When did you first take Scout leader training.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SM Fundamentals

Wood Badge

Cub Fundamentals

Webelos Fundamentals

Webelos Overnight

Venturing Fundamentals

University of Scouting Bachelors

University of Scouting Masters

In that order from 1993-1999

Various cub scout leader training between 1989 and 1991. Began boy scout leader training subsequent to that.

Scoutmaster fundamentals 1992

New Leader Essentials and Position specific for scoutmaster 2001

Basic Commissioner training around 2003

Other advanced outdoor training unique to our council

Cub Scout courses in 2005.

Boy Scout courses in 2007.

NLS in 1981.

Problem with this topic as you've presented it Bob is that some have done exactly as you have suggested and actually read the material presented inthe specific program handbooks. As a youth I read as many different copies of both the Scout Handbook, starting with the 1945 printing forward and the Scoutmaster HB in addition the Cornerstone guide and the Leadership Corps pamplet. Not to mention years of Boy's life and of course Boy's life reprints. That learning habit has continued to this day, except for the intermittent years that I was away from Scouting. The foundation of Scouting has not changed in this time. The Scout Oath and Law. Although the ideals are only one of the methods the bulk of the BSA programs would be nearly pointless without it.

I said I was new to all this in previous postings.

Cub Scout FastStart Aug2007

Youth Protection Aug2007

Faststart Pack Committee Aug2007

FastStart Cubmaster Aug 2007

BB & Archery Instructor Sept2007

CSLST - Tiger Den Leader Sept2007

Staffing the District Committee Oct07

Safe Swim Defense Oct07

Safety Afloat Oct07

Weather Hazards April08

BALOO April08

Scheduled for our Commissioner Conference on Saturday where I understand I can complete the Basic Training (Assoc. Degree in Comm. Science??)

Gotta LOVE the online courses. Best training, both most fun and best information and use of time/resources, was the BB& Archery training without any doubt - folks knew their stuff, made it fun, and taught us well. Worst training - BALOO - wasted time, review of other courses content, limited hands on, activities more appropriate for the den, etc. Most efficient training - the online courses. Generally good content, engaging presentation, reasonably solid questions.

My main recommendation - put all course registration online in the national database if you are going to require 100% trained so that the trained person can a) review what is recorded, b) add training with unique identifiers from the course, and c) print out an official list as needed. As a corollary to that - put as many courses as possible online thereby increasing access, uniformity of content, and decreasing the burden on volunteers. I realize that many courses have to have a hands on component. However, there are plenty that do not require any hands on component. Figure out which fall in each category and then put ALL the ones that require no hands on online. Next, if a course has academic material that should be reviewed/mastered prior to the hands on then have the academic portion online so that it can be completed PRIOR to the hands on part.

Just some thoughts from someone new to this who has spent a lifetime being trained and training others across several professions and modes of training.

Docwrm,

BALOO was the best part of the Cub Scout training I did. We did lots of hands-on type learning. I actually took BALOO twice and am glad I did - both courses offered different ideas and great ways to make Cub Scout camping better.

However, my wife took a BALOO course and her course was like what you described. The two BALOO courses I did were both at Boy Scout camps; my wife's was at a local church. I think doing BALOO at a camp really adds to the course.

I feel the same way about Wood Badge. I've seen online pictures of quite a few courses where it appears the course is held at a local school. I feel fortunate that my Wood Badge course was held at our Boy Scout camp. Much of my Wood Badge course was held outdoors, including many of our classroom settings. When we were indoors, it was at the camp dining hall. The frequent use of outdoor, camp settings definitely kept my focus on camping and the outdoors.

Knight wrote:

BALOO was the best part of the Cub Scout training I did. We did lots of hands-on type learning. I actually took BALOO twice and am glad I did - both courses offered different ideas and great ways to make Cub Scout camping better.

However, my wife took a BALOO course and her course was like what you described. The two BALOO courses I did were both at Boy Scout camps; my wife's was at a local church. I think doing BALOO at a camp really adds to the course.

I feel the same way about Wood Badge. I've seen online pictures of quite a few courses where it appears the course is held at a local school. I feel fortunate that my Wood Badge course was held at our Boy Scout camp. Much of my Wood Badge course was held outdoors, including many of our classroom settings. When we were indoors, it was at the camp dining hall. The frequent use of outdoor, camp settings definitely kept my focus on camping and the outdoors.

Many in my Pack have said the same thing. The BALOO that is done by District is consistently reported to be among the best trainings anyone has taken - the one from Council is the version I took. I tried to tell the Council Training Chair, who stopped by, that at the halfway point we had covered only things that a trained leader was already required to have had and had basically wasted half my Saturday. We ended up with 15 minutes for each of the 3 hands-on instructors (literally 15 min each). I felt terrible for the volunteer instructors: one had brought all his cooking materials, gotten there before the break of dawn, set up, cooked for us, and then had 15 minutes to try to tell us about how to cook while camping out and the other had brought all his personal camping gear, set up tents to try to tell us the differences, his different sleeping bags, lanterns, etc., etc. and he had 15 minutes to try to convey meaningful information. BTW, the Cooking guy was the same one that taught my Archery course which was TERRIFIC. If he had been allowed to teach the entire BALOO I am certain it would have been radically better.

My plan is to take it at the next opportunity at District level as while I am technically "approved" to be the BALOO leader on a Pack outing I have NO actual skill acquired nor knowledge that I feel I can rely upon from my "training".

BALOO is the kind of course that I meant when I said that what can be taught academically should ALL be put online in order to standardize it, make its presentation as efficient as possible, and minimize the fiddle-faddle for the volunteers. Then, once you have passed that portion you take the hands-on - or practicum - portion in person with folks that know what they are doing.(This message has been edited by docrwm)

CLD 1, 2, 3, & 4 Oct 83

Webelos Outdoor Experience 83

Cub Scout Leadership 91

Cub Scout Day Camp Program Director (NCS) 91

BSA Fundamentals 95

CLBT 08

Baloo 08

Resident Camp Program Director 08

Also in 08 I hope to be taking Woodbadge, Resident Camp Program Director (NCS), and any training I can get on being a Unit commissioner (assigned last Saturday).

Rick

Basic Leader training in 1984 when I became a Den Leader.

I had been a Tiger Cub Leader in 1983 but back then it was so new you didn't train for Tiger Cubs as no one seemed to have any idea what to do with them. They didn't even go to pack meetings. Just jump in and learn as you go.

By 1995 they sent me to National Camping school.

They are the two I remember the most. Looks like I am the old lady of the group.

Starts tonight (weekend training: New Leader Essentials, Position-Specific Training, and Outdoor Skills), and I'm pretty excited about it, after months of waiting.

Woodbadge is next offered in the council a year from now, and I'll probably be signing up for that.