I was looking at the new tour permit form and it raised a question about training. On the first page it states "Youth protection training is valid for two years from the date completed". That I knew, but then I went on to page 2. In the grid to fill in the training for the adult leaders it says at the top "Expiration date of commitment card/training (two years from completion date)" then under it list YPT, Hazardous Weather, Safe Swim Defense, BALOO, etc. Does your training in these other courses really expire after two years? I am a cub scout leader so the one I am most concerned about is Baloo. I was planning on taking it this fall, but if it expires after two years that means it will expire before my son finishes Cub Scouts. Does anyone have any insight into which of these do or don't expire after two years?

YPT, Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, BSA Lifeguard and a few other I can't remember do have expiration dates on them. That way skills and knowledge can be retested, and updated info can be interjected.

From the National Website, under Scouting Safely -

Tour Permit FAQs

Q. Does the BALOO training that is listed in the activity training matrix have an expiration?

A. BALOO is a locally administered course that does not have an expiration date. Repeating the course biannually is not a requirement at this time. Insert the date you took BALOO into the training matrix.

Thanks for the info. That was the answer I was hoping for. I did look a little closer at the new form and under where it lists what traning is needed for different activities, it states "The listed BSA training is valid for two years". Baloo is included in the list right before this statement. From the FAQ, it might be local administered, but I would still consider it BSA training. They may need to update the form.

Yes, BALOO is BSA training. By "locally administered" I believe they mean that it is not an online training. All of the others, Youth Protection, Safe Swim Defense, Safety Afloat, Climb On Safely, and Hazardous Weather, can be completed online at MyScouting.

In my council, the BSA lifeguard course takes place at summer camp (an all week proposition) or at a 12 week course at a high school pool. I took it in 2003. When it expired, I asked about getting it renewed, and no one knew how it could be done except to take the course again. No one mentioned doing a retest.

How does this happen in other parts of the country?