Paper vrs. PDA (PocketPC, Palm) - allow?

Any "thought out" positions on Scouters using technology to calendar and take notes on their PDA's during troop and patrol meetings?

And what about PDA's that can take pictures - should these be allowed on hikes?

I'm looking for well thought out policy and not just the typical "ban them all - didn't want to think it out" answers. Where does your troop stand on technology issues?

I LOVE technology.

I love electronic toys (both the kid kind and the grownup kind) and would not want to be without my cell phone, Palm pilot, home computer, internet, fax machine, answering machine - how far should I take this? can I include my new dishwasher? ;-) All the modern conviences and inventions are terrific.

they are also a great way to reach the boys - as bombarded as they are with electronics - you CAN NOT escape the impact they have in their lives. Yes, there are problems - our kids expect instant rewards, instant gratification - and that can be a problem. But if you just say "no" to all electronics without an understanding of their importance to the boys, their use or value - then you are missing the point of these "tools".

yes TOOLS.

Would you object to taking a backpacking cookstove on a campout? another tool of modern technology. What about your ultralight, ultra warm sleeping bag? or a flashlight? are you going to have the boys find their way to the latrine at night with the help of a candle or a kerosine lantern? Maybe they did that in Baden Powell's day - and learning about those things has value, too - but I still like flashlights!

We have a laptop that belongs to the troop, and of course, we use Scout software for advancement tracking. Our boys have created power point presentations to advertise our troop to prospective members and another for their parents, incorporating photos they and I have taken with my digital camera. How cool is that?

Just as we teach the boys to use the appropriate tool in different situations, we also must teach them when it is appropriate to use the tools of technology.

Palm pilots are great for taking notes, and for adults to keep track of all their appointments, to -do lists, phone /address lists, documents and photos, etc. though I don't use mine for note - taking at meetings, I do keep everything on it's calendar, and reminder notes. Though I'd love to know if there's an advancement tracking program for palm OS2 - it sure would beat that big 3 ring binder I carried around at camp!

I have a free star charting program that we have used on one campout ( tells us where to find a constellation based on a specific date and time) and when my watch died the first night at summer camp last summer, though I had left my palm in the car - it came in handy as an alarm clock!

Basically, our troops policy is that if it has a use that enhances the program we are doing - then use it. If it's strictly for entertainment, and especially if it shuts others out, then leave it at home.

If you think of them as tools, then it becomes easier to define your troop's take on them.

In our Venture Crew many of the scouts use PDA"s and Di's. Just after an event they will post their pictures on their website.

The future is here and adults need to make guidelines. All the meeting notes and calendar are on PDA's first then transfered to the website. They make plans and send messages to eachother about up-coming events on the web, just like to the telephone.

I see it as are they tools or amusement. CD players have limited use on scouting events, if any. GPS, PDA's etc. as tools to effect a safe trip or as teaching devices, are fine.

I know B-P didnt have them, but he didnt have Gore-Tex, Fleece, or polypropylene underwear either and I am not giving up mine. I see him as intelligient enough to use the availible resorces of the time, and I think he would want us to as well.

OGE

Matt 7:1-5

I have the GTSS, all advancement and MB requirements, SM minutes, etc., on my Palm 505. It's an alarm clock, a planetarium, and (with the backlight on) a nightlight inside the tent.

Here's another reason to use the things: Troopmaster is now offering an ME upgrade that'll download a PDA version of your data base to your PDA...so you can really take it on the road with you...

KS

Cool!

Where would you find this application?

do you have a link or is it just part of the newest version of troopmaster?

I'm not sure what software we use in our troop - but I know we recently got an upgrade... gotta check it out

I find it interesting that the original post assumed that most (or some) people responding would have a problem with adult leaders bringing PDA's or similar devices, and nobody has. The issues that have come up on camping trips in my pack are videogame machines (like gameboys) that some of the boys bring, and in one case a portable tv that one of the fathers brought. Saturday morning his son and a few others are sitting in the middle of the campsite watching cartoons. It detracts what we are all out there for. But a device like a PDA that a Scouter wants to use for troop business? I cannot see why that would be a problem.

A more difficult issue involves those parents whose businesses require them to be "in touch" 7 days a week, and they are at a campout on a cell phone making deals. I think it is somewhat disruptive, on the other hand it does not happen very often, and if the other alternative would be that the parent (and their son) would not be able to attend the camping trip at all, the cell phone is a small price to pay. Most of the adults (including me) do have cell phones on camping trips to stay in touch with their spouse and other children, which I think is reasonable.

Have no problem with properly used tools, as long as they do not turn into toys. Either electronic or non-electronic.

Example: PDA for notes, ok. PDA for solitaire, not ok. Wallking stick for walking or lashing, ok. Walking stick as light saber, not ok.

YIS

• 1 month later...

I think that a PDA would be fine, but you should also take paper along in the case that something was to happen to the PDA. I think this is a good policy with most electronic items taken on campouts (GPS should be supported by compass, PDA by paper...).

I carry several electronics with me on hikes and campouts.

Cheap Digital camera (24.99 at Office Max)

Disposable camera (3.99 at Walmart)

Getting a cheap PDA (19.99 at Radio Shack)

FR50 FRS two way radios from Motorola

PDA's, GPS, digital camera's - no problem. These electronics are useful devices not toys. Gameboys, TV's and th like are toys and have no place on a campout. My Scouts know these are not allowed on camping trips. I do however allow them in the vehicle traveling to & fro the trip but they must stay in the vehicle & not be used during the campout.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10