• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Naw, focus on the boys, that's where the real reward in scouting is.  District and council politics is not my game.  I was in scouting for over 20 years before I got District Award of Merit and I've b

My overall premise is that someone who has already had corporate-style leadership training in the private sector or the military (really, many other governmental setting could apply) will gain very li

This game is nothing new. My college did something similar back in the day, and I was required by one of my teachers to attend the 3 hour time-wasting exercise as a part of one of my classes. He would

I gave you the link.  The quote is from the Robert K. Greenleaf Center for Servant Leadership website.  Home:  https://www.greenleaf.org/Isuppose they could be putting up fake quotes, but it seems unlikely.

"[P]ersuasion by any other means than the traditional authoritarian model is the better course of action to follow.† Note "any."  

Edited by TAHAWK

The context of the quote was throwing me off.  the quoted comments in "The Servant as Leader" is referenced under the Power and Authority section and referenced the practical application of the servant-leadership in the problem solving context.

I was referencing from Greenleaf's earlier theoretically premised book "Servant Leadership, A Journey into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness" published in 1977, which was the basis for the servant leadership movement in our society.

Too long of a thread to fully read ... Reminds me of our troop agenda for troop youth leadership training.  Lunch is a bag lunch.  Nothing is said.  It's just lunch.  Scouts grab a bag.  It's just that one bag has the deserts.  One has the meats.  One has the bread.  One has the sides.  One has the condiments.  The scouts are to figure out they need to work together and to be fair to each other.  I always feel bad for the scout that grabs the deserts and has to surrender that prize.

Too long of a thread to fully read ... Reminds me of our troop agenda for troop youth leadership training.  Lunch is a bag lunch.  Nothing is said.  It's just lunch.  Scouts grab a bag.  It's just that one bag has the deserts.  One has the meats.  One has the bread.  One has the sides.  One has the condiments.  The scouts are to figure out they need to work together and to be fair to each other.  I always feel bad for the scout that grabs the deserts and has to surrender that prize.

You just described the intent of today's Wood Badge course in a nut shell.

Barry

You just described the intent of today's Wood Badge course in a nut shell.

Barry

The intent of today's Wood Badge is to hand out "bags" with unknown contents, some much better other?  

I'm diabetic.  Candy is the Booby Prize.  Others might be vegetarians or vegans.  Who is the final arbiter of what is of value to each or particular recipients of the "bags"?  You?

The recipients are not told what they are to accomplish with the contents of these "bags"?   You have witnessed the current version of Wood Badge?

Recalling that the claim was as to the "intent" of Wood Badge, as opposed to the success with which the intent is realized:

Older son would have eaten all the desserts. Younger son would have sold the desserts. Both would had declared a WIN. :laugh:

The Objectives of Wood Badge

Wood Badge has four specific objectives: As a result of attending Wood Badge, participants will be able to:

x View Scouting globally, as a family of interrelated, values-based programs that provide age-appropriate activities for youth.

x Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in corporate America and leading government organizations that are relevant to our values-based movement.

x Apply the skills they learn from their participation as a member of a successful working team.

x Revitalize their commitment by sharing in an overall inspirational experience that helps provide Scouting with the leadership it needs to accomplish its mission on an ongoing basis.

Older son would have eaten all the desserts. Younger son would have sold the desserts. Both would had declared a WIN.  :laugh:

Who would the Servant have been?  Younger son?

Older son would have eaten all the desserts. Younger son would have sold the desserts. Both would had declared a WIN.  :laugh:

The Objectives of Wood Badge

Wood Badge has four specific objectives: As a result of attending Wood Badge, participants will be able to:

x Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in corporate America and leading government organizations that are relevant to our values-based movement.

So, how to run a fiscally-irresponsible debt-driven Troop program that focuses on quarterly JTE metrics, outsource Troop leadership a consulting company, and back-fill shrinking patrols with H1-B visa holders?  

I can't wait for the rank-advancement kiosks to start popping up.

Edited by MrBob

So, how to run a fiscally-irresponsible debt-driven Troop program that focuses on quarterly JTE metrics, outsource Troop leadership a consulting company, and back-fill shrinking patrols with H1-B visa holders?  

I can't wait for the rank-advancement kiosks to start popping up.

You've just described how most associations are run. ;)

Well-run companies don't run as you describe.

• Upvote 1

Direction. Not everyone leaves feeling fulfilled from the course, but that doesn't mean the course is wrong for everyone. Many folks find their calling in the BSA as a result of the course. 

^ This X100 and many life long friends!

A while back, I heard a course director say about Wood Badge: "is it for everyone, no.  But, if you approach it with an open mind and a desire to get something from the course, many find it to be a great experience."

• Upvote 1

There is a theory that it is inefficient to spend "sales" effort on either those who support or those who oppose an idea.  Each of those groups already has ego invested in a position - for or against.

Instead, the theory goes, the target should be those who are neutral - open-minded on the question.