How about Sea Badge training...........

I have gone out of my district for training and wouldnt mind going outside of my council but the biggest problem I have is finding the training. Every council and district has various formats for there web sites and then you have the issue of current information with accurate points of contact. Even in my own council its difficult to get current info and not all the districts update the council calendar or training is being conducted but not highly publicized.

Since I am trainer development qualified I would love to get a hold of an approved course of instruction for SSOST to bring back to my council. I am sure there are a few ships in the Carolinas (near me at FT Bragg) who could benefit. There is also a potential ship in my area as well, so i am also recruiting for Seabadge.

Thanks!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Since I am trainer development qualified I would love to get a hold of an approved course of instruction for SSOST to bring back to my council."

The approved course is on the Sea Scout website in the Training area. http://www.seascout.org/

http://www.seascout.org/about/program/training_resources/specialized/index.html

PDF: ftp://ftp.seascout.org/pub/Training/Sea_Scout_Officer_Specialized_Training_Instructors_Guide.PDF

PPT: ftp://ftp.seascout.org/pub/Training/SeaScoutSpecialized.ppt

Also speak with your Regional Commodore and Area Rep (whatever they may be called in your region). They can give you assistance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I attended Seabadge Conference SR-33 and am very glad that I did.

As was pointed out by several others, Seabadge is not a Sea Scouting version of Wood Badge and was not intended to be. Topics presented in both settings are covered in more detail in Wood Badge. If a learner wants to understand and experience team development and leadership, then I would recommend Wood Badge. However, the Seabadge conference did a good job of reviewing leadership principles as they relate to Venturing age youth.

The value of Seabadge comes from the topics not covered in Wood Badge. Besides the formal presentations, which were very interactive, the syllabus enabled me to have about eight hours of one-on-one and small group conversations which enhanced my knowledge of both the Venturing and Sea Scouting programs. We all know that talking with someone who does it, is better than reading about how it should/could be done.

Reflecting on my conference experience, I have identified several action items which could improve our Scouting Program and I have already had conversations with our Council Commissioner and Assistant Scout Executive about some of those items.

I also now understand the usernames HawkUH60 and Buffalo Skipper .

• 9 years later...