Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders

Hello all,

Has anyone attended or helped put on a Outdoor Leaders Skills for Webelos Leaders class. I am the training committee chair for a district here in New Mexico and we want to hold a class at the same time as IOLS so the Webelo Leaders can meet the Scouters. But I can not find anything on the training requirments for the Webelo class. Any help would be great.

YiS,

Jeff

We have combined parts of OLSWL & IOLS, & kept other parts separate. It worked rather well. Actually, when we have BALOO, OLSWL, & IOLS all running at the same place, we have combined the food prep and lunch segments for all 3 courses.

If your Scout Shop does not carry the OLSWL syllabus, contact National Supply. The contact info is on ScoutStuff.org.

The biggest problem we have with the Webelos Outdoor training is getting folks to take it. Since it is not mandatory, few people will take the course. It is truly sad, how many of the courses we have had to cancel due to lask of participants.

We've offered this course for three years. This year we're ramping up to twice a year. The syllabus for this course is not available from National Supply, AFAIK. It was supplied to me as a BIN item. I *believe* it is available for professionals to order from the National Council or to download from MyBSA (that's the intranet for the professional staff). The BIN item number is 13-33640.

Someone at your council office should be able to order the syllabus for you.

The format for the the training which is concurrent with IOLS keeps the Webelos Leaders with the Boy Scout leaders for 20 minutes of several of the sessions (knots, woods tools, etc.) then the Webelos leaders are pulled out and instructed about the Webelos aspects of those topics. There are other sessions which are totally separate from the Boy Scout leaders.

I'm going to PM you with more info.

Welcome to the forums, firequencher!

I'm not sure what you mean when you write: "I can not find anything on the training requirments for the Webelo class."

The training requirements are in the OLS-WL syllabus. Didn't the previous training chair have a copy of that syllabus? If so, he or she should've turned it over to you.

If they didn't have a copy, then your DE or District Chairman should get you one.