kittle,

Thanks for the additional input. I'm sure you will make the decision that works best for you. My advice for what it is worth (it and 10 cents will get you a cup of coffee) is to do the resource camp now and WB later. The boys need you more than you need WB. WB will roll around again soon enough.

Kudu,

Quit knocking our porch!!

Really!

No one camps on it.

Anyway, the donor that gave tons o' cash to Flint River Council told them if they didn't start using it, he was taking in back. Thus, our porch and the coolest playground I've been to in a long time.

Kittle,

I am on the other end of the child scale than you. As the father of four wonderful children (three girls 21, 18 and 18 and a boy 10) I can now see certain that your actual interaction with your children is very limited. The other evening my son came to sit on my lap to watch a TV program. While it was a little uncomfortable for me I knew that maybe even tomorrow he will never want to do that again. I am just now returning to Scouting after a nearly 30 year sabbatical. I think that I will give my son all the attention he requests. We are bridging to the same troop at his request. Wood Badge is calling me too but I can wait!

eagle1977,

My son (only child) turns 16 in 2 days. I really, really miss when my little buddy constantly used me for a chair and freely gave hugs and kisses. They grow up too quickly. It pays to enjoy each stage as much as possible.

• 1 month later...

Kittle --

I'll add my perspective as a childless 20+ year Scouter. There shouldn't even be a question in this matter -- go to resource camp with your son. Presumably we are in this activity for the boys, not our own egos. Yes, you may learn some things at Woodbadge that will make you a better scouter but more importantly, the boys in your troop (and your own son!) need you at resource camp. There will be other opportunities to do Woodbadge when your son is more independent, doing his own things -- there won't be nearly as many more opportunities where he ASKS you to participate in something with him.

Go with your son, as many have stated before the hours spent with your young man are worth more than money.

I have an 8 year old and he is fantastic, I wouldn't change anything, other than spend more time with him. He is finding his sense of humor, starting to tell jokes that are even funny. Doing the right thing even when he thinks I am not watching, Makes me smile.

Spend the time with your son, woodbadge will always be there.

Hello Kittle,

Another alternative

You go to Wood Badge

Your son goes (separately) to National Youth Leadership Training(NYLT).

You then have a remarkable shared body of knowledge.

Your call what you do but your "resource camp" isn't the only alternative available.

• 2 weeks later...

I took Wood Badge last year and I am so glad that I did. It is a course that every adult volunteer should take!

I took the one with two 3-day weekends. It allowed me to take only 2 days off from work instead of 5 days. Also, I got training reimbursement from my employer because Wood Badge is based on Dr. Ken Blanchard's leadership training materials. And I know many people in my area got reimbursement from their employers as well. So you might want to consider that if money is an issue.

Hope this helps.

I'm glad you approve.

When Leadership Development became a "Method of Scouting" in 1972, the first thing it did was cancel the specialized training course for Patrol Leaders.

Now the training course for Scoutmasters has cut the Patrol Leader out of the "Patrol Method" session entirely.

In a perfect world someone with solid fiscal conservative credentials would take a long, hard look at corporate leadership training as it is reflected in the loss of tens of thousands of dollars from his or her personal retirement account, and then decide to do some research:

Is the magical thinking in which you can strip a Patrol Leader of his six month position-specific training course and then remove any mention of him from his Scoutmaster's Patrol Method training session, unique to the Boy Scouts of America or is this style of leadership hype responsible for the corporate bankruptcy of the entire world?

Kudu

• 2 weeks later...

First I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts. My decision has been made for me and we aren't going to be able to do either. I fell and broke my leg and am therefor going to be off work and have no paycheck. My older son is going to summer camp because we have already paid for it and my middle son is going to go to summer camp if we can find the money for it. The deposit that I put down on Woodbadge is going to be transferred to my older son's Jamboree bill meaning a little less there that I am going to have to pay. Things don't always work how we want them, but they do work.

Sorry to hear about your leg and work situation kittle. You might want to talk to your DE -- sometimes there's an opportunity for adults to attend things like the resource camp for free if they will be instructors or on camp staff.