In 1981, we elected them at the end of the course; it was an honor given by the patrol members to indicate who they felt was the best in their group. In our 21st Century course that I staffed as a guide, we did not have them do it. So, perhaps it is more of a local thing. My first course was the old one obviously, but it also was in a neighboring council. Surely there are other opinions and comments.

I was elected PPL of our Wood Badge patrol. I was told my responsibilities were to keep in contact with Patrol members, encourage all to complete tickets, and take custody of the Patrol flag. (which I still have)

Hmmm, I thought it was Real WoodBadge and WoodBadge for the New Guys.

It's kinda like Eagles that do projects and the pre-1965 Eagles that implied weren't as good because they didn't do projects.

I don't begrudge WB to anyone, but it sure would be nice if people would understand that WB and 30 years in the Scouting Program and WB and 2 years in the Scouting Program, where a quality program is not dependent on which WB it is.

Stosh

The first I heard of PPL was last Saturday when I got my beads. Someone asked who it was for my patrol and everyone around me (classmates from the course) all said "Huh?"

Our patrol flag hangs in the dining hall of the local Scout ranch. I got to point it out to my Scouts when we were there for camp. Then I pointed out the Buffalo patrol flag that had some Beaver in it due to a branding "accident". We had leather flags and after my Antelope buddy showed some initiative and branded his patrol's flag, others wanted to copy the idea, but that quickly stopped after the accident and the staff discovering the borrowed course brand. My patrol cut our flag into the shape of a beaver tail, so we had scrap pieces left over, and being a well prepared beaver, I had it on hand for the patch job.

Oh my. With appropriate respect, the sound you hear is the dinosaurs trumpeting.

Permanent patrol leaders were part of Scoutmaster's Wood Badge and part of Leadership Development Wood Badge. They were explicitly removed from 21st Century Wood Badge which became national in about 2001. I have never heard a good reason why.

In Leadership Development Wood Badge, the permanent patrol leader was supposed to set a good example by completing his/her ticket and encouraging and coordinating the other patrol members to do so. In the Scoutmaster's course, it was honorific. We also elected a permanent First Class Scout.

Again with appropriate respect, your course staff is violating the promise that the course director made at his/her course director's conference to run the course exactly as laid out in the course guide. That does not include permanent patrol leaders.

• 4 weeks later...

I had my course in 2007. As we only had 5 in our group, I did it twice (1st and last day) as no one else wanted to. I found out at the PLC meeting that I would be the PPL, but no duties. Our Patrol flag hangs in our Council's Boy Scout camp mess hall. They go way back.