Got back yesterday from a week at the PTC. I had a fanastic time, and I'm ready to go back. Some notes on the issues people have discussed:

1) Food was very good. Much better than I expected. I enjoyed every single entree, and some were downright great. The chili-glazed salmon was especially good (slightly overcooked, but what do you want). There was also a salad bar and cold cereal and milk available at every meal.

2) My family of three had 2 brand new tents. I know they were brand new because they were manufactured in 3/09, and the cloth was in perfect condition. The beds were very comfortable.

3) Restrooms were clean and nice. Had to wait for 1 or 2 people at the showers at 5:45am, but learned that there is no line in the hour between breakfast and class, nor is there a line in the evening. Some days I took two luxurious showers. Water was way too hot, though.

4) Restrooms were approximately 4 seconds from my tent, which was too close because I could hear sounds I didn't necessarily need to hear sometimes. Earplugs assured a sound night sleep after the first night.

5) Kids program was very good. The three PTC staffers who ran my son's program were excited, helpful, kind, etc. They sang, danced, and pushed the kids when necessary. My son enjoyed all the activities.

6) Wife did some of the spouse activities, but was a little under the weather so spent more time in the handicraft building and also reading.

7) The extracurricular activities were also fun. Indian dancing, country western dance, boot branding, etc, all well-run and good.

8) Weather was warmer than expected, with days in the 90's and evenings only into the very high 50's. I was never cool, never used any of the long sleeve shirts or long pants I dragged across the country.

9) All (almost) adults wore class A uniforms M/T/R/F, and many on Wednesday, and to all meals and extra activities. Many kids wore class A on Monday and then sometimes during the week. Glad I bought a 3rd shirt to wear.

10) PTC and Philmont staff were uniformly and without exception super friendly, helpful, etc. I was very impressed by them.

I will be going back, as soon as possible. Already talking about helping perhaps teach a course next year.

-Melgamatic