Ok... just finished the first weekend of my Wood Badge course and had a BLAST. My patrol struggled a little with a good Buffalo cheer/yell. Part of it is that Buffaloes roam and grunt for a natural sound. We ended up landing in Ta-Tonka (from Dancing with Wolves) but it just doesn't seem right. I am tasked with coming up with some other alternates before the second weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions? sources of historic yells? Past experience?

Help...

Thanks. Brian

Our patrol yell was also "Ta-Tonka!" We also put our fingers up to our heads like horns. I made many good friends with whom I still maintain close contact. Our course was nearly 3 years ago, and we still greet one another with "ta-tonka!" before we shake hands or hug. It is as familiar to me as a warm, well fitting glove.

I am pleased to see that others have made the same connection we did. When you disect it, and really look at the meaning, I cannot think of a more perfect patrol yell; after all, "ta-tonka" is Sioux for "buffalo."

I just got back from staffing weekend 1 of our council course and what the Buffalo patrol came up with was "Yaba Daba Doo!" in honor of Fred Flintstone being a member of the Order of Water Buffalo. At the last course they used Tatonka.

My patrol was the "Blazing White Buffalos" and for our yell we did the horns up from the Buffalo Dance - chh, chh, then a loud "B-W-B!!!!" We also performed the Buffalo Dance several times throughout the course.

One of my patrol mates found a great painting of a white buffalo standing in the snow with his breath steaming out and we put that onto the backs of our course t-shirts using an iron-on decal. I had a graphic designer friend overlay our individual totems in the lower right corner. The staff thought that was pretty cool.

We also cut out our totem on synth-board and hung it in our patrol kitchen area.

The Bobwhite Patrol made really cool hiking staffs and presented one to our SPL who was a good ol' Bobwhite too.

John Collins

Cubmaster

Pack 13

Shenandoah Area Council

I used to be a Buffalo, and a good ol' Buffalo too...

SR-893