Well, speaking from a recent spate of NCSs in our Region...

Scout Executives were asked to assemble staffs for the trainings. The trainings were to be held at local summer camps with adequate facilities for the curriculum given (ie. waterfront for the aquatics training, rifle range for the shooting sports training, etc) The summer camp we were to use was not one of our council's camps. I'm not sure if this is by design or not. The staff I was asked to be on through our SE was made up of council trainers, executive board members with specific expertise, and the like.

Talk to your Council's training chairman. Let them know you're interested. Make yourself available for other trainings. I've looked through the two huge tomes I was given for program and there's nothing in there about staffing the course. I'm sure that's in an even bigger binder.

Good luck.

SctDad,

National Camp School is a Regional training, you can apply to it but your application needs to be OKed by your SE. I may be incorrect, but I believe you must have a secured position, or a bonifide reason, to attend the NCS session in order for your application to be approved.

Generally NCS is held in the Spring months leading up to Summer Camp season. Applications are available on your Regional website. As an example, here's the url for the Western Region NCS site. http://www.wrbsa.org/program/ncs/

I had a friend who wanted to be certified for BB guns for use at Cub Day camp. he got his wish when he was asked to attend NCS for range officer. Now he gets asked to run multiple day camps in several districts in our council. I guess he got what he asked for...ha!

SctDad- building off what kb6jra said, the purpose of NCS is to training those who will be camp directors for boy scout and cub scout camps. For councils to run approved Boy Scout Resident Camps (ie Summer Camps) or Cub Scout Day Camp, they must have people who have attended various training at NCS in areas such as aquatics, shooting sports, heath/safety, camping, etc.

NCS is NOT for the rank and file. For better or worse, info on NCS isn't really well known. But if your council leadership has selected you to be a camp director, you will be given info.

Not sure what you're looking for, but if you are looking for training beyond what you get within your council, you're probably better off check out what is offered at the Philmont Training Center. That training is known and available from the National website, and many of the courses ARE aimed at unit-level people. You just have to get approved by your local council, which should be easy.

I have never attended or staffed a Nat. Camp School where they didn't give out the roster of both the attendees and faculty. Contact the Aquatics section leader and whoever the camp director was. Sometimes the CD is a person from the regional office and sometimes a local council exec is "recruited" to be the CD. They try to have a mix of old and new staff folks at these things

For those of you interested to see the different National Camp School courses and the entire US schedule go the Southern regions website. Look under Links I think. They are the only region that lists all that info. There are 4 regions but the 3 that have websites differ greatly in quality - the Southern region's is most helpful. My area, Central, does not have a website.