New training courses and mandates

Annie,

Yep the BSA is getting that way. With all the different BSA training courses out there, I now know why the "OVERTRAINED" joke patch is popular. Heck with nearly 50 courses on my own training record, maybe I need to get one of those Overtrained patches.

• 2 weeks later...

So how do we express this displeasure to National? I can't find any way to provide feedback to National on scouting.org -- they seem to want all contact to go through the Council but there's no way to see that Council is passing on comments or critiques.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been a Scout/Scouter for almost 40 years, (and I am only 46). I have been a Cub, Scout, OA, Tiger Dad, Den Leader, ACM, CM, ASM, & SM. I am NOT God's gift to scouting, but have been around the block a few times, and really love Scouting. I firmly believe that all leaders should be trained, as soon as reasonably possible. The grip I have is that to get my trained patch, I need to do "Outdoor Training". I will do it for the good of the Troop & Scouts, but there is no way I can convince my wife that this time will be spent learning anything. And before anyone replies, asking to be on training staff is not a option locally (not WB qualified). All I can do is attend & document. BTW, one of my fellow ASMs asked the District Trainer if we need to take the course over you move from ASM to SM, and the answer is yes? SM & ASMs attended the same course together, why would I have to attend it again if I moved up, or the SM moved down to ASM? I could see the lecture part(if it was different traing, which it is not) but why would you reattend the "Outdoor" part. I think this policy assumes that the Leader attending training was never a Scout or Leader before (or is it just excessive CYA on Nationals part). Perhaps there should be a District Trainer sign off/waiver for the outdoors portion for Scouters who have 10 or 20 year pins?

I think trainer is condusing the CS specific trainings with IOLS. Once you take it, you are good to go with BS camping. Still need BALOO and the Web Leader one though.

Your council requires trainers to be WB trained? I'm glad i'm not in your council as we would never have staff.

In order to be a fully trained SM, or ASM, you need to take, Youth Protection, This is Scouting (New Leader Essentials), SM/ASM Leader Specific, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills.

These only need to be taken once. It does not matter how many times you switch from SM to ASM, and back again.

I am sorry to hear you do not feel that you need to take the trainings. Perhaps you do know it all, however BSA would like the boys you will be in charge of to have an even chance of getting a decent BSA program, no matter how long you personally have been a member.

From my Councils website: Introduction to Outdoor Skills - Outdoor skills are critical to the success of the Scouting program, and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills will provide leaders with the basic outdoor skills information needed to start a program right.

Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills is the required outdoor training for all Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, and Varsity Scout Coaches. The skills taught are based on the outdoor skills found in The Boy Scout Handbook.

From Scoutnut - I am sorry to hear you do not feel that you need to take the trainings. Perhaps you do know it all, however BSA would like the boys you will be in charge of to have an even chance of getting a decent BSA program, no matter how long you personally have been a member.

I only felt that I did not need to take the "Introduction to Outdoor Skills", as it is takes a weekend in my council. I was being honest about my camping skills after almost 40 years of Scouting that I will not learn any "basic outdoor skills information" that will be provided during the weekend. I completely understand the Patrol method, and encourage the boys to run "their" program. I am only a mentor at this stage of my scouting career.

Yes, my the boys in my Troop need & deserve a "Trained" leader. This is why I will attend. I will be a willing member of my patrol, as I have no desire to ruin others time/training. My only grip was that I would not be able to convince my wife on why I am going, as she has read the course description.

Its attitude like yours towards me that makes me not want deal with Scouting above the unit level.

Scoutnut, I do thank you for your guidance on that the courses will only be required once. I will check with Council to see what their actual policy is, as the guidance we recieved during SM/ASM Leader Specific traing from the District Training Team did not seem to make sense.

While the outdoor material has something to do with skills, it is more focused on how to run things, the ins and outs of a weekend in the outdoors with kids. If it is too basic for you, then you can simply become the mentor for those for whom it is all new or strange, just like a senior scout. Also, you many be surprised; someone may introduce you to something new, or a different, possibly better way to do something. Good luck.

Scout is Outing.

Chief,

I feel ya, I've been involved with the BSA for 27 years, did SM Fundamentals, Attended Brownsea 22 and staffed a JLT conference, and organized and ran CS events. BUT I had to attend BALOO. While I didn't learn anything new, except a new knot, I need get to spend time with other new CS leaders, esp the ones in my son's pack. So ti wasn't a total lost.

Again try talkign to staff. Maybe they will let you on staff, that way you are killing twobirds with one stone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As it stands now, there are not too many courses that are required for a Scouter to be trained and (thankfully) many of these are now online. That means if you're here, you can get there.

As for the BSA's emphasis on continuing training for Scouters, I agree. I am returning to Scouting after a five-year hiatus, and I find myself feeling more than a little flat-footed and probably need a few refreshers. Also, keep in mind that many of the training courses that the BSA requires for certain activities are there in part to keep the group insurance rates lower, which in turn affects registration rates.

I honestly don't know what it means except that your councilis one of the pilots. I did fund out that there is a pilot program in a few councils,a nd that they hope to expand natinwide if successful.

What I do know is that those old leaders who did not turn in the paperwork for a background check after being informed by mail by the council that they would be removed from the charter if they did not comply DID get removed! So whether the the unti will not bwe allowed to recharter, or the 'untrained" leader is removed, again I don't know.

ALSO I do hope your council's records are up tio date. i've had problems with records not being up to date.

Finally, what's goign to happen to those folks in multiple positions, i.e ASM and crew Adviser, who are trained fully trained in one position, including WB, but have not been fully trained in another, i.e. missing IOLS, but has everything else and SA, SSD, the new Aquatics Supervisor (he's getting this one this week), etc?