Ursus writes:

always been proud of just wearing the only knot that mattered my Eagle

So reluctantly I added a few more knots on my shirt, but still think theres still only one that really matters.

Ursus, I salute your achievement and the effort you put in to get there. Unfortunately my own scouting career was brief and I got nowhere near Eagle. Now that Ive become re-engaged with scouting with my sons I have come to regret that I did not have the self-discipline or encouragement to stick with scouting and perhaps achieve Eagle. So there will never be any Eagle knot for me and Im sure there are many other scouters out there in the same boat.

While you certainly have reason to be proud your comments strike me as a little elitist, which Im sure you didnt intend. In my mind any knot legitimately earned in the service of scouts and scouting really matters.

Ive followed the discussion on tenure and all Ill say its unfortunate that the rules do not reflect many of the real world situations out there. I will serve dual positions in my Pack (Den Leader, Assistant Cubmaster, and perhaps Cubmaster). If I choose to pursue the Den Leader knots and then move on with my scout to the Troop (oldest son has already moved on) I may never have the opportunity to earn the Assistant Cubmaster or Cubmaster knots.

Im not going to argue about the requirements they are what they are. Its not going to stop me from doing these very worthwhile, fulfilling jobs. Its just unfortunate, thats all.

YIS

Mike

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Monday morning DYB, after a wonderful weekend of Scouting fellowship at our fall ordeal I am very happy to see your response. While I can see that my post may have come across a little snobby, you are right, that wasnt the intention. The point was that we leaders can be a stubborn bunch, and part of that rotates around our roles in teaching and guiding young men in the daily applications of the Oath and Laws. It is also about the fact that sometimes we forget that were setting an example at all times for people all around us in our daily lives, our Scouts, those from other units, and our fellow Scouters. I too have regrets that I didnt have better regard for the advice I was given about getting more involved in OA and working on camp staff. But so be it, live is full of regrets that you cant keep beating yourself up over.

If my wearing one or more knots assists in setting a better example than I can without, then thats easily done. If wearing them assists in showing over and over to Scouts and adults, the differences between the knots, then you bet I will. Using the knots to show myself to be any better than any other adult leader that lacks those awards, quite frankly, isnt a real concern but certainly isnt a motive (some units use it in recruiting efforts). If wearing knots can reinforce to Scouts and parents that the Eagle certainly does mean something more than another line on a resume, that it becomes a part of your person, then goal accomplished. I like to think I am one of millions that are a living, breathing example of such. If those knots encourage one Scout to ask me to explain them, then its an opportunity that wouldnt be had otherwise. Simply put, its about showing the example to the boys, not us showing each other up.