Applying Wood Badge related skills

I think that maybe what we have here is a failure to communicate. (Yes I know it's cool!!)

Bob White (I think? And I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Is talking about the Wood Badge Course (The syllabus / presentations and all that good stuff.

John-in-KC (Who will also correct me if I'm wrong) Is referring to the Wood Badge experience.

One of the guys who served on Staff for NE-IV-153 is a very talented canoeist, he served as a Troop Guide. Thanks to Wood Badge the participants in the Patrol he served have used his skills and services to take the youth they serve out on the water.

Of course Wood Badge doesn't include canoeing in "The Course", but due to them being where they were and him also being there?? It happened.

It might not ever happen again? I don't know.

The fellow I had serve as SPL. A truly wonderful fellow is a Lutheran Minister. I found out a lot about Lutherans. Again this was part of the experience for me at that time and place.

On the other hand I know that I use (Apply) a lot of the Wood Badge Skills (Stuff from the syllabus.) In my everyday workings with other people. I now because of the course do really work harder at listening and communicating, I'm far more aware of where we are with Team Development, I do use the steps in problem solving. I could go on.

I think myself very lucky in having copies of the syllabus which I do at times refer too.

I have to go out for a while.

Maybe after I have some time and I have got the little gray cells working, I'll start a thread ; something along the lines of "Which Wood Badge Skills could be use to help with recruiting"

Eamonn.

"I'll start a thread ; something along the lines of "Which Wood Badge Skills could be use to help with recruiting"

Thanks Eamonn but wasn't that in my opening post? I am sure it was. Of course it was in the terms used from the previous version of the course because that was the one that the poster had taken. But that is what this thread was supposed to be about (note the subject line) from the get go.

Perhaps your new thread on the same topic will receive more favorable moderation than this one did.

BW

Ah Bob, you seem to have missed my point entirely, which was not merely to toss about Monty Python quotes for the pure fun of it, I assure you. Actually I had written a longer post about how one cannot seriously expect to control the direction of a conversation - especially an online conversation - and about how incessant bickering was bringing the entire discussion down to a point of total irrelevance anyway. And then I thought, hey, I could make the same point using a little bit of humor and surely, surely, Bob and some other posters would get it!

Alas, alack, I was at least half-way mistaken.

At any rate I find it most amusing that you complain about "your" thread not being properly moderated over here, while at the same time going off on a quasi-poetic tangential jaunt into limerick-land over in another thread that has nothing to do with limericks at all.

What you failed to take notice of LisaBob is that I am not the person who changed the topic in the thread you mention nor was I the first to post a limerick. In fact seven other posters whom you failed to criticize posted limericks before me INCLUDING the originator of the thread.

A thread by the way whose only point was a personal attack on me.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Well this will be my last post here in this thread. Bob, let me try one more time though, and I do mean this in sincerity.

The points I had hoped to make to you were that while you are unhappy with the turn this thread has taken:

#1 This is how conversations work. They meander about sometimes. Sometimes this actually leads to more fruitful discussion than if everyone stayed within the confines of precisely what the originator of the conversation had in mind. A bit of flexibility is key to having a good conversation. You simply cannot control the direction and still expect to have conversation worth having.

To give you a parallel, I know someone who started a blog with the notion that lots of different stakeholders in a particular community would get involved with the discussion. He encouraged people to think of his blog as a community forum that we all "owned" in common. That is exactly what happened, too. The focus of the blog was somewhat controversial though (workplace politics in one sense, responsible government in another sense), and it turned out the originator became uncomfortable with the opinions some posters expressed on his blog. So the originator of this blog changed the rules, began screening contributions in what some posters felt was a political manner, and reverted to ruling the page with an iron...keyboard (if you will). Result: that blog went from one of the more interesting and vital places to find out what people really thought and what was really happening in a quasi-secretive, overly bureaucratized environment, to a blog that is dull, boring, mundane, and frankly, now ignored by most people. That's what happens when one individual tries to control the conversation.

#2: It isn't that there are limericks in the other thread that I find funny. I don't actually think criticizing the other limerick posters (good or bad - though a few made me groan!) is relevant. But it strikes me as odd that you were a willing participant in LimerickFest '08 over there, all the while criticizing people over here for not sticking to your original intentions (to which I'd add, see point #1, above). Perhaps you don't see the irony there but I do.

As for WB skills and applying them - do you remember the Brown Sea games? Do you remember discussing different styles of leadership? Do you remember talking about the stages of group formation? Do you remember discussing various aspects and techniques for improving communication within groups? I see many lessons that could be applied in THIS setting, let alone, back in our units.

(This message has been edited by lisabob)

Typos, sorry(This message has been edited by lisabob)

LisaBob

1) In the other thread the originator fully and hapilly participated in the topic shift before I ever participated. The topic of the thread was to attack me. Changing the topic allowed the thread to remain.

I wanted to discuss the application of scouting leadership skills and was not looking for the conversation to be altered by the Monty Python Players.

2) Yes I am personally aware of the elements of Wood Badge for the 21st Century that you listed. But had you read the gentleman's original post that I referred to, you would have seen that he did not attend that course and so he would not be able to relate lessons he never learned to his situation.

So instead I used the topics from the previous version of Wood Badge which he HAD attended, so that the information was relevant to his needs and experiences.

Both Wood Badge courses have value even though they are very different, having served on staff several times on both courses, I felt that to answer his question using the leadership lessons that he was familiar with would be the most beneficial for him. Would you agree that that was the better approach to take?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)