When did you first take Scout leader training.

Ed,

Well, since BW didn't understand that my training is old enough that I think I need to review it at the most basic level, ...

I don't think he understands that training is a perishable commodity, even when used. Sooner or later in any endeavor the process, the materials, or the equipment changes to such a point that updates are insufficient.

I've reached that point in one program, and I trained in it less than 10 years ago.

That's why I didn't specify a date. "I've been trained for 32 (2008-1976) years" is not a badge to be worn self-righteously. Better to ask "how can I serve the youth better?" in a quiet room.

Something about not letting the left hand know what the right is doing...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cub Scout - 1998

Boy Scout - 2002

John, I don't agree with you entirely. I learned to drive about 30 years ago. I don't need to repeat basic driver's ed. About 20 years ago, I took more than 10 intensive high performance driver's school. Those could stand repeating because I haven't been on a track in a decade.

Usage keeps skills fresh. Additional training enhances those skills.

Other training that I don't need to repeat:

Basic Marksmanship

Touch typing

Water boiling

Arithmetic

2003 - Web2 Leader + all the other 1st time stuff

2004 - Cubmaster

By the way, GW - doesn't matter how long they've been driving, folks in the Atlanta area could benefit from taking Drivers Ed ANNUALLY. And just to clarify, that goes for both native Atlantans and transplanted Yankees.

NC

Within certain limits.

A year ago, I rented a car with a manual transmission. I'd had several stick shifts before, even one as recently as two years ago. Once I'd learned stick, I thought, I'd just have to adapt to a cars peculiarities. 10-15 minutes learning curve.

This one, something wasn't connecting. I had to go all the way back to basics ... a couple hours in a parking lot with someone watching me, until I got a smooth hang of it.

Sometimes it's useful to go back to the basics.

But that's ok, part of it depends on the type of learner you are. For me, the type of learner I am requires some gut-check reinforcement now and again.

John, I do not disagree that education is a continuing process and that athose who lead should not cease to learn.

And that is a great topic for ANOTHER thread. What I want to find out in THIS thread, is when did people START the training process as a unit leader, and to have a better idea of the era of the information that they began with.

I want to know who has experienced which version of training so that we can talk about some of the changes with the people who actually attended those courses and did not form an opinion simply from what they heard of those courses or imagined them to be based on one or two verses from a Scoutmasters handbook of that time.

There is no point for instance for someone to ask you of the differnece between Cornerstone Training and The Scoutmaster Fundamentals, if you were not a participant in them.

Kudu maintains that the Patrol Method was not taught ofter 1972. I know for a fact after having taken Cornerstone in 76, SLT in 77, and then SMBLT, and then Scoutmaster Fundamentals after that,....and Scoutmaster Leader Specific training after that, that Kudu is absolutely wrong. What would be interesting to find out is when did KUDU take his first Scoutmaster training course.

So that led me to wonder about when did others begin to take their basic traing so we could talk about the difference with those who actually took the course.

So John...If you would be so kind....would you please share with us what year you first take basic training as a unit leader and in what programs.

Thanks

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

No, thank you. As I said, long enough ago that I feel I should re-take a certain program. I have my own learning pace, cadence, and retention. Mine is different from yours and from anyone else's.

I will say that in other threads I've publicly posted I used to be an Owl in C-40-05. That implies I returned to Scouting as an adult some years before that.

My opinion on retraining is this: if you haven't used it in a while, you need to retrain. Also if you've gone through an older training program, serve on training staff of the newer program to see what the new stuff is about. Also it is a great benefit for new leaders to have someone whose "been there, done that, got the knot" serve as a mentor.

Since it's been 10 years since I went through CSBLT and I haven't really used it directly, I plan to go through some of the CS courses this year, and probably be on staff for a few of them since I find out Thursday who the new CS trainer will be. Hopefully I won't be volunteered again. Also I took SMF in 1992, and to keep up to date taught NLE, FS, SM Specific, and IOLS.

Sorry John, What I supposed would have been referred to as NLE after 2002 and was for new scout leaders at the time...the name it was called doesnt readily come to memory...any other items you care to nit-pick me for? Or is correcting errors on others posts your main purpose here?

Hey Bob, your making me feel old!

I took the training's that were available and needed at that time in the UK,ending with Wood Badge back in 1974.

I moved to the USA in 1984 and have since then taken most adult leader training's.

I have also been involved in presenting a good many.

As yet I have not taken Sea Badge.

I have heard reports that vary a lot about Sea Badge. Some people who have attended say it's just a wonderful course, while others are not so thrilled about it.

Of course the only way I'll really find out is to go and find out for myself.

Eamonn.

As a Scout JLT and SPL training in 1979 or 80.

Whatever they called the Scoutmaster training in 1990 after I finished college... I think it was two or three classes.

Then took a break from Scouting to serve in Gulf War, start a family and get career going. Since returning in 2000 have taken the full composition of SM leader training offered, among many others.