OGE,

Because there are kids who like to play soccer & wanna be Scouts? No wait! Because there are kids who are Scouts who wanna play soccer? Wait! So the BSA could put BSA logos on soccer balls? Man I don't know!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting statement. I would bet if you asked anyone at National if the BSA was a white middle-class organization, they would tell you "no, it never has been." And for those who think this, yup you need diversity!

Interesting statement as well. If the BSA is such a diverse and all-inclusive group, why create such programs such as ScoutReach, Asian American Emphasis, Hispanci/latino Emphasis and African-American Emphasis? Could it be that the BSA realized that it wasn't reaching those particular groups of young men and wanted to reach out and make an effort to include them? Scoutreach materials even mention that hispanics view Scouting as an organization for wealthier people. Diversity and inclusiveness will vary by Council; however comparing Councils would yield a large difference on membership backgrounds.

(This message has been edited by Tokala)

"While I agree we need to see the entire world, I feel this can be done without the BSA having a CYA program like diversity training. Heck, diversity is all around us! If we follow the Oath & Law diversity is a non-issue!"

I'd ordinarily be one of the first to complain about undue PC-ness, but I really don't think this is the case with either the WB ticket requirement or BSA's outreach interests.

I also think following the Oath and Law is necessary, but not sufficient, to make diversity a non-issue. Our error is one of omission, not of comission. I hang out with a bunch of white protestant guys at scout functions, at the church I attend, on the various boards and committees on which I serve, and at my place of employment. That doesn't make me a racist, but it doesn't lend itself to diversity, either, since we're largely the ones involved in scouting.

Getting out of our comfort zone can be good for us. It just happens that our WB tickets can be one of the things that push us to try.