Is Wood Badge just about "the beads"?

Desertrat77 writes:

Some of us learned "Confidence, Leadership skill, communication skills" outside of WB.

"Confidence, leadership, and communication" is code for "no real content," like the corporate business manager skills that sold the world $7.36 trillion dollars worth of fake assets.

Of course Wood Badge is just about the beads. If it wasn't they could teach their indoor CEO theory at the University of Scouting. Heck, I'd even be willing to call U of S "confidence" experts "Doctor" if Wood Badge Beads once again stood for real outdoor Patrol Leadership skills.

Kudu

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear my beads all the time when in uniform. I worked very hard to earn them, and the Pack showed big improvements as a result of my ticket (if I do say so myself).

I was very fortunate to serve on staff in Summer 2008 under a CD who is the most dedicated Scouter I know. For starters, he served on staff when my dad took WB back in 1975. That was the first of 13 staff experiences he would have. This CD has been a SM for 34 years, even though he never had a son in Scouting (he does have a daughter). In 34 years as a SM, he has missed one Troop camping trip, which happened to be the month his daughter was born.

So, that type of committment is what I think of when I see WB beads. This CD has attended and staffed both the old course and the new course. He doesn't complain about one, or try to compare the two. He sees the positives in the course, and is willing to devote many days to putting on the best course possible. I know several other SMs with over 30 years of service, and everyone of them have been through WB. It is hard for me to be negative about a course that has helped produce such dedicated Scouters.

MRCTroop340,

You are incorrect about 21st Century WB not being required. Here is what the 2010 Council Jamboree Guide from national says:

Unit Leader Qualifications

Scoutmaster

Have served as a Scoutmaster for at least one year during

the three-year period prior to July 1, 2010.

Completed basic Scoutmaster training or Boy Scout Fast

Start and Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader

Specific Training, No. 34879.

Completion of Wood Badge for the 21st Century.

Be able to serve as a role model of physical fitness. Have

participated in the prejamboree training experience.

Have filed a Jamboree Personal Health and Medical

Record, Class 3, No. 67-34412, before the prejamboree

training with the council jamboree committee.

Complete the 60-minute Youth Protection Training.

Be approved by the local council.

Although not required, Scouters Key is a desirable

qualification.(This message has been edited by sr540beaver)

• 2 months later...

Im a tradesman by profesion ,sitting in that class room the first week I thought when am I ever going to use any of this . when I got back to the job after Wood badge I reliesed how much this actually helped me in my job . the second weelend what can I say awsome . then came the ticket ,worked my rear off started some new programs that worked really well for the council. liked the plaid neckerchief more then the Wood badge neckerchief ,thought I would wear the first scarf rather then the Dove grey scarf(looks more like tan to me) . went thru the ceromony ,(was very uncomfortable standing there while people talked about what a great person I was and how hard I worked ) now I wear my dove grey scarf with my beads whenever I have my uniform on ,not because im trying to show off or rub it in ,its just reminds me of all the hard work and time I put into it ,and it gives me a little motivation aqand sense of pride to know these were earned not just given to me . It wasnt about the beads for me and I dont think im better then everyone else ,but have to admit it does frustrate me when you try to get people to do the training ,and they say their going to do it but when the time come its always next time ( not talking about advanced training ,talking about baloo owl leader specific traing)

• 3 weeks later...

Patrol, Beads, Woggle, Neckerchief are just "things". They have a purpose, a history, a shared camaraderie, and are perfectly acceptable things to be proud of receiving for a person's effort.

And while a few people cant see the forest for the trees, most do. Most recognize that they items are one facet of team building used in the course.

The uniform makes for brotherhood, since when universally adopted it covers up all differences of class and country. -- Sir Robert Baden Powell

Through the wood badge journey participants experience every level of scouting, as the wood badger advances through the course they move from being a cub scout and getting more directed leadership to a boy scout, venturer etc. these changes coincide with the burgeoning patrol dynamic and the patrols work more and more on their own in-between courses.

BP also said:

An individual step in character training is to put responsibility on the individual.

And this is what happens in the wood badge progression. Patrols work together to accomplish goals, cook, camp, etc. Bearing in mind that Wood Badge is the pinnacle of training, most people come to the course with a mastery of the basics that so many people bemoan not having in the new wood badge course.

Just my thoughts.

As other folks noted, I have seen Woodbadgers who were strictly in it for the beads. We had 2 in our troop and this turned me off to the course for some time.

I recently took over as SM of our troop after 8 years as an ASM. Our Asst SE highly recommended it and my wife actually encouraged me to give it a try.

I went in with an open mind and decided that I would get out of the course what I put into it. I just completed the 1st 3 day weekend and I can't wait to go back for the rest.

If there is anyone out there who's on the fence about going, give it a shot. You and the boys you serve will be better for it.

"I'm gonna work my ticket if I can"

• 10 months later...

The bottom line in ALL of our training should be, All about the boys! (unless a venture guide... then subtitute youth) Our best reward is not wood, cloth, paper, or stone... it's seeing one of our youth move on, better prepared to meet the world!

Unit Leader Qualifications

Scoutmaster

Have served as a Scoutmaster for at least one year during

the three-year period prior to July 1, 2010.

Completed basic Scoutmaster training or Boy Scout Fast

Start and Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader

Specific Training, No. 34879.

Completion of Wood Badge for the 21st Century.

Be able to serve as a role model of physical fitness. Have

participated in the prejamboree training experience.

Have filed a Jamboree Personal Health and Medical

Record, Class 3, No. 67-34412, before the prejamboree

training with the council jamboree committee.

Complete the 60-minute Youth Protection Training.

Be approved by the local council.

Although not required, Scouters Key is a desirable

qualification.

Then there are those who have worthless beads. I meet every requirement listed above including the Scouter's Key but my beads are pre-21st. Century so I don't qualify. :)

I have Cub, Webelos and Venturing training too. But my beads are useless.

I'm working on a doctorate for U of Scouting, but my beads are useless.

The council came to me and asked to to apply for the Jamboree contingent, but I couldn't be the SM because my beads are useless.

I don't get asked to serve on WB staff because my beads are useless.

It never used to be, but it no longer is just about the beads because some beads are useless. :(

Obviously there must be something different about the new program so as to make the new beads better than the old ones, but I've never really taken the time to check this all out. I'm assuming the new 21st program is majorly a big deal in the changes or everyone wouldn't go to such great lengths to make sure everyone knows how much more important 21st beads are and how they are so much better than the old ones.

I always stand in awe when I see these new beads.... Would someone tell me again how one can tell the difference? Maybe someone should paint them gold or something because they kinda look like the old ones. It must be my failing eyes or something. It sure is helpful with everyone telling me how much better the 21st's are because I wouldn't be able to tell on my own.

Oh, did I mention that my beads aren't as good as the new ones?

Stosh

21st Century Woodbadge is not about scouting skills. I know, even the Wood Bage websit states - It is first and foremost, learning by doing. The members of the course are formed into patrols and these into a troop. The entire troop lives in the out-of-doors for a week, camping, cooking their own meals, and practicing Scout skills.

It is more of a leadership concepts course and a vehicle to simply boost one's Scout Spirit. Heck, it closely resembles some of the corporate leadership training courses because they utilize the same sources/authors.

Some get a lot out of the training, others, very little.

I give the BSA credit for trying to devise a course for adults that range from high school drop outs to those with advanced college degrees.

Just like a college degree, the Wood Badge beads can mean a lot or very little depending on the person that they were awarded to.

But also, like a degree, the beads give one a modicum of "noticability" that open doors. However, just like there are quite a few college grads that lack common sense and knowledge, there are WB bead wearers who just "don't get it" so to speak.

If you are contemplating taking the course, my suggestion is to go for it. It may not provide a great benefit (but then again it may) but rarely does it do any harm.

How many people would sit through the leadership course if no beads were involved? My guess is very few. I also guess National knows this and that is why the beads are now attached to a leadership course rather than a Scoutcraft and Patrol Method course as BP intended.

Amen to DeaconLance's simple statement of truth.

To those who are contemplating taking the course, my suggestion is to wait until the "Wood Badge for the Second Decade of the 21st Century" (WB-21-2) course is offered. That way your Beads will not be rendered worthless when the next corporate leadership fad is introduced.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

No grandfather clause in the "new revised and a lot better" WB program. Of course if one wishes to go through it all over again, they'd be happy to take your money.

On the other hand, the one nice thing about this new approach is that they no longer ask me to teach any of the fundamental type programs, I don't get asked for U of Scouting, and of course I would never be considered for teaching WB.

It did kind of surprise me they wanted me on the Jamboree contingent. Both youth SM's for the two council contingents are both products of my work in scouting.

When all is said and done, I don't get asked to do any district or council leadership thingies, so it frees me up to spend all my scouting time and experience working directly with the kids, exactly where I want to be.... :) Maybe those old beads are good for something after all.... !

Stosh

Was it Darth Vader who said those immortal words "The Cycle is Complete", or was it Emperor Palpatine. I forget

I was in the first Wood Badge for the 21rst Century course my home council did. For 3-5 years afterwards, I was told my beads were inferior, that I sucked out as a scout leader because I didn't take the "real Wood Badge" and that no matter what I did, I could never ever expect to live up to those who had taken the "Correct Course"

And now we have the situation that Stosh is in, where he feels his beads are being devalued. When talk in an organization whose mission is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral decisions over their lifetime centers around whose adult training Mountain Top experience is "best", it may be time to take a step back, take in a deep breath and punt.

I think Wood Badge should take up the pre-1972 Curriculum, the one Kudu advocates and the current 21rst Century curriculum can become the Ernest Thompson Seton award. Rather than wooden beads, graduates of the course would wear tiny flash drives on leather thongs around their neck

Fighting over whose Wood Badge is best is counter productive