourselves and debating and preening our decorations. Gotta have flair. At least 15 pieces, right? No spirit if you don't have flair. Heck without all the doodads, how could we tell one scouter from another? You know, what if everyone dresses the same. Uniform?

Fellow Scouters and Trainers,

As I sit here at NYLT struggling to keep my eyes open. For our Council-district trainers whom have completed a small checklist, we recognize them with a specific nametag. Alot of great Scouters, but very few complete the checklist requirements. Maybe about 10 or less each year.

For my friends that take the time off to come back to Specifics, IOLS, BALOO, I give the a district trainer 3" trainers round patch (for the shirt pocket), and a Thank you certificate.

So those are some easy mementos.

Like others have said, having Scouter Joe come smiling down the trail and tell his ASM/Committee Members "Hey! This is Crew21_Adv, he taught me everything I know at Outdoor training last year". Smiles, handshakes, catching up on our Scouting sons and families are the real paycheck.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

Since, the original question wasn't should they recognize but rather how could they better recognize: Not having to pay the course fee to gonto the training event might be nice, it's one thing to pay to cover the cost to TAKE the training but is kind of (almost) insulting to pay to go instruct. Now if it includes some nice camping downtime that lessens the sting a little but in reality most of the time Instructors should't have to pay to attend the event they're training.

Also, if the Council/ District whomever, does do the Proficient Trainer patch or certificates,Etc., it might be nice if they could manage to award them in the same calendar year they were earned... Still waiting.... :)

"but is kind of (almost) insulting to pay to go instruct. Now if it includes some nice camping downtime that lessens the sting a little but in reality most of the time Instructors shouldn't have to pay to attend the event they're training."

Sorry Gunny,

I'm not with you on this one.

As I see it Trainers don't pay for the training (Kinda, sorta, well most of the time!!)

Trainers pay for things that they would have to pay for anyway. The big item being food.

It used to be that Wood Badge Staff didn't pay anything when staffing a course. Now the guidelines say that they should.

I don't have a problem paying my own way. I'm happy to pay for food, shirts and the like as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

I'm not happy having to pay the money to cover the fees for watching movies and the like. I would think that National could have made a deal with the copyright people to cover everyone.

I would hate to really see how much of my own money I have spent on training over the years. I should add that me spending it was my choice. I used to be able to get by with a flip chart stand and a couple of flip chart pads. That became a TV/ VCR combo, that became a laptop with a LCD projector. Even the replacement bulbs for that thing costs about $300.00! I choose to buy this stuff as trying to get it from the Council Service Center was always a pain and half the time when I did get it, something didn't work. Then I had to make time to bring it all back.

The CD on every WB I staffed always gave his /her staff a little something for being on staff as a way of saying thank you.

I gave the staff that worked with me a table top flip chart stand that I had made in a local wood shop. These of course were not a budget item and I paid for them out of my pocket. As you can imagine paying for 25 of these things wasn't a small amount. But here again it was my choice. I didn't have to do it.

At the end of the day, Trainers get the same real recognition that youth leaders do. They get the satisfaction of knowing that they have done a job well done.

They don't know, just as a SM never knows where he training that they have provided will take someone. I've seen people who were participants on courses I presented years back go on to present other training's for lots of other Scouter's who very well might in time do the same thing.

Truth is that we just never know.

Not knowing is sometimes nice as we can think that we really have made a difference!

Ea.

"Why?"

OK. Perhaps I didn't set up my question properly. I'm not looking at trainer recognitions as an opportunity for another "atta-boy." Certainly the BSA would seem to have enough of those, and far too often (as has been pointed out) these turn into popularity contests and really cliquish things. Full disclosure: I wear two knots. Both were earned.

What I am looking for is something that would encourage more Scouters to become trainers so that you don't have the same 4-5 people doing it every time and getting seriously burned out. Something based on performance and not the subjective judgment of some closed-door committee someplace.(This message has been edited by sherminator505)