"This is Scouting" is out! (NLE replacement)

The online NLE - "This is Scouting" - is now up on the BSA E-Learning site.

Scoutnut put this in another thread but I thought there would be enough interest to put it under it's own heading.

Thanks Scoutnut!

(This message has been edited by CNYScouter)

There was a lot of old/recycled video in the presentation. One example was the Tiger Cubs Immediate recognition emblem on the belt instead of on the shirt. It has been a few years since they used the belt emblem. You would think that bringing on a new training session, they would use new and current video footage.

Well, if your speaking of old/incorrect videos, there was a time when they were speaking about Varsity Scouting, and the first background video as part of this is showing Boy Scouts with the current uniform (olive green loops). A few seconds later they finally showed Varsity Scouts with orange/blaze loops.

The best part for me is that the first Venturer to speak, and she is the first female to speak, the 4th voice, was a Crew member of the Crew I used to serve. She is now the DE in the District I serve and it is indeed a tragedy when you try to raise them up right and then they go and turn to the darkside

It's missing a lot of the useful age-related info from "Ages and Stages", but more importantly, doesn't include a lot of references to G2SS.

Our Council trainers are going to include a some of this missing info with our Cub Leader specific sessions starting this fall.

And I gotta love computers - when I logged onto the system last week to check out "This is Scouting', it didn't show me as having had any of the other online courses, most of which I have taken (again) fairly recently. Good thing I saved printouts from when I took each of them.

OGE when a former scout or scouter turns professional the dark force is indeed strong and try as you might you can not please everyone or to put it another way you can not serve two masters. So the result is you either get frustrated and leave after some years or you give yourself over to the darkside and in 40 years become Chief Scout Executive aka the Sith Master, lol.

As far as the "This is Scouting" course I too agree that is a nice overview but lacks the in depth information a new leader should have starting out.

Not a bad presentation for introduction. Did note that there seems to be an error about when scouting began. They say BP started it in 1900; but we all should know that it began on Brownsea in 1907. Possibly just a script error that was missed of course.

While on the site, I reviewed, then watched a short presentation on the generations. Found it to be very enlightening and gave me some insight that had not necessarily occurred to me. I am sort of an overlap generation, technically, according to them, "mature", but really more of a "boomer". Guess being on the cusp will do that to you.