I'm not new to the forum, just using a different name.

I recently was awarded the DAM.

Have any of you ever gotten an award that you felt that you were beneath.

I'm not going to give it back but I just wonder how you may have resolved it for yourself.

Thank you for listening.

Usually, when one receives the DAM (District Award of Merit), Silver Beaver, or OA Vigil Honor, they were not seeking or expecting it. It is usually a humbling experience, so of course, one would feel they aren't deserving of it.

However, your fellow scouts thought differently.

For the record, I am a DAM recipient (2001) and this past summer was chosen for the Vigil Honor (and given the name: Dachibouagac Methallimund Kitchkinet --and probably mispelled!. Which means: Patch Trading Guide).

First congratulations on being selected and recognized by your council. I hope you enjoyed the moment. It is certainly a different feeling than the recognition you recieve for completing a set of requirements.

I'm sure that not everyone feels that they do not deserve it, but I think that is the feeling most of us have who have been selected for recognitions such as the Award of Merit, it is very humbling to be selected by your peers for the same work that many others in the community do as well. In my case I just figured that everyone who really deserved it had already gotten it.

:)

D.A.M.

Congratulations!

I wish I could take credit for this quote. But I've heard it a few times and a friend had said it about Crew21_Adv during a Scout ceremony.

"This is not so much for what the recepient has done. But this is for what the recepient will do!"

Ideally, these awards are a "Thank You" along your own Scouting trail.

Receiving the District Award of Merit does not mean the end of of the trail in the Scouting program, but to make a recepient feel appreciated, and continue to help Scouts advance, conduct merit badge sessons, cook, sweep, move tents, staff camps, drive OA teams, chair committees and etc.

So, I expect your fellow Scouters in your District do think fondly of you, and (like your own Scouts) equally still expect alot more from you.

How have I resolved receiving any recognition. By working harder, camping in the cold, working in the heat, driving Scouts to camp and looking to staff the needs within the District.

Congratulations again!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)

Heck there's a council or district board that has 5 people on it!

5 folks think you rate!!!!

who cares what you think!!!!!

Congrats!!!

Really:

There was good advice here. Keep on trucking. There's alot of those feelings when earning anything. Your question makes me think of Gary Cooper in the SGT York movie. York's burden was bigger than yours.

It also says something about you that you think that way.

"How have I resolved receiving any recognition. By working harder, camping in the cold, working in the heat, driving Scouts to camp and looking to staff the needs within the District."

Just what I was thinking!

Congratulations!

I had the pleasure of seeing 7 scouters receive the Silver Beaver recognition a few hours ago. I know 6 of them quite well. I served on Wood Badge with three of them. One served as Scoutmaster of the troop where I also had been the Scoutmaster, The other two I have served on committees with. All are probably very surprised they were selected and each was an excellent choice. All the ones I know have given 15 years or more to scouting. More than that are very active in communities outside of Scouting. Many were involved in, United Way, Red Cross, Sunday School teachers, Church board members, youth athletic coaches, Chamber of Commerce officers, as well as unit leaders, traininers, committee members, etc. All outstanding choices. It is a real pleasure to see these kinds of people involved in the Scouting program.

Congratulations. The person or persons who put you in for it probably though you dissevered it.

When I received mine, I was taking photos of the event was told; Brian its going to be hard for you to take the photo of the next recipient.

Congratulations d.a.m.

By the looks of things with your new user name, you've accepted the challenge of being a DAM recipient.

The award is supposed to be a surprise at the District Dinner. When I received my award I wasn't as surprised as I should have been. I had made my weekly trip to our Council Service Center. I saw my wife there talking with some folks. My wife volunteered me to be Asst Cubmaster 11 years ago and pretty much hadn't stepped foot into the service center since, so I know something was up. LOL

Like you I was, and still am, very humbled by the experience. It will give you cause to give leadership to your District as you have in the past, maybe more so that you know it has made a difference.

Great job!

Just as an aside, in the District I serve, the DAMs are announced prior to the event. The District got tired of half or more of the DAM and District Fellowship award recipients not being present. The year I was to receive my DAM I was being a Range Master at a multi-council Venturing event. I was asked several times if I was going to the Disitrct Dinner and I replied I had committed to being Range Master and couldnt go, so much for taking a hint. Didn't know of the situation until the following Troop meeting on Thursday when I was congratulated. The Council did the same thing with the Silver Beaver and the Council Dinner, they announce the recipients to have all who want to honor them be present.

Different ways of doing things,

At our recent Council Dinner, we had 19 Silver Beavers (I was one of them, it was toooo cooool).

We were interviewed on camera a month prior by a professional video crew, and they showed it during our ceremony. That was kind of a WOW moment.

In the two council's I've been involved with, we've always notified recipients of the Silver Beaver, but never the DAM. We make it the nominators responsibility to get the DAM Recipient to the dinner, or we get sneeky with the spouse (in a good way). It's really fun when it's a couple, then you have to make sure they have a son in the program.

Good stuff!

At our recent Council Dinner, we had 19 Silver Beavers (I was one of them, it was toooo cooool).

We were interviewed on camera a month prior by a professional video crew, and they showed it during our ceremony. That was kind of a WOW moment.

In the two council's I've been involved with, we've always notified recipients of the Silver Beaver, but never the DAM. We make it the nominators responsibility to get the DAM Recipient to the dinner, or we get sneeky with the spouse (in a good way). It's really fun when it's a couple, then you have to make sure they have a son in the program.

Good stuff!

• 2 months later...

I know the feeling. I just received word that I will be the recipient of the D.A.M. as well. I wasn't really surprised, because of my role in the district, but I feel like there were definitely others more deserving - including one I nominated who was not selected.

My concern is that there are people who are doing AMAZING behind the scenes work that slip between the cracks and people like me who have the high profile roles, like me, get selected.

As for my nominee, perhaps we'll just have to skip straight to Silver Beaver and maybe next year I'll be on the D.A.M. selection committee.

-Keep America Green, Join Venturing.

"Have any of you ever gotten an award that you felt that you were beneath."

Nope. I always figured that if I was given an award someone figured that I deserved it. Now if only the gods of the Power Ball would look my way . . .