Wood Badge beads for NYLT staff

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so you're assuming I have a 2011 NYLT Draft Syllabus. I don't, and I'm going to guess that you do. Please quote for me something regarding a course director receiving a 4th bead. Then also address my second query: 3rd and 4th beads for the Philmont Challenge.

I thought them to be reasonable questions. I don't need to see it. I just want to know what it says.

Thank you,

BDPT00

BDPT00 - I don't have any info on the Philmont Leadership Chalange issue but I can give you the NYLT & NAYLE answer.

The 3d and 4th bead awards came in as a part of the 2009 course and, if my memory is correct, was announced during the fall 2008 course directors conferences. The announcement covered NYLT and NAYLE. The application for Wood Badge Recognition is obtained from BSA Headquarters, Volunteer Development Team and the Course Directors Pledge is found in the NYLT Syllabus on Appendix page 23.

NYLT Wood Badge Bead Requirements are found in the NYLT Staff Guide on page 10 and reads as follows:

In its early years, the Wood Badge was a training recognition used for more than one specific course. Recognizing that we are in the business of developing youth leaders, this recognition has been authorized for NYLT adult staff. Regions may authorize the awarding of Wood Badge beads for NYLT volunteers who have met the following requirements:

Three Beads for NYLT:

1. Course director of his or her course attended the Regional NYLT Course Director Conference within 12 months of the course.

2. Completed a Wood Badge for the 21st Century course and earned beads.

3. Attended a Trainers Edge course within three years of the NYLT course.

4. Staffed an NYLT course as a course director or assistant course director.

Four Beads for NYLT

1. Served as a troop guide for a Wood Badge for the 21st Century course.

2. Completed a Regional NYLT Course Director Conference in its entirety within 12 months of NYLT service as course director.

3. Attended a Trainers Edge course within three years of the NYLT course.

4. Served as a course director for an NYLT course.

There is NO exception for previous service or CDC attendance.

In order to permit the third bead recognition for the rest of his or her staff, the NYLT course must be qualified/certified by the course director attending the NYLT Course Director Conference, must adhere to national standards, and must follow the syllabus in its entirety. The recognition, as in Wood Badge, assumes full service (all days) on the course and participation in the required course staff development sessions. Staff who only show up for a portion of a course do not warrant beads.

Certificates for both 3 and 4 beads became available last November.

Yeah but if BSA says we have to have it then we have to have it. I have been in the army 19 years and have seen everything more then once that was coved by Edge and TDC as a recruiter and officer. Look at it more for the fellowship

Thanks for the clarification, ideadoc. That makes sense. I can't agree (yet) that Venturers in NYLT makes sense, but your response does. I'll let you know if it ever becomes clear to me.

BDPT00

Good training is good training. I take my venturers to everything I can. Even sea scou training which they love. I would encourage boy scouts to go to Kodiak. All programs have good thing thatvwe all can learn from.

"I would encourage boy scouts to go to Kodiak."

Well, the thing is that unlike TLT, NYLT, and NAYLE, ALL of the Venturing leadership training courses (VLSC, Kodiak, Kodiak-X) were designed to be program neutral from the getgo. When I went to the 2nd or 3rd Kodiak/Kodiak-X CDC, they spoke of presenting Kodiak to Boy Scouts, church youth groups, etc.

If Venturing leadership training includes VLSC, Kodiak, and Kodiak-X, why is there a need to rewrite the NYLT syllabus so that they can attend that too? I don't see how removing the patrol method will benefit Boy Scouts. There must be a positive twist to this somewhere. What is it?

BDPT00