Or maybe a better question is what kind of stuff do you do for them? I'm thinking about the future and maybe taking WB at some point. I think my CM might want me to take over the pack (her DS has gone on to Boy Scouts).

But all the talk about "your ticket" and some poeple not finishing them has me worried. SO what do you DO for them? WHat ARE they really? WHY would I want to take WB at some point? What have people done in the past?

Can anyone help with this?

Diana

Not a WBer YET, but might be soon!

From "What is a Wood Badge Ticket" From the Wood Badge web site -

"A ticket is a contract between you and a member of the staff usually referred to as a Troop Guide or Ticket Counselor. This contract is your commitment to practice using the Leadership Skills taught at Wood Badge in the performance of your Scouting job."

"The purpose of a Wood Badge Ticket is to help you realize your personal vision of your role in Scouting. Ideally, you will write your ticket around your primary job in Scouting.

Parts of a Ticket

A Ticket Consists of Four Parts:

A list of your personal values

A description of your Scouting role or job

A statement of your vision of success

A mission composed of five significant goals that can be attained within 18 months."

http://www.woodbadge.org/WB21/wb21ticket.htm

Why would you want to take Wood Badge -

"As a result of attending Wood Badge, participants will be able to

View Scouting globally, as a family of interrelated, values-based programs that provide age-appropriate activities for youth.

Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in corporate America and leading government organizations that are relevant to our values-based movement.

Apply the skills they learn from their participation as a member of a successful working team.

Revitalize their commitment by sharing in an overall inspirational experience that helps provide Scouting with the leadership it needs to accomplish its mission on an ongoing basis."

For a humorous look at Wood Badge Tickets, check out this video by some of my council's crazy Training Staff Volunteers -

From "What is a Wood Badge Ticket" From the Wood Badge web site -

"A ticket is a contract between you and a member of the staff usually referred to as a Troop Guide or Ticket Counselor. This contract is your commitment to practice using the Leadership Skills taught at Wood Badge in the performance of your Scouting job."

"The purpose of a Wood Badge Ticket is to help you realize your personal vision of your role in Scouting. Ideally, you will write your ticket around your primary job in Scouting.

Parts of a Ticket

A Ticket Consists of Four Parts:

A list of your personal values

A description of your Scouting role or job

A statement of your vision of success

A mission composed of five significant goals that can be attained within 18 months."

http://www.woodbadge.org/WB21/wb21ticket.htm

Why would you want to take Wood Badge -

"As a result of attending Wood Badge, participants will be able to

View Scouting globally, as a family of interrelated, values-based programs that provide age-appropriate activities for youth.

Recognize the contemporary leadership concepts utilized in corporate America and leading government organizations that are relevant to our values-based movement.

Apply the skills they learn from their participation as a member of a successful working team.

Revitalize their commitment by sharing in an overall inspirational experience that helps provide Scouting with the leadership it needs to accomplish its mission on an ongoing basis."

For a humorous look at Wood Badge Tickets, check out this video by some of my council's crazy Training Staff Volunteers -

I had the exact same questions you are asking before I took Wood Badge. As I progressed through each of the days of the course, the answers to my questions were answered by the course content.

As you go through the course, you'll see ideal troops (packs) and you'll naturally think - hey, that is something we could do at our troop/pack. Jot it down - that could be a ticket item. You might get ideas / suggestions from other participants or staffers - jot them down. You might see ideas for how your adults interact and do - or don't do things. Write down your notes and observations and how it might possibly apply to your troop/pack.

Our course's list of things to bring to the WB course included "a small notebook." I still have my litte 20 cent notebook from Walmart. In it, I scribbled down ideas for possible ticket items as I went through the course. In the notebook are my ideas that became my ticket items. I whittled down my thoughts to five projects that were all a cohesive set of significant items that really did support my "personal vision of success."

As for finishing the ticket - you've got 18 months - as long as you keep pressing forward on your projects, you'll finish your ticket.

ScoutNut - That video is great - I just emailed it (again) to a Beaver friend of mine who is still working his ticket. He's got seven month left... He's on track. I'm email it to him every month or so now just to keep reminding him.

"Bring peace the to Middle East - not done!"

I used to be an Antelope, a good ole Antelope too...(This message has been edited by Knight)

Thanks, guys!

For some reason I could never get the WB website to work when I would try to look at it. Thanks for the link, Scoutnut. And thanks for your part, Knight! I have been really worried that I wouldn't be able to think of anything for my ticket when I got there but that helps alot (and the video helped too). I'm going to really think about doing this now.

Diana