I am getting ready to attend the NLE training for my position. THere are several training weekends in the next month.

I was just wondering, as Cubmaster, should I attend all levels of training for all den leaders after I have my specific training finished. Meaning, once I have NLE and CM Specific and Cub DL finished, would it be advisable for me to go and take the Tiger DL, and Webelos DL training.

For those of you that know already, I am double tapping jobs right now. Yes we are getting more people involved, but I still love the DL job. Working with the kids is fun.

So would the memebrs of the forum, (I know Lisa, GW, OGE, and some of the other senior forum members will chime in) suggest taking all levels of training. Maybe this will help some other leaders with their decisions.

P.S. Sorry, forgot to mention this training is for Cub Leaders.(This message has been edited by SctDad)

I think it depends a little on your pack. If you are the only adult who knows anything about cub scouting, if you're essentially the glue holding the pack together, then having a good understanding of Tigers and Webelos might be useful for you to ensure that those dens are functional.

But if you have any sort of competent assistance at all, then I have to agree with GW. Get the Tiger and Webelos DLs go to training for their positions! The CM's job isn't to micromanage the dens and so while you need a basic understanding of their programs (which you probably already have), you don't absolutely need the DL training. Univ of Scouting and Round Table will be more useful to you, and less time consuming too. A lot of councils do their UoS in late Oct/early Nov so start keeping an eye out for that.

(plus, watch out! people who suddenly show up for a bunch of trainings end up on the district training team! :) )

I can see your point Lisa.

Here is what we have going on right now.

I think that I missed the training yesterday. So that would leave three left to go to for right now.

I have the following positions filled:

CM - Myself

CC, Tiger DL

I have some other positions that are going to be filled soon (Hopefully) We added 15 new boys this week at round-up. So I am going to try to recruit some new leaders.

As for your comment on becoming a member of the district training team. I am thinking about helping to set up training for our county (Half of our district) so that our county can have a training program that is local and works for our local leaders. I have talked with some of the Local DE's and they said that they woould be willing to help get our two/three packs trained if we set up the time and date.

But first things first and get all of my leaders and myself trained before I worry about other packs. I know that helpful is part of the scout oath, but I need to be helpful to my own Cubs and make sure that they have the trained leaders that they deserve first.

Taking all the den leader trainings as well as CM may be more of a daunting task than you think due to the way the position specific trainings are done with the den level specific and CM and CC being run concurrently in different rooms. Far be it from me to discourage anyone from attending training but I think a CM should take some of the oddball stuff designed to keep things fun like skits, songs, and ceremonies class or cub scout science, or weather smart scouting. Course titles stolen from our Univ of Scouting catalog. You taking den leader training may indicate to the den leader that you lack confidence in them to do their job. Most of the specific trainings are very nuts and bolts oriented how and why of advancements etc.. A CM's main job is as MC of pack meetings and general cheerleader for the boys and for the den leaders.

The training continuum is designed so that each person in cubbuing can receive the basic information needed to do their role in the pack correctly. As a cubmaster you should be able to tale the New Leader Essentials course and the Cubmaster Job Specific course and be just fine. Within the Cubmaster course it explains your relationship and responsibiliteis to the Committee chair, the committee, the Den Leaders and the assitant Cubmasters.

There is no need to take their courses as well.

Scott,

I am currently serving in two positions. Cubmaster is one of them and Den Leader is the other. I understand that the Cubmaster MC's the Pack Meeting, but I am also serving as a DL for my Son's Den.

I was considering taking the other training levels so that I can say to the parents that are potential leaders what the training is and what they can lookfoward to.

That is why I am looking into taking the other training for all levels.

There are different Cub Scout Position specific Trainings for Tiger DL, Cub Scout (Wolf & Bear) DL, Webelos DL, Cubmaster & ACM, and Pack Committee. Since these are all run as breakouts at the same time, if you wanted to cover each one, you would have to register for 5 different training dates. Since one District does not usually have that many of the same kind of trainings one right after the other, you will be traveling all over your council, in a very short period of time.

If your council is offering 5 different dates for Cub Scout Specific Training, if you are able to register for each one (openings available), and, if you have the time available to devote to doing this, then the choice is entirely up to you. Extra training certainly will not hurt you. I would however get fully trained for your Cubmaster position FIRST.

If you decide to do this, you should plan on attending the training WITH the specific den's actual new leader. Offer to drive and bring the new leader along with you.

One word of warning - Do not use the training as a means to micro manage the dens. Do not use the trainings as an excuse to do ALL of the work yourself because you are the only one trained.

Work with your CC to get leaders for ALL of the dens, and then to get all of those leaders trained.

I don't know if everyone knows, but Cub Scout Training changed over the summer. There are now two modules that are done with all the Cub Leaders, Intro to Cub Scouting and How We Have Fun. Those two modules are 1.5 hours. The next 1.5 hours are the breakouts, there is one for Tiger Den Leaders, Cub Den Leaders, Webelos, Cubmaster, Pack Committee, and Pack Trainer. I'd encourage you to take the training for Cubmaster, your Den Leader position, and other positions you take on. The other you might want to pick up a copy of the syllabus and read it for a better understanding of how the program works. I wouldn't take 1.5 hours of each of the breakouts though, that would add up and take a lot of Saturdays. You could always do one or two a year though. It's also possible that your District might offer just the breakouts to target leaders that have already taken the common modules.