kbandit offered a copy of a CD from University of Scouting. Is this something that most councils do? What does it include?

I have attended UoS in our council for a number of years and have even attended UoS in a larger council and have not gotten a UoS CD. Last year, I chaired UoS and a friend chaired Pow-Wow the week before. This year we will co-chair and combine the events. We had a good turnout for UoS last year, and hope to increase attendance even more this year. A CD with all sorts of info might be something we want to add as a bonus for early sign up, but I don't know what it should include.

what would you like to see on a CD for UoS? I hope to have both new and experienced scout leaders continue to attend.

Edited to correct spelling(This message has been edited by Scouter&mom)

Our council had their first UoS a little over a year ago (a DE brought in the idea), and the second one was the last January. I attended both, and enjoyed both. All sessions that I attended, except for one, were interesting and useful. The one that wasn't was a case of apresenter cancelling at the last second, the replacement was overloaded and didn't teach it, and the guy who did showed up 15 minutes late and winged it. It was a waste of an hour. But other than that, everything was great and I'm looking forward to the next one (and I plan on volunteering to teach a session).

A CD: I think that is an interesting idea. Especially if the basic program is the same, year after year, it would be interesting to gather a series of course notes, along with resources. Many documents are available online now (Troop Program Features, for example) and those could be included too (as long as there is no issue with copyright and distribution).

guy

Ours usually has as many of the handouts as could be obtained by the dead line to produce the number of required CD's.

Handouts, Course outlines, Resource Lists, Online Links were all features of our latest UoS CD handout.

I have a fist full of U of S CDs from our council. The information is a great resource. But I keep asking myself why they don't save the expense of producing the CDs and put the documents on the council website?

It would provide access to those who can't make the event and then every Scouter would not have to keep a personal library.

Another thing about having each year online is would make it great for reference. For instance even though every year we have a course called something like "New Scoutmaster Essentials" it is taught by a different SM. I have gone three times and it is completely different. Each time the information is great. I would love to be able to read over the handout from every time the course has been taught. A wealth of out in the woods experience.

Here is a word doc that was included in 2008. Our cd's have lots of powerpoint presentations included, links to sites, lots of pdf files, and lots of information. Below is 1 of 4 handout for Troop Court of Honor on that particular cd.

University of Scouting

January 19, 2008

B315 - Court of Honor

Notes

1) Immediate recognition is a powerful incentive of the BSAs advancement program. A scout should receive his new badge as soon as possible after his achievement has been certified by a board of review. A simple ceremony at the conclusion of a troop meeting or during a campout is ideal, with the Scoutmaster making the presentation of the badge.

--from the Scoutmaster Handbook, Ch. 10

2) A troop holds a Court of Honor every three months- a formal recognition with families, friends, and the public in attendance. All scouts who have moved up to any rank except Eagle Scout, or who have earned merit badges since the last court of honor, should be recognized. (A special Eagle Scout court of honor will be held after an Eagle Scout board of review has certified that a Scout has completed all of the requirements for that rank and the application has been approved by the National Council. The Scout and his family should be involved in planning the ceremony and selecting those who will make the presentation of the award.)

3) Courts of honor may be chaired by the head of the troop committee, or the troop committee member responsible for advancement. The planning of the program also should be handled by these individuals, along with other members of their committees.

4) Courts of honor can be very meaningful experiences for Scouts. To make the most of the opportunity, those planning a court of honor might consider these guidelines.

 Publish the dates for courts of honor in the troop calendar.

 Promote upcoming courts of honor throughout the troop.

 Involve the chartered organization.

 Invite local media.

 Have all awards on hand and certificates signed well in advance of the event.

 Ensure that the meeting place is appropriate and properly set up. Consider outdoor locations, weather permitting.

 Use decorations and props that are fitting for the occasion.

 Make the ceremony dignified and meaningful, both for Scouts and for the audience.

 Consider serving refreshments afterward and providing adults and Scouts time to visit.

 Watch the time. Most courts of honor should last no more than an hour.

5) Basic Protocols to consider.

1. The Scouts enter carrying the troop and patrol flags.

2. The court of honor members enter.

3. The color guard enters carrying the colors. The Scouts and audience members stand at attention.

4. The parents and audience members join the Scouts in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

5. An appropriate opening ceremony is presented.

6. The court chairperson (or master of ceremonies) convenes the court of honor.

7. The court chairperson calls on members of the court to make awards presentations.

8. Special program features are presentedScout demonstrations, a brief address, or singing.

9. Retire the colors.

10. Close. The court of honor may close with the troop's regular closing ceremony.

6) Idea Checklist:

Planning Phase

o ___ Schedule the date.

o ___ Reserve the facility.

o ___ Meet with the Eagle Scout, committee, and parents.

o ___ Request letters from dignitaries, etc.

o ___ Secure the speaker/court commitment.

o ___ Send invitations.

o ___ Print programs.

o ___ Prepare/distribute news releases.

o ___ Mail programs to participants.

o ___ Order refreshments.

Physical Arrangements

o ___ Seating for audience

o ___ Seating for platform

o ___ Lighting

o ___ Heat and ventilation

o ___ Public address system

o ___ Special equipment [such as movie equipment, if used)

o ___ Custodians cooperation secured

o ___ Refreshment?

o ___ Parking

Awards Presentation

o ___ Badges and certificates are in individually marked envelopes.

o ___ Clasps on mothers' pins and metal badges are open and ready to be pinned on.

o ___ All other awards and recognitions are arranged and marked.

Presenter's Briefing

o ___ One Scout at a time receives his award.

o ___ The Scout faces the audience.

o ___ The Scout is on a box or raised platform.

o ___ The Scout is spotlighted, if possible.

o ___ The presenter knows where to pin the badge.

o ___ The presenter knows how to give the Scout handshake using the left hand.

General Program

o ___ Who is to be introduced?

o ___ Make speakers aware of the time limit.

o ___ Prepare notes for people who are not familiar with the activities.

o ___ Encourage parents' participation.

o ___ Recognize the Scoutmaster and other leaders. Have any demonstration or special program materials on hand.

o ___ Plan the entrance for court of honor officials.

o ___ Start on time and end on time.

o ___ Set up and staff refreshment? and reception tables.

Follow-up Details

o ___ Make arrangements for returning equipment and cleanup.

o ___ Send a note of thanks to program participants, the custodian, and any others who helped.

Webpages of Interest: These few webpages have multiple descriptions of Court of Honor Ceremonies.

http://www.danandsherree.com Sample ceremonies

http://scoutmaster.org/rank_ceremonies_final.pdf Sample Ceremonies

It makes great reference materail. On the 2008 cd it includes materails from classes that were taught in 2007 but not 2008. Most classes have atleast one document or powerpoint presentation. Our cd's are passed out after the last class or can be requested from council office at a later date.

• 2 months later...

If memory serves, UoS is a local training that covers mul;tiple areas, basically a CS Powwow, except for all scouters. While some courses may have a national agenda, i.e. leader specific training, most don't and are viewed as supplemental training.