Hi,

I have the second part of my wood badge course this weekend and while at work I'm trying to write up a draft of my ticket. I left my WB papers at home. So I have a question anyways. For the five goals for my ticket, are they specific goals for each? I do know one of them is Diversity. Are the other four goals just my personal goals to accomplishing the ticket? I tried doing a search online and could not find a specific answer.

Thanks

Warren

Warren,

I hope that your second weekend is as memorable as mine was last fall!!

Regarding your ticket, we were told to think of it as five individual Eagle Projects. They are independent of one another, and should focus in the area in which you presently serve in Scouting. A word of caution...don't back yourself into a corner when you write it. This includes things such as relying on other people to do certain things in order to complete the ticket item, or committing to projects that require some form of financial funding.

One of my ticket items addresses adult leader training in our Troop, as I am the Committee Chairman. I wanted to set a percentage goal for fully trained leaders, but my Troop Guide discouraged this because you cannot make people take training courses. My personal goal is still 100% trained adult leaders in our Troop, although the ticket doesn't state this. In 5 months, among our 21 adult leaders, we have completed 38 training courses. Twelve adults are now fully trained for their position and most of the others are getting closer to being fully trained. Needless to say, this has been a VERY rewarding and enjoyable ticket item for me!

The important thing is that your ticket items need to be YOUR ideas. What can you do to improve the program around you?

I had trouble coming up with 5 ticket items initially. I am not sure what position you presently hold, but you should try to include things that will be beneficial to the specific group in which you serve (pack, troop, post, district, etc.). Two of my ticket items benefit the Council, and three primarily benefit my Troop.

Let me know if you still have questions!

Regards,

Darren

Thanks alot for your answers and explanations! I am the committee chairman for my Cub Scout pack. I am also a Bear den leader. I've put alot of thought into this and really want the whole pack to benefit from my ticket. And like you said Darren, we were told at our first course not to make our ticket where we had to rely on others. I made that my personal goal when becoming committee chairman to get the pack 100% trained which we did and earned the Quality Unit Award for this year. That made me feel good!

I've taken my last couple years experience to see what we need and I always hear from leaders that they don't have a direction when they start each year. So I am create a resource of information for each den. It will contain all of the den meeting activities that the previous den leader did for that year. And each year it will be added to. So when a Tiger den leader becomes a Wolf den leader, he/she can look at what the previous leaders as Wolves did and can use those resources. I already have the leaders giving me this info so I do already have this stuff.

The other part of my ticket is to help new parents and scouts when joining understand how everything works. So I'm going to create a easy to understand handbook for them that answers all of the FAQs I have heard the past couple years from new parents.

I'm also creating a video to play at scout night that will show all about Cub Scouts, our pack ,etc.

And last, for the diversity goal, I need to find a way to get parents more involved in scouting. I was hoping this would work for diversity. Kind of mix stuff up and get parents involved in the den meetings, activities, unit committee, etc. Parents seem to stand on the sideline like at sports "watching" their son instead of helping. Every leader complains of this. So I need to concentrate on how to improve this.

So my ticket is all about creating resources for new and existing den leaders. And it is about improving communication for new parents and scouts. I'm gonna do a newsletter also to help with the communication part.

I just need to figure how to title the ticket with the two parts together being the den leader resource and the new scout info. Any thoughts? I really hope this helps everyone in my unit!

Warren

Warren,

I would suggest breaking these down into individual ticket items, such as:

Ticket item #1 - Den Leader resource guides

Ticket item #2 - Pack handbook (for new scouts)

Ticket item #3 - Diversity item

Ticket item #4 - ?

Ticket item #5 - ?

You will need to complete a ticket worksheet for each of the 5 items, and further expand on each one regarding your vision, SMART goals, etc.

Regards,

Darren

(This message has been edited by dnorrington)

Sorry, thats what I meant to say. I'm going to do it that way as you showed. The 4th ticket item will be the newsletter I am going to start for the pack for better communication.

The fifth one will be the video to use for Scout Night. Tonight I'll start writing them out with the info for each, my vision on how they help, etc.

I've thought of completely different tickets that I could do but I really wanted to have an impact on helping the pack run smooth with existing and new leaders and scouts. I've got 5 more years with the pack anyways - my other son is joining as a Tiger next year.

Thanks

Warren

Well, it turns out the diversity of getting parents more involved in the pack was not a true diversity item. I didn't think so anyways.

I was told Diversity as in regards to race, culture, religion, gender, language,family status, economic status, physical and cognitive ability. So I've got to think by tomorrow of what to do.

I could probably setup an event and invite another pack of a different religion to visit our pack together. Our existing pack does not include any different race, minorites or cultures in it which I wish it did. The other local school near us does but they have their own pack. I was going to promote scouting at their school this Fall but I would be stepping on that other pack's feet and I don't want to do that.

It just came to me... I forgot about them. We have three packs here on Wilmington Island - one is a different religion and the other includes different minorities I think. I could do some event with all three together. How about that?

Warren

Warren

You ticket goals will depend on your personal vision. The idea of the ticket structure is that each goal is a step toward a mission that leads to the vision.

It is not meant to be a random shopping list of various things you want to do. They should be steps toward a personal purpose.

What is your vision of what you want to accomplish in your role in scouting. What things can you do to move closer to that vision? Thoise things are you your ticket items.

Thanks everyone! I just finished the second part of the course this last weekend and it was a blast! I got all of my tickets written up and submitted. I only had to change some of the wording for a couple of them but they are approved. Now its time to work my tickets!

And if I can only get that Gilwell song out of my head!!! :)

Warren

Beaver

SR-882

Warren,

Congrats on completing your second weekend!! I do not think you ever get the Woodbadge song out of your head. I took a course back in the fall and I still haven't gotten the song out of my head, but I myself like the idea of keeping the song in my head because it reminds me of the ideals, values, and the leadership skills that learned during my time at Woodbadge. Keep on pushing forward and keep on thinking to yourself that "I am Going to Complete My Ticket if I Can."

eagle97_78

Course SR-847

Buffalo Patrol

Congrats on finishing your second weekend.

I completed the training part of Wood Badge this past fall (SR-837) and completed all of my ticket items two weeks ago. Submitting my workbook to my TG tomorrow at lunch.

And I will never forget that song either. When I hear it, I get chills, because it is sung with a bunch of Wood Badgers.

Warren,

I'm just curious, how did you end up writing your diversity goal?

I started WB in 1998, but could not finish due to a work fiasco. I submitted by application and payment already for a Sepember course this year in another Council.

I'm already thinking about the ticket items, and diversity seems to be the most challenging. I liked the addition of "family status" to your list as adiversity item. I have a few ideas kicking around that theme now.