How about Sea Badge training...........

Yes the southern region. Yes I have contacted the POCs on the region site and have not heard from them in a long while. Just thought I would send out a message here since there are so many more well educated scouts out here that sometimes have better info then they guys in the echelon above reality.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yes the southern region. Yes I have contacted the POCs on the region site and have not heard from them in a long while."

Contact Barry Ekle, the regional commodore. My attempts to contacting the person running the course has been fruitless (I asked to be on staff, and got no response). The last time I spoke with Barry, the issue was finding a location for the course. Its pretty bad they still haven't worked that out. I know we have people in my area that want to take it.

Buffalo Skipper seemed to "be in the know" and said yesterday something would be coming out shortly. Hopefully its a go. I really want to attent. I have always been interested in Sea Scouting. thanks for the update. Now that I think about it i know someone from the interational conference i was at in June who is on the region SS staff. Pete Armstrong i think was his name.

thanks again

Ahoy Captain,

I sat 2 rows in front of you at the international conference and have attended Seabadge myself. Infact I was shocked to see that out of 65 participants in our International Conference, 5 of us that I knew of that had taken Seabadge training.

Myself, there was two scouters in the row just in front of you, Pete as you mentioned and another Skipper who had a beard one day and shaved the next.

I've come to learn that Sea Scouts is the best kept secret in scouting. But I'm trying to change that by taling about it as much as possible.

Hey Guy!

Yeah I was surprised to see alot of seabadgers as well. I missed out on the one last April in GA. I am hoping this on in FL is a go and its somewhat close to me in NC. I was also thinking about going to the seabase conference center for a leaders conference in Jan. That place looks fun!

Do you have any Sea Scout Leaders Speciffic training on power point? I looked on Scout Stuff and they do not have a CD or anything.

I may be going out on a limb here, but as best I know, there are 2 locations under review right now, but no decision has been made. I am helping coordinate one of the locations, which, as I understand it, is being considered as a backup. I do not know the status on the "main" location, but that is in the hands of the regional volunteers. I will certainly spread the word as soon as a determination makes it my way.

In referecne to Southern Region's Seabadge course potential location, has anyone considered Pamilico Sea Base in East Carolina Council? Grant you they are about to get hit by Hannah, but they have a real nice set up there.

"Do you have any Sea Scout Leaders Speciffic training on power point? I looked on Scout Stuff and they do not have a CD or anything."

Scout Stuff (National Supply) does not carry that syllabus.

Go to the Sea Scout website (www.seascouts.org) and go into the Training area. You will find the syllabus, including the PPT.

"So would the venturing uniform be ok to wear for this event?"

Within the Southern Region, Venturing leaders attending Seabadge is ok, and they wear the Venturing uniform. If you check the course photos at the SR Sea Scout page (sregion.seascout.org), you will see several Venturing leaders in the pictures wearing green.

TENTATATIVE UPDATE ON SEABADGE SR-33

This is unofficial and off the record, but it is the current "plan."

SR-33 will likely be held at in Marianna, Florida, Novmeber 14-16. Though not a seacoast location, the conference center is a top notch facility in every way.

Registration details will hopefully be out by early next week; cost has not yet been finalized. I will continue to keep updates posted here as they become available.

"Its my understanding that sea scout leaders specific training which is a requirement for attending is usually given the night before since most councils do not usually give this course?"

That is usually the case with the Southern Region Seabadge courses. I would hope this would be so with the upcoming course in November.

There is also the option of attending the SSOST course in another council.

I think I can confidently say that the Seabadge will begin in the evening and will be preceeded by SSOST that afternoon.

I attended SR-28 and the SSOST before the course, as SSOST was not offered in my council at that time. We now offer SSOST at least 2x a year (and again for any new ship which is starting up).