• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Naw, focus on the boys, that's where the real reward in scouting is.  District and council politics is not my game.  I was in scouting for over 20 years before I got District Award of Merit and I've b

My overall premise is that someone who has already had corporate-style leadership training in the private sector or the military (really, many other governmental setting could apply) will gain very li

This game is nothing new. My college did something similar back in the day, and I was required by one of my teachers to attend the 3 hour time-wasting exercise as a part of one of my classes. He would

Yeah, I am really puzzled by the whole event. After the 1st 3 day course one of the facilitators posted on the Woodbage Facebook page "What a great weekend we all had"

Then I posted "I wish I had the same experience" and that was all, after that I saw my post was deleted and I was removed from the group.

In my 8 years of scouting I have never been upset at anything because I know everyone puts in a lot of personal time and effort to volunteer for the BSA

After that experience I have taken a whole new attitude.

I think I just need to toughen up my skin a little......

Naw, focus on the boys, that's where the real reward in scouting is.  District and council politics is not my game.  I was in scouting for over 20 years before I got District Award of Merit and I've been passed over for Silver Beaver 3 different times.  Reason?  Don't help out on the district and council level.  Yep, and that ain't gonna change any time soon.  :)

• Upvote 3

Call your course SM. (Or talk to your PL :) ) Explain what happened and let him know you'd like to get your money's worth by still working your ticket. It's not about the beads, really. It's about the opportunity to have someone hold you accountable to the tasks you thought were important to do in the next year and a half.  You'd like to see if that "You all can win" mantra is really true.

If they blow smoke, talk to another scouter in your district or troop who would be willing to be your informal ticket guide for the next year.

I took that class about the same time this thread started. I remember that game and I just sat back and started to stew about how at a scout training function people were just getting so greedy. It was so much against everything we had been working on. I was disgusted and refused to get involved. The guy leading it was just a slime ball. Very good acting and he sucked a lot of people in. The difference with what you seemed to have run into and my experience is that your trainers just kept going with it. At one point our staff just stopped everything and said okay everyone, look what happened. I went from being pissed off to embarrassed I didn't catch on earlier that they had me hook line and sinker. In all honesty this game had the biggest impact on me than anything else all week. Everything else was bland-vanilla-we've-all-seen-it-before-kumbaya-acronym-hell and this game got down to the grit.

Anyway, Mr Ed, hang in there.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, i agree the rest of the course bored me to death, If someone talked one more time about diversity I was going to puke! I have a 100% Native Hawaiian, 100% Native American, Asian, Hispanic, African American and Caucasian. Red hair, brown hair and blonde. Every religion under the stars. So no need for the speech of diversity. And to me the whole point of the game did not click for me. I worked 9 years in NASCAR and at the super speedways all the drivers would have their drafting partner that they raced with the whole race. When it came down to the money lap all your trust and friendships went out the window. This is a game of teams, competition and you should "win all you can"

Yeah, i agree the rest of the course bored me to death, If someone talked one more time about diversity I was going to puke! I have a 100% Native Hawaiian, 100% Native American, Asian, Hispanic, African American and Caucasian. Red hair, brown hair and blonde. Every religion under the stars. So no need for the speech of diversity. And to me the whole point of the game did not click for me. I worked 9 years in NASCAR and at the super speedways all the drivers would have their drafting partner that they raced with the whole race. When it came down to the money lap all your trust and friendships went out the window. This is a game of teams, competition and you should "win all you can"

Aye, but if every team tries to win all they can, everybody gets negative points. You may have less negative points than another team, but I don't see how you can win with negative points. 

This is also confusing now. Is the point of the game a lesson in ethical behavior or is it a lesson in how to screw the competition? Or is it a lesson which equates the two?

The point is to show you can win by mutual cooperation, instead of thinking about yourself or your small group.

I have no idea the rationale behind this "game" other than it basically ticks everyone off in the end.  By the time WB staff gets around to doing all the neatsy stuff about ethics and competition, it all goes out the window the first camporee the SM goes on.  The boys are out to win the competition and get ribbons for the flag and trophies for the shelf, but in the past 35+ years of scouting I have never heard anyone getting a trophy at camporee for ethics.  Our summer camp has campwide games of competition and I don't see anyone worried about the ethics of the situation and I have never heard anyone in any of these scout competitions award negative points.

I minored in Psychology in college so I have an inkling of what this "game" may be about, but it's practical application to scouting seems to be a bit of a stretch.  Maybe someone can enlighten me and all the others who haven't had the new and improved WB course.

The point is to show you can win by mutual cooperation, instead of thinking about yourself or your small group.

Oh, okay, it has nothing to do with any games the scouts might be playing then.  Makes sense to me..... right.

Sorry I came in late on this discussion, but I"m leaving early to make up for it.

Edited by Stosh