The adults in my troop had an interesting discussion tonight. In our troop, we have more than enough tents to put two Scouts per tent. We use the Eureka Timberline 4 man tents (they vary in age from 3-14 years). One of the dads was upset because I told his son this past weekend that he couldn't use his own tent and that he needed to use the troop one. The Scout doesn't like how he can't stand up in the Eureka tents.

Our troop tents aren't brand new, but they are in solid shape. My feeling is that if the troop has enough tents, then the Scouts should all use the troop tents. Could you please give me some feedback on what other troops do about this. I've heard it go both ways. Most troops use troop tents, but I've seen a couple troops that were in money areas where everyone brought their own tent.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do the same thing. I have had Scouts ask if they could bring their own tents & told them "No". My reasons are we have enough tents. Also, I don't want the Troop held liable if something happens to the Scout's personal tent.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

TRoop 1

1 Peter 4:10

We have made a commitment to buy enough tents for the whole troop. If a scout wants to bring his tent on a camping trip...thats fine. I do state that if it is some type of extra large multi room grand um..pa..pa that they leave it at home and use it outside of camping with the troop. I do like to see continuity in how we set up. I also point out if you bring your own tent...if something happens to it the tropp will not be responsible for damages. That goes for if the scout has another troop member sleep with him in his personal tent. For the most part we let them do it...all have chosen not too. If we are going on a camporee or multi troop funciton...we all look alike as much as possible. I agree with you try to get them to use the troop tents and save theirs...I do try to let them get it out of their system, which usually only takes a couple of camping trips. Our scouts want to use their troop tents because they helped raise the money to buy them. Good luck

We also have enough tents for the whole Troop but we let the boys decide if they want to bring their own tent. We explain the differences in tents and that they don't need to go out and buy one. It is also made clear that the quartermaster needs to know who is bringing a tent so he doesn't have extra ones to worry about and he won't have an extra one if they forget theirs.

We have troop tents but allow the scouts to bring their own if they want. (some have earned them through popcorn sales or other fundraisers and are very proud of them).

The only stipulation is you carry your own gear, no more than two scouts in a tent, the troop is not responsible for any damage to personal gear.

Bob

Yeah, Bob White is right when he says boys may be quite proud of their tent. I remember when I got my first tent. It was the ugliest tent in the entire world, but it was MY tent. I was proud of it and I took it everywhere. Luckily for me it still kept the rain out. In my troop we allowed boys to bring their own tents aslong as it wasn't a trip that we wanted to look uniformed. For example on camporee's we all used the troop timberline tents just so we would look sharp.

There's plenty of arguments on both sides, I think. There's something to be said for uniformity, especially if your campsite's being inspected/graded (as ours are during camporees). Also, it's easier for first year Scouts to get tents up in the dark (which also seems to happen to us at camporees) if it's the same type tent each time. Of course, that only works if you have sufficient numbers of the same tent to camp your whole troop, which we do. It's easier for PLs and Scouts to plan patrol campsites if they know what their patrol's tent "footprints" are going in.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with Scouts learning different tent types, how they go up, and their pros/cons (it's part of the Camping MB requirements, too). There's the "pride in ownership" factor, too. I wouldn't object if a Scout wanted to bring his own, within reason...

KS

We also have enough tents to go around.

Eureka Timberline Outfitters too. We also have a supply of the six man Eureka Timberlines for the adults to use (so we CAN stand up!). Our scouts use troop tents except for our Family Campout. The campsite really looks sharp when all the tents are uniform.

"On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with Scouts learning different tent types, how they go up, and their pros/cons (it's part of the Camping MB requirements, too). There's the "pride in ownership" factor, too. I wouldn't object if a Scout wanted to bring his own, within reason..."

or my favorite, camping without tents!

Our troop does not own tents; boys must supply their own - and these boys are not from a "money area" (no offense taken).

Pros

- "Ownership" It's yours - take care of it

- No maintenance burden for troop, no storage space needed.

- Doesn't matter if there are 10 kids or 100

- Pride - I sold popcorn, saved my allowance, etc. to buy my tent and I'm proud of it.

Cons

- Financial burden is informally placed on some Scouts and not on others since not everyone buys a tent. I think that both of my sons' tents have been on every campout for the past six years.

- "Ownership" It's not mine, it's Joey's. Joey also usually bears the burden of maintenance, wear, tear, and repair.

- Control of quality/maintenance - some of the tents are not properly cared for, leak when it rains, etc.

- Lack of consistency. Some can only afford a very small tent, others a cabin.

The troops I was in as a Scout and early on in my leader years all owned tents. Personally, I like it better that way. With one troop we had one or two campouts each year where the Scouts could bring their own tents. The present troop does not own tents, has not for as long as anyone remembers, and the prevailing attitude is that it's just one less thing to earn money for and maintain.

Our troop does not own tents, and it is unlikely we would ever own any. Not because we are impoverished, but because of lack of storage. My biggest problem with boys bringing their own tents is the uncertainty about the quality and condition of the equipment. Also, many families own larger family size tents that the boys want to use. The objective should be to get them into two man tents as quickly as possible. In this regard, troop ownership is probably a good idea if the troop can afford it and has a place to keep them.

our troop has enough Timberlines for boys AND adults, although a few are out for repair right now and if everyone in the troop went on a trip AND the adults wanted to use troop tents, we might be tight....

Our boys always use troop tents, but the adults mostly prefer to bring their own tents - and mostly so they can stand up, too. Plus, to preserve our tents, our troop has a rule - no packs in the tents. With frame packs this makes sense - but it is rather inconvenient. So I bring my own tent - one I can stand up in and put my stuff in.

One thing about using private tents -

this past summer, the mosquitoes around here were absolutely unbearable. No amount of sprays, etc kept them at bay. the troop owns and uses a BIG canvas dining fly, but one parent sent a screen tent along to summer camp. The boy and his best friend started to set it up, and made some kind of comment about "this is the "first class" hangout" (we only had 5 boys at this campout - they were the only two 1st class) I heard that and put them straight - that the tent would be shared by ALL the troop, not just them, or it would go back on the bus.

Well, they DID agree, but it was obvious that something was going on, because the other boys didn't use it and only the two boys were ever in it. So I moved the comfy chairs in there, the advancement box & the drink coolers, and I started sitting in there myself, and kept calling the boys over to go over records, or check progress, etc. Eventually, they would sit together and play cards & share snacks.

This same boy comes from a well-to-do family and has lots of good equipment - but we've had to make a troop rule of no private equipment unless cleared by the SM - because he has pulled this stunt many times. Like not letting his younger patrol members cook or light the stove - because it's HIS MSR stove and they might hurt it? They're the ones that NEED to cook!

But the point is, SOME kids will play the "this is mine, therefore I determine who plays" when they bring thier own stuff, even if they KNOW and agree to share in front of the adults.

In our Troop we require the Scouts to use the Troop tents, becuase in the past we have had probloems such as tents being slashed at summer camp, or even scouts getting mad at other scouts so they do their business on the tent (yuck). Anyway these were only one-time problems and have been handled and solve, anything can happen - afterall kids will be kids.

InsaneScouter

http://insanescouter.com